Sabres Trade Taylor Hall (50% of His Salary Retained)and Curtis Lazar to Boston for a 2021 2nd and Anders Bjork

Brawndo

I'm so confused, how did the Leafs give up a 1st+4th for Nick Foligno who has 3 less points than Hall yet we retained half Halls slalary and threw in Lazar and only get a 2nd and some shitbird who nobody has ever heard of? It's inexcusable. We need a solid GM who's been there before along with a HC who's coached before. Why would we take on another rookie GM, this trade was bush league. Montour/Hall/Lazar has only netted us a 2nd/3rd and some tool who'll probably never suit up for us. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Eleven said:

My point is that there is value to standing up to the league and saying, "hey, you want this guy, give me what he's worth.  Or no one gets him."  I've said that a couple of times, but I don't expect that you've read every one of my posts.  

Your "point" is actually ridiculous.  I laughed out loud reading it.

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Interested to learn more about Bjork. 

If we want to win next year, we need to make tough decisions on the pool of Lazar, Sheahan, Rieder, Eakin, Okposo, Girgensons. Players of low value, that you really only want 2 of next year, unless you want to run back 2 mediocre 4th line types again for half of each game next year. I don't mind making a decision on Lazar with this deal, even though I think we lost in overall value. That removes one player. 

If it were up to me, I'd come back next year with Girgensons and ditch the rest (Okie would get a shot, and if he can still play he'd play, if not I'd have the uncomfortable convo and waive him)

They chose Eakin over Larsson, I don't really trust them. 

46 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Come on.  Look at other trades.  Foligno, Palmeri, etc.  Adams could and should have done better.

No GM with functional eyesight would’ve valued Hall as equal with Palmieri or Foligno for a playoff run starting in a few weeks at this point.  He’s been freaking terrible.  Palmieri is a smart, consistently productive forward who can score it and pass it and Foligno is a warrior.

No one was giving up a #1 for Hall.  

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I would have much rather just done Hall for a 2nd than throw in the other pieces.

I suspect the Sabres, with their USAHockey bias targeted Bjork and Lazar was the price they had to pay.

Personally, I think Curtis Lazar is exactly the kind of player I want on.my fourth line, and struggle to see the difference between Bjork and Caggiula and CJ Smith or Bryan Flynn, but what do I know?

I’d guess you’re right that they view Bjork as having more upside than Lazar.

Bjork, by the way, is fast, turns 25 this summer, played 3 years at Notre Dame, a very good NCAA program, and was very productive, a 2nd team all-American and a hobey baker award finalist.

Maybe this one will cash in.  In the meantime as noted upthread he comes from a winning organization.  

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I'm so confused, how did the Leafs give up a 1st+4th for Nick Foligno who has 3 less points than Hall yet we retained half Halls slalary and threw in Lazar and only get a 2nd and some shitbird who nobody has ever heard of?

Simple:  The Leafs got fleeced.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

Bjork isn’t an Eakin/Leino/Sobotka.  Those 3 don’t even belong in the same grouping, and I don’t see how someone making $1.6 for 2 seasons can be compared to Lieno, or even Sobotka.

the essence of his point was that we may have been better off doing nothing. and I said that's a possibility 

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Categorically false.

There’s not a single GM who would have respected Adams for throwing away a free 2nd rounder. Many of them probably thought trading him at the deadline to the highest bidder after signing him to a one-year deal and failing to make the playoffs was a obvious possible outcome from the beginning and a no-lose one to boot.

You don't know this is categorically false at all. 

The second round pick could easily amount to nothing and Lazar could easily be the better player for half the price and half the term 

If they said "trade us lazar for bjork or it's a 3rd" .. take the 3rd. for example. or maybe even not make the deal at all. I don't know a lot about Bjork but why should I trust Adams' evaluation on bottom 6 players 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

No GM with functional eyesight would’ve valued Hall as equal with Palmieri or Foligno for a playoff run starting in a few weeks at this point.  He’s been freaking terrible.  Palmieri is a smart, consistently productive forward who can score it and pass it and Foligno is a warrior.

No one was giving up a #1 for Hall.  

Also, no one gave up a 1st for Palmeri either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Broken Ankles said:

To be honest, I don't blame KA.  I blame XHCRFK.  The optimistic view of Taylor some had when we signed him was dashed on the rocks by Krueger's terrible, awful, pathetic excuse for a system and even worse player usage.  Any value Hall might have had was ruined by RFK.  The last game Hall played for the Sabres he was on the Mitts line and he actually looked good.  He set up Mitts for a goal by receiving a breakout pass from Dahlin deep in the Sabres zone then quickly getting it to a breaking Mittelstadt and jumping up into the play to force the D man to play the pass, giving Mitts a good shot that he converted.  Granato was starting to get Hall to look decent, but after the season he had under Krueger, he was already pegged at pretty much worthless.

• Like (+1) 2

A bit more on Bjork:  he’s 6’0”, 198, he had 52 pts in 39 games as a junior at ND, then turned pro.  It looks like he missed about half of each of his 1st 2 pro seasons with injuries — he played 39 total NHL/AHL games in his 1st year and 33 in his 2nd, before playing 65 last year.  He’s played in 30 out of Boston’s 39 games this year.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Are you one of those people that just go along with whatever the Sabres do? If so I can't trust your reply.

I don't base my reactions to things on hard analytics, it's more my gut feel.  I wouldn't trust me, tbh.

Edited by Doohickie

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

Also, no one gave up a 1st for Palmeri either.

Two players, a first (2021), and a fourth (2022) for Palmieri and Zajac.  If your point is that the first wasn't for Palmieri alone, you're both correct and nitpicky.

Edited by Eleven

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You don't know this is categorically false at all. 

The second round pick could easily amount to nothing and Lazar could easily be the better player for half the price and half the term 

You find me a case where the hockey community respects a franchise for refusing to take a 2nd-round pick for any 2-goal scorer, let alone one who is costing you$4 million and is going to walk in 17 games. I'll wait.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Two players, a first, and a fourth for Palmieri and Zajac.  If your point is that the first wasn't for Palmieri alone, you're both correct and nitpicky.

Two players both having seasons as good as Hall (better?), returned a 1st, a 4th, a rental AHLer, and another AHLer

My point was that it took more than Palmeri to get a 1st.  It took Palmeri and another guy basically of equal value to get a 1st and a couple low end sweeteners.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.