If we fall out of last place and pick 8 again god help us

No I.D.

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

Tank time

200.gif

I don't get the impression you understand how "tanking" works. The deadline is gone, how would we gut this team of all talent to ensure we finish last?

Also there is no reason to do anything. The team is bad, just let it play out and do whatever it wants, best finish is 2nd worse team in the league and I highly doubt they make it there with Ullmark out. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't get the impression you understand how "tanking" works. The deadline is gone, how would we gut this team of all talent to ensure we finish last?

Also there is no reason to do anything. The team is bad, just let it play out and do whatever it wants, best finish is 2nd worse team in the league and I highly doubt they make it there with Ullmark out. 

I mean it was meant to be sarcasm, but ok

We may not have to worry about this....if Linus is out for any duration, I feel we have a good chance of losing enough games to finish last.  We won't catch anybody if Tokarski plays most of the games.

Maybe we even give UPL a shot a few games...from what I understand, he's not ready and this may help us lose a few more games.

Edited by Carmel Corn

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

We may not have to worry about this....if Linus is out for any duration, I feel we have a good chance of losing enough games to finish last.  We won't catch anybody if Tokarski plays most of the games.

If Linus is out for any length of time, the end of the season is going to be very painful.

On 4/11/2021 at 9:03 PM, No I.D. said:

The sabres are shooting themselves in the foot by winning. They are marginally out of playoff contention yet have decided to once again risk losing the chance to draft #1 overall. We have zero talent. Jack Eichel wouldn’t be a first liner on a Chicago black hawks team in the early 2010’s. Reinhardt wants an extension. I don’t even know who our goalie is. We are absolutely terrible. We need an actual hockey mind running the team, not a tennis mom who won’t give up her yacht. I don’t even watch hockey anymore. The sabres turned me into a UFC diehard when football season isn’t around. Those royal blue jerseys btw? I’m willing to bet they go back to navy next year because they relied on those sales for income during Covid. I’m so tired of seeing this team beat itself and it’s future up. We needed McDavid and got stiffed. We needed Matthew’s and got stiffed. We got Dahlin and.... look at his +\-. They need to trade the house and the farm and take at least 4 first rounders this year , 3 next year , and 2 the year after. But we don’t even have anybody worth more than an additional mid first round pick! We as a team are Enron.

This should say "long time listener first time caller" at the top 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Should they want to (and there is no reason to believe they want to & for the sake of the kids here that will be back next year they shouldn't want to) engage in a stealth tank, Ullmark reinjuring himself against the B's gives them the perfect opportunity to engage in a stealth tank.  Their holding him out until they're convinced putting him back in won't re-reinjure him would be a very plausible story and could extend his shelving to a point there is no mathematical way to pass Anaheim or another bottom feeder.

Personally, want him back ASAP so they can continue gaining confidence.  And expect Adams wants him back ASAP as well.  So, the issue should be moot.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Personally, want him back ASAP so they can continue gaining confidence.  And expect Adams wants him back ASAP as well.  So, the issue should be moot.

I don’t see Adams as a lose on purpose personality at all. No doubt in my mind he wants to see Linus back asap.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/14/2021 at 2:41 PM, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Realistically, we can catch 4 teams.  It is remotely possible to catch 4 more.  We are 5 point behind the next closest team, Ottawa, with 15 games remaining.

For some perspective, according to an old ESPNNews article, there are exactly 6 teams that have made up 6 point deficits in the standings with 20 games left to make the playoffs since The Lockout; the Sabres have 2 of those and could have had 3 others.  It is possible that multiple teams in front of us will collapse, but odds are against it.  But passing Ottawa, Anaheim, New Jersey, and Detroit will not be easy.

<rant>I hate losing.  It is a habit we need to break.  If the Sabres play DeLuca .500 hockey the rest of the way against the upcoming buzz saw, I will be thrilled because the team would finally be maturing.  I opposed The Tank and I support a winning streak now.</rant>

YMMV

5 against boston, 4 against pitt, 1 against Wash, 2 against the islanders and 2 against the rangers.  How many points do we honestly expect to get?  Especially with Tokarski in net for some...  Right now we've got 3 points agianst washington in 7 games, 1 point against boston in 3 games, 0 points against the islanders in 6 games, 0 points against pittsburgh in 4 games, and 6 against the rangers in 6 games (2-2-2).  No more games against the flyers or devils who are the teams buffalo has had success against, and the rangers are fighting for a playoff berth.  I don't like our chances.  

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

would be impressive to have an 18 game losing streak in a shortened season and not finish last. 

Edited by Drag0nDan

2 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

5 against boston, 4 against pitt, 1 against Wash, 2 against the islanders and 2 against the rangers.  How many points do we honestly expect to get?  Especially with Tokarski in net for some...  Right now we've got 3 points agianst washington in 7 games, 1 point against boston in 3 games, 0 points against the islanders in 6 games, 0 points against pittsburgh in 4 games, and 6 against the rangers in 6 games (2-2-2).  No more games against the flyers or devils who are the teams buffalo has had success against, and the rangers are fighting for a playoff berth.  I don't like our chances.  

would be impressive to have an 18 game losing streak in a shortened season and not finish last. 

Were Ullmark available, expect they could've at minimum split the remaining Pens games if not possibly even sweep the remainder.  Without him, figure 1W out of 4 seems about right.  Hopefully that 1 happens Saturday.

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If there was a draft to do it, this is it. 

I don’t care about finishing last all that much anymore but I also don’t agree with this logic. You always want to be higher in the draft regardless of the talent pool. It’s an asset.

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I don’t care about finishing last all that much anymore but I also don’t agree with this logic. You always want to be higher in the draft regardless of the talent pool. It’s an asset.

But his point is, IF it's going to happen, a weak year is best. And that's true. Just extend the argument a bunch - if it was so bad that only 3rd liners came of it, beating other teams at the draft won't net gain us as much as "beating" them in a strong draft. 

you have to make up ground not just within the draft but relative to other teams' current NHL rosters. 

Edited by Thorny

34 minutes ago, Hoss said:

But in a draft if you're gonna win a few, this is the one to do it because the talent between 1 and 4 is basically interchangeable. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.