Sabres Trade Taylor Hall (50% of His Salary Retained)and Curtis Lazar to Boston for a 2021 2nd and Anders Bjork

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I still don't see how Sabrespacers could have watched Taylor Hall play this year and say they would have given up a first for him is they were the GM of a contender.

Hall hasn't been MVP Hall since he blew out his knee. I'll repeat, 18 goals in his past 112 games.

Well, Sabrespacers couldn't, but how did we feel about Hall before the games this year? We weren't talking about "non-mvp" hall, we were talking about how good he was going to be. 

I think people believed there was a non negligible chance people would maintain that perception into the deadline, writing off the entirety of his time here as "because buffalo"

didn't happen. but the perceptions we had only a short time ago only needed to bridge 37 additional games for outsiders, so it didn't seem to crazy to say hope for a 1st

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The Sabres shouldn't be near the cap next year unless Adams is really really really bad at his job. 

True. But is he good at his job?

Ullmark holds all the leverage. A backup goalie needs to be a 1B because Ullmark has missed time with non-collision knee injuries in back-to-back years.

Dahlin is re-learning his game with Granato and increasing his value again. Ditto Jokiharju. Mitts is now a center again, and probably the 2C behind Eichel. Reinhart, a McCabe replacement...    It'll be like this summer when half the roster was UFA. The money is going to disappear quicker than we expected. Especially since 4th liners like Eakins and Girgensons are making 2M+ each. And Skinner. Oh, Skinner.

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I still don't see how Sabrespacers could have watched Taylor Hall play this year and say they would have given up a first for him is they were the GM of a contender.

Certainly. I cap at 2nd, and just like Boston I'd have really pushed for just a 3rd.

On the Sabres side --- instead of taking Bjork and giving away my only grit C in Lazar, really my only gritty forward, period... (Cozens isn't and shouldn't be as a rookie, Okposo could but can't respond to anything because he's a jostle away from concussion) ---   if Boston needs to free up $800k, then we just say "give us an AHL JAG." The equivalent of JS Dea or CJ Smith. If Bjork is being replaced in the lineup, then Boston can always demote him. His 1.6M will clear waivers. He can take the place of the Dea/Smith equivalent for Providence.

11 minutes ago, GoPre said:

Buffalo

Hall, Lazar, Montour, and Staal for a 2nd, 2 3rds, a 5th and Bjork.  

Columbus 

Foligno, Savard, and an injured Nash for 2 1sts, a 3rd, a 4th and a 7th.  

Just wow. 

Foligno and Savard are both way better hockey players by themselves than the Buffalo group combined, unless Montour of the last 2 weeks is the real Montour.  NHL teams watched hockey games and noticed this 

• Like (+1) 1

I've been looking at the Bruins press releases and reading articles like this one:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/bruins-take-advantage-sabres-taylor-hall-trade/

and I'm starting to think Taylor Hall kind of screwed us for the money.

It appears he wanted to be a Bruin before the season but they couldn't work around their cap so he came here and now he was handcuffing Adams with his no move clause so the Bruins deal was pretty much the only option we had. There's some speculation here but listen and read for yourselves and I think it leads one to that conclusion.

IF he plays well in Boston I think it would confirm it. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I've been looking at the Bruins press releases and reading articles like this one:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/bruins-take-advantage-sabres-taylor-hall-trade/

It appears he wanted to be a Bruin before the season but they couldn't work around their cap so he came here and now he was handcuffing Adams with his no move clause so the Bruins deal was pretty much the only option we had. There's some speculation here but listen and read for yourselves and I think it leads one to that conclusion.

So he effectively pulled a Babcock.

I hope the Sabres look into investigating this for tampering

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Boston gets a free trial for contract negotiations too - hopefully he does well so they lock him up.  Cuz from what i saw, he's not the impact player on the ice that he believes he is.

34 minutes ago, GoPre said:

Buffalo

Hall, Lazar, Montour, and Staal for a 2nd, 2 3rds, a 5th and Bjork.  

Columbus 

Foligno, Savard, and an injured Nash for 2 1sts, a 3rd, a 4th and a 7th.  

Just wow. 

I’m going to assume you think that Hall is by far the best player here, because there is no way that Staal, Montour and Lazar come anywhere close to Foligno or Savard.

People need to accept that at his salary, with a NMC, lack of playoff experience or leadership reputation, and with the way he played this season the market for Hall just was not there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.