GDT: Sabres @ Flyers 2 pm 4/11/21 MSG and WGR55 —

bob_sauve28

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

They must re-sign Uhlmark, and then sign a second real NHL goalie to pick up games and give us a chance to improve as a team.  We have kids in the pipeline but let’s have them beat out a good goalie to get here.  

The 1970 Entry Sabres had Roger Crozier, Joe Daley, and Dave Dryden.  Far better than any combo the Sabres have conjured up in years.  It cannot be this hard to get two decent goalies

Only 14 teams in the league back then.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

10 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Missed this one out on the kayak but loved me some highlights when I got back in. Its great to see the youngsters get their feet wet and contribute. Are the Flyers this bad or what ?

They're kinda like the Sabres. When things are going well it's fine, but then they have moments where the wheels come completely off. 

Their defense is sub par and their goalie situation is kind of a mess too. But I think it's more coaching than anything. They need to fire AV.

Edited by darksabre
  • Like (+1) 1

Catching up on the game...  Concentrate, feel The Concept Of (Moulson/Ehrhoff, now Skinner) flow. Yes, good, calm.... Through The Concept Of (Skinner), things you will see: other places, the future, the past. Old Sabres skaters, long gone.

3 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Buffalo looking good.......compared to early march.

I like the tempo, the pace, the crisp passing and the confidence in the O zone. The team is definitely improved, and I see great compete in their game now. 

The 2 goals were unfortunate, but nothing our boys can't overcome. I say Buffalo 5 - Philly 3 when all is said and done.

I wish I had your confidence.

3 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I still believe, Buffalo 5, Philly 3.

Your focus determines your reality.

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I'm tellin' ya, I'm feeling the Buf 5, Philly 3 force.

I never doubted you for a second. Wonderful!

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

And the Buf 5, Philly 3 is complete.

When @Scottysabres started the game he was but the learner. Now, he is the master.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was out doing some painful and necessary shopping (my last time buying new clothes was probably sophomore year of HS, and I have to start going back into office more often now). It was one of those games where multiple times, I refreshed the score on google after waiting 2 minutes, and had to double and triple check, because the score was changing so fast in both directions. Highlights show more of what I was hoping to see. 

I would love for this confidence and effort to continue into the Boston, Wsh, Pit etc. games. Wouldn't it be such a treat to update next year's roster skeleton with a whole new line that we can actually be confident in (74-37-72, the lucky 7s, the jackpot, what can we do with this?). Our job this offseason becomes much easier if we can cut into the number of players we need to bring in from outside the organization. Hit a few of the right spots with a few of the right vets, and away we go. 

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

They all seem to be goals that require a relatively high skill level too. 

His motor is just what Casey needed I think. We're getting close to "write this line down in pen for next season" territory

I was hoping Mitts and Thompson would've been starting together in ROC at the beginning of the year; Thompson's contract would've allowed the waivers. I'd have thought Asplund as a center there, but it could've been a nice top line for the Amerks. Instead, it took awhile, but we're seeing it here.

Other stray notes:

Remember when Thompson started the season as RW1 and promptly let us know he was not ready? So unready, in fact, he went to scratch. He's back as RW1 and is looking alright.

Bryson has played 23 games. He's averaging over 19 minutes a game. He just got back to an even +/-. On this team. Through the bulk of the 18-game losing streak. He and Risto aren't perfect, but they are a fit. Sorta like Pilut also meshed with Risto, somewhat.

Pilut. Now there's another puck-moving defenseman that floundered under RaKru.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Only 14 teams in the league back then.

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

And way less players as the league consisted of 99% Canadian players.  

Yep.  As the league grew from 12 to 21 Western Europe opened to the NHL & the Miracle on Ice happened.

As it grew from 21-30 Eastern Europe opened as well & the US started sending players from more than just Minnesota & Massachusetts.

Well, I only saw the 3rd, but I thought Casey looked pretty bad -- he was turning it over in the offensive zone every time he had it...until the very sweet move for the ENG...which the coach enabled by trusting Casey to close it out at the end of a 1-goal game.

Marty Biron said something I found interesting on the post-game show about that line -- he said Mittlestadt is a quick-starting skater, but not that fast overall, while Asplund is really fast, and that Asplund uses his speed to be an effective forechecker, which is the key to that line's success.

Also, I sure enjoyed seeing Skinner look like a force again and seeing Cozens again.  R2-Cozens-KO was an interesting and entertaining line to watch.

Against all odds, this team is giving us a reason to watch the games again -- even without Eichel!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Agree. We'll see over the rest of season. If it continues as it's been then I would think he'd be considered.

4-7-2?  No thanks.  Maybe you don't count the first 6 games (0-5-1) as his period of making the team his and it's 4-2-1.  If it continues at *that* pace then maybe, but I don't expect him to continue a 105 point/82 game pace.  But what the heck, we don't have to decide yet.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.