Sabres have made it a Top Priority to Re-Sign Linus Ullmark per Friedman

Brawndo

7 hours ago, Norcal said:

If I'm the Sabres I want to keep it at two, three years max and under $5 mil. He's emerging but still has some injury concerns and the team isn't there yet. The lessor deal gives the team some flexibility while they deal with bigger cap hits that need attention. 

If another team wants to overpay him with something like 5×5 or 6×6 they have to consider matching the 5×5 but they may regret that long term if the team doesn't improve. 

6×6 and he's gone

Now. If he signs at 4.5×2 and they are a playoff team because of him after year two then you go 6×6 and chase the cup. 

There's extremely flawed logic in here. Mainly the no 6x6 followed by, "once he's 2 years older we can do 6x6"

Sign him for 4 years now, stop Reinhart-ing him with bad short deals of 1 to 2 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I wonder what lessons have been learned from the Skinner deal...too much term AND too much money AND a full NMC. 

Im guessing they will get bent over again. 

I like Ullmark, but I would like to see us improve our goaltending beyond his numbers with a real 1A goalie if we could.

The tweet from Friedman makes it sound like the talks are stalling in some manner and that a deal may not get done.

That could be good or bad, depending on what else Adams can get done this off-season.

3 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I like Ullmark, but I would like to see us improve our goaltending beyond his numbers with a real 1A goalie if we could.

The tweet from Friedman makes it sound like the talks are stalling in some manner and that a deal may not get done.

That could be good or bad, depending on what else Adams can get done this off-season.

He's 16th for sv% this year. 

Pay him the 5 for 5 and move on.  He’s 27 and that will cover his prime.  He is an excellent 5 on 5 goalie, a much improved PK goalie and the best shootout goalie in the league.  His numbers are better then Demko’s but he is a couple of years older.  

If UPL develops into a star over the next 2-3 years then you let him back up  Ullmark for a season or two and then trade Ullmark as the contract should be easily moved.  This is what happened in Pitt and TB.  

12 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

While it's good to say they should get better than Ullmark in the fold, how are you suggesting they guarantee they do it without giving out a Skinner style deal for a guy that won't be worth it on the back 1/2 of the deal or making a trade gutting this team of a lot of its future?

Ullmark is at least a Biron (a poor man's starter & an awesome backup) but as he continues his assent, he could be significantly more than that.  Bring him in at ~$5x5 & still try to bring in another guy of that stature on a 3 or so year deal.   (Via trade or FA.)  That gives them 1 year of overlap with Luukkonnen's window for showing he belongs on the big team if he's going to do so.  Worry about fixing the glut of goalies when it (if it ever) develops.

13 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

i think the sabres need someone better than ullmark if they really want to be competitve

There are 47 goalies that have played 15 or more games this season ytd.  Ullmark is 15th in save % overall, 12% at even strength, 19th on the pk and leads the league in shoot out save %.

Guys behind him include Hart, Quick, Price, and Rask.

• Like (+1) 2

Don't worry, the Sabres will stand firm on their 3-year, $12-million offer and won't be able to complete a trade prior to the deadline.

Ullmark will sign a 4-year $18 million deal with the Leafs this summer and the 2021/22 hockey internet will be full of chatter about how he deserves to be in the Vezina conversation.

The Sabres will sign Freddie Anderson to a 2-year $10 million deal. By December he will be splitting time with Dustin Tokarski.

PS: Also, Risto will be traded to Carolina and put up some of the best fancystats even seen as the Canes make a run to the final four.

Edited by dudacek
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Don't worry, the Sabres will stand firm on their 3-year, $12-million offer and won't be able to complete a trade prior to the deadline.

Ullmark will sign a 4-year $18 million deal with the Leafs this summer and the 2021/22 hockey internet will be full of chatter about how he deserves to be in the Vezina conversation.

The Sabres will sign Freddie Anderson to a 2-year $10 million deal. By December he will be splitting time with Dustin Tokarski.

PS: Also, Risto will be traded to Carolina and put up some of the best fancystats even seen as the Canes make a run to the final four.

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

😂

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

There is no way he takes that from Buffalo without shopping himself around first.

if Demko got 5/5 the conversation has to start there.

I would give him that. I suspect the Sabres won't have to and he won't play hardball, but his deal will be at minimum $15 million and probably more like $20.

16 goalies have a cap hit of $5 million or more, 25 of them $4 million or more.

Linus will just want a clear sign the team sees him as the man moving forward, so that probably means he takes less salary (under $5) if you give him term (at least four years). But you aren't getting one of those without giving on the other.

$4.75 for 5 years.  Book it ... with 'signing bonus' upfront in the area of $10 million, or is that not a thing in the NHL anymore?

46 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

There are 47 goalies that have played 15 or more games this season ytd.  Ullmark is 15th in save % overall, 12% at even strength, 19th on the pk and leads the league in shoot out save %.

Guys behind him include Hart, Quick, Price, and Rask.

And that actually understates how good he has been because save percentage doesn't factor in difficulty/quality of shots faced.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Toronto has Jack Campbell, who is currently on an 11 game winning streak. They have him for one more full year 

7 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Toronto has Jack Campbell, who is currently on an 11 game winning streak. They have him for one more full year 

You mean that guy who hasn’t been able to stay healthy or live up to expectations for his entire career?  I think they probably want some security in goal as opposed to depending on  Jack Campbell for their playoff run.

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

There's extremely flawed logic in here. Mainly the no 6x6 followed by, "once he's 2 years older we can do 6x6"

Sign him for 4 years now, stop Reinhart-ing him with bad short deals of 1 to 2 years. 

6 year terms just might be a little too much for a goalie. Every team comes to regret them eventually.

My thinking is IF the team is playoff ready and Ullmark is the reason then you give him the bigger deal at that time. 

If he would sign for 4 or 5 years at 4 mil per maybe that could work but I would think he and the team would appreciate the flexibility of a two year deal so they can see what happens going forward. 

If the team is still struggling, he or the team can move on at that point. He'll still young enough to land another good deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Norcal said:

6 year terms just might be a little too much for a goalie. Every team comes to regret them eventually.

My thinking is IF the team is playoff ready and Ullmark is the reason then you give him the bigger deal at that time. 

If he would sign for 4 or 5 years at 4 mil per maybe that could work but I would think he and the team would appreciate the flexibility of a two year deal so they can see what happens going forward. 

If the team is still struggling, he or the team can move on at that point. He'll still young enough to land another good deal. 

But, there is very little likelihood Ullmark is signing a 2 year deal & if he doesn't re-sign then the Sabres need to bring in 2 goalies rather than just 1.  Which is a recipe for their struggles to continue.

Fix the goaltending & get the C spine to a point that they can handle the inevitable Eichel injury & this team makes the playoffs.  Even in this awful season, give them last year's Eichel from day 1 & 1 of AZ's, Columbus', or Calgary's goalies to platoon with Ullmark & they're really in the mix if not on the inside looking out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.