Don Granato as a HC

JoeSchmoe

20 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Lets be honest  Darcy regier would have done better lol.

Can't believe I just said that 

Darcy was a good GM that usually worked under lousy conditions.  We didn't appreciate it at the time, but we should now.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

Darcy was a good GM that usually worked under lousy conditions.  We didn't appreciate it at the time, but we should now.

Darcy is by far, the best GM at dismantling a team. Should get into he Buffalo sports HoF for this feat. 

As for building a team, he was never allowed to, so can’t comment on this skill  

45 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Totally blacked out out on his firing but correct. Nine NHL players in three years. THAT’S good drafting. Put some respect on his name.

The Fasching deal was bad. They traded Robyn Regehr for two seconds then trade them for Fasching and Nic Deslauriers. Fasching failed and was traded for two NHL failures. Deslauriers was traded for Redmond who did nothing in the NHL but Nic D still has an NHL career right now.

Totally. Definitely discredit the GM for your own confirmation bias. No problem there.

What part did he have drafting him? 

40 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Darcy is by far, the best GM at dismantling a team. Should get into he Buffalo sports HoF for this feat. 

Question: who built the post-lockout team that went to the conference finals?

33 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Final assessment on Granato. Nah. 

We need to hire a big name for a huge amount of money and then sign a bunch of expensive free agent underachievers.

• Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, kas23 said:

How many conference final teams did he oversee?  How many Stanley Cup finals teams?  How many of each have the Sabres seen in their history?

Darcy was a good GM.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We need to hire a big name for a huge amount of money and then sign a bunch of expensive free agent underachievers.

What is your plan?  After 10 years of bending the fans over, you want to sell them on Granato, Mitts, Tage, Asplund and Bryson?

...or has Kym been letting you in on her “we know more than you” insights?

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

What part did he have drafting him? 

He was the GM. Give me evidence he had nothing to do with the decision. Give me evidence he didn’t do the correct thing in believing in his scouts to do their job.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He was the GM. Give me evidence he had nothing to do with the decision. Give me evidence he didn’t do the correct thing in believing in his scouts to do their job.

Give me evidence he was a good gm. Our opinions aren't evidence o ly opinions. My opinion? He was bad!

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The Sabres’ list was set. With just one day to go until the 2014 NHL Draft, Buffalo’s scouts and management team had wrapped up their final meeting in Philadelphia. All that remained was the fun part: picking guys.

But European scout Fredrik Andersson had a name he wanted to stress. The prospect was the son of a former teammate and Andersson had watched him since he was a little kid. The scout knew the teen had flaws. Actually, every team knew the kid had flaws because he went undrafted during his first year of eligibility.

Still, Andersson saw a couple of traits that made Victor Olofsson intriguing. He went to assistant general manager Kevin Devine and head amateur scout Dave Torrie for a last-minute chat.

“I spoke with Kevin and Dave about Victor just the night before the draft started that maybe we should put him in there and have him as a seventh-round pick,” Andersson said this week.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/1305190/2019/10/19/inside-the-drafting-of-victor-olofsson-how-the-sabres-snagged-a-seventh-round-steal/%3famp

4 minutes ago, Radar said:

Give me evidence he was a good gm. Our opinions aren't evidence o ly opinions. My opinion? He was bad!

He wasted a 1st in one of the deepest drafts still can't believe he did that 

And wasted a second rounder on a player That did horrible on his interview on purpose so he wouldn't be drafted by Buffalo

Genius

19 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

He wasted a 1st in one of the deepest drafts still can't believe he did that 

And wasted a second rounder on a player That did horrible on his interview on purpose so he wouldn't be drafted by Buffalo

Genius

Give me a GM resume that didn’t make a mistake. I swear this fan base has no clue what progress looks like.

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

What is your plan?  After 10 years of bending the fans over, you want to sell them on Granato, Mitts, Tage, Asplund and Bryson?

...or has Kym been letting you in on her “we know more than you” insights?

Well let's look at what was "sold" to the fans.  

Stanley cup winning coach from a top organization: Dan Bylsma

Legendary player from the Sabres past: Phil Housley

Was ready to pay $5MM/yr for a coaching legend: Mike Babcock

Did anyone complain those were cheap-out bad hires? How did they work out? So the Sabres seem to have already gone that route and failed miserably. So now we have a coach that was already in the system who suddenly gets players no other coach could do crap with to play like their draft position. Oh but "he's a nobody. None of this is real. It doesn't mean anything." yadda yadda yadda.

The most Buffalo thing would be for us to get rid of Mitts, Tage, Asplund and Bryson, players you have such contempt for, and watch them succeed elsewhere. All because we have to hire a "big name coach who knows how to win." Who oddly enough find themselves unemployed at the moment. One guy even goes on Canadian media to trash talk the team while letting everyone know he'd like to coach here.

27 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Aka the only coach to get us to 80+ points in ten years 

Ooooh! Hang a banner!

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ooooh! Hang a banner!

He’s the only “experienced” coach the Sabres have hired during the drought and the only one to get us to 80 points. Everyone here thought he was incredibly flawed, and everyone here will tell you the roster was incredibly flawed. But maybe that tells you something that an experienced coach can get you more points  than some who relatively lacks experience. If there is a decision to hire say Gallant or Granato, hiring Granato is likely going to be the wrong choice. 

3 minutes ago, #freejame said:

He’s the only “experienced” coach the Sabres have hired during the drought and the only one to get us to 80 points. Everyone here thought he was incredibly flawed, and everyone here will tell you the roster was incredibly flawed. But maybe that tells you something that an experienced coach can get you more points  than some who relatively lacks experience. If there is a decision to hire say Gallant or Granato, hiring Granato is likely going to be the wrong choice. 

Gallant is going to have to want to coach here. I believe we went after him once before and failed. There's also Julien. Brinda'mour ain't coming. Stay far away from Bourdreau or Torts. At least making a "mistake" with Granato isn't going to set you back like making a mistake with a Babcock.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Gallant is going to have to want to coach here. I believe we went after him once before and failed. There's also Julien. Brinda'mour ain't coming. Stay far away from Bourdreau or Torts. At least making a "mistake" with Granato isn't going to set you back like making a mistake with a Babcock.

I have nothing to add or say other than I agree with all of this. 

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Was ready to pay $5MM/yr for a coaching legend: Mike Babcock

You can't use this for any meaningful argument since he didn't coach for us. He's a good coach and I'd hire him now. He was fine in Toronto until the softies there cried about his bullying. But even if you don't like him, he's irrelevant to the argument as he was never here.

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

You can't use this for any meaningful argument since he didn't coach for us. He's a good coach and I'd hire him now. He was fine in Toronto until the softies there cried about his bullying. But even if you don't like him, he's irrelevant to the argument as he was never here.

The point is the Pegulas were ready to pay him $5MM/yr if he came to Buffalo. Only Toronto and Mrs. Babcock changed that. 

This runs counter to the cries of "cheap" for considering Don Granato. If Babcock, Gallant, Boudreau etc were brought in and had the run Granato had with the Sabres, people and pundits would not be able to contain their effusive praise. But because Granato isn't a name and came from within the organization, everything he's done is considered a mirage.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.