Don Granato as a HC

JoeSchmoe

45 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm getting sick and tired of all the press saying there's a huge turnaround and so many people thinking we're better. A little perspective. 

In the last 10 we are 3-7. So if you take Kreuger away and take that pace back to 50 games we're 15 wins instead of 13. Still dead last in the entire league. 

There is no marvelous turnaround. The kids might provide a little more energy and speed and it might look a little more like real hockey and provide a little more offensive excitement but we still suck bad. Really really bad. 

Staying the course is folly. 

They don't want Buffalo to have anything nice 

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The difference in the situations of the respective coaches should be apparent.

I thought we were talking about the players.

I think Dahlin and Mittelstadt look unmistakenly better under Granato.

I read your initial response as "they do, but that doesn't matter because other teams are being easier on them."

I believe it comes down to what Adams plan for the team is, a resetting of the core with picks and prospects being brought in, leads us to The Interm Label being removed. If they are going to go for it with this group, Gallant or Boudreau will be brought in most likely. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I believe it comes down to what Adams plan for the team is, a resetting of the core with picks and prospects being brought in, leads us to The Interm Label being removed. If they are going to go for it with this group, Gallant or Boudreau will be brought in most likely. 

I’m confused on which interim label you’re talking about here because Adams doesn’t have one (which is insane).

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Granato’s 

Gotchu I was confused by the flow going into that sentence after.

I think this one is as simple as we all think it is: Boudreau or Gallant. I’d swing for the fences and call Brind’Amour if he doesn’t get extended first but that won’t happen.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I have trouble seeing Gallant and Boudreau in the same sentence. They are not equals.

Einsteins definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Going into next season with 11 of the 12 current forwards, all 6 D and Don Granato coaching and expecting to make the playoffs is insanity.

I hope Adams and the Sabres aren't insane. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Norcal said:

Einsteins definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Going into next season with 11 of the 12 current forwards, all 6 D and Don Granato coaching and expecting to make the playoffs is insanity.

I hope Adams and the Sabres aren't insane. 

They had 6 new forwards to start this season.   How'd that turn out?

2 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

"Staying the course", in my case, involves adding 2-3 defencemen to mentor the youth, swapping out 2-3 forwards to get some variety of styles in the forward ranks, and 2 reliable goaltenders, whether Ullmark is one or not.  I personally would pick another coach.  I expect Eichel's presence to be a huge bonus.  That is 4-8 players I want to change before next season.  But I don't want a complete teardown.

That's not really staying the course. You're sort of half way between full staying the course and a teardown. You want to add those pieces you have to subtract something just for salary cap reasons if none other. and a new coach is not staying the course either.  To me, a complete teardown means trading Eichel, Reinhart and Risto and that's all. If there was a Skinner solution I'd add that, but there isn't. 

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Well, except for 1 game where Bah-stan scored on their 1st shot against a rookie playing his 1st game and B's then decided it would be a walk.  Baah-stan's goalie had his worse game of the year & the B's didn't get out of their funk until the final 10 minutes.  Fortunately, they didn't get out of the funk until it was too late.

Alright, I've had enough! Is "Baw" NOT "Bah" and it's "stin" not ***** "stan"

There, I feel better.

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

What do you think? Were they the right players in your opinion?

I liked the Rieder and Eakin signings, thought Eakin would be a more offensively skilled Larsson.   

Was never a fan of the Hall deal, had low expectations just based on the guys history of bouncing around the league, but liked them going after him and with Eichel thought they might click.

Hated the Staal deal, thought M. Johansson was the better player at this stage if their careers.   

That said, I've been saying for a while now their only way out of this is to draft well, develop well, hire the right coach, shore up the goaltending.... and exercise patience.

But all that starts at the top with the right folks calling the shots and providing oversight.  Is Karmanos the right guy? Who knows, but  until that happens I largely expect the shitshow to continue.

Edited by pi2000

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I liked the Rieder and Eakin signings, thought Eakin would be a more offensively skilled Larsson.   

Was never a fan of the Hall deal, had low expectations just based on the guys history of bouncing around the league, but liked them going after him and with Eichel thought they might click.

Hated the Staal deal, thought M. Johansson was the better player at this stage if their careers.   

That said, I've been saying for a while now their only way out of this is to draft well, develop well, hire the right coach, shore up the goaltending.... and exercise patience.

Darcy got run out of town a long time ago for doing exactly that. 

I agree with you that that is the way to build a successful franchise long term and while I think there is a nice base of talent to work with I think their is a distinct lack of jam in alot of their games. 

IMO they need atleast one FA and or a trade acquisition to add because the types of players they need are not in the system right now. 

Last years guys, not it. 

26 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's not really staying the course. You're sort of half way between full staying the course and a teardown. You want to add those pieces you have to subtract something just for salary cap reasons if none other. and a new coach is not staying the course either.  To me, a complete teardown means trading Eichel, Reinhart and Risto and that's all. If there was a Skinner solution I'd add that, but there isn't. 

I kept most of the core intact and didn't upend the management.  I also would be understanding if not thrilled at keeping IHCDG.  That's "stay the course" as I see it if your philosophy matches mine, "if you are standing still, then you are falling behind."  JMO.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I thought we were talking about the players.

I think Dahlin and Mittelstadt look unmistakenly better under Granato.

I read your initial response as "they do, but that doesn't matter because other teams are being easier on them."

I think they both look better used.  Mitts has shown development, sure.  But they are better deployed, really.  That's the real difference.  Dahlin still has the yips in the worst way.  He's covering up for them with points.  He's not better.  He's better deployed to get the points.

21 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think they both look better used.  Mitts has shown development, sure.  But they are better deployed, really.  That's the real difference.  Dahlin still has the yips in the worst way.  He's covering up for them with points.  He's not better.  He's better deployed to get the points.

Moot. Either way, they are more effective and it can be tied to coaching.

Not sure I agree with the Dahlin take either. All players make mistakes. All players (except maybe Cody Eakin) make plays.

Dahlin is making far more plays, but he is also making fewer mistakes.

Edited by dudacek

14 minutes ago, Weave said:

But yet, if he were paired with a now available Borgen, he might even get rid of the last of his yips, rather than teaming him up with a guy who IMHO has them worse than Dahlin has them, that's a pairing that would be interesting.

And FTR, since Krueger departed, IMHO he hasn't had the yips nearly as bad, at least moving up ice.  He still gets them some coming back to his own end.

Would agree that deployment is the primary difference in perceptions of Mittelstadt's play since Krueger left.  But Ras is flat out making moves offensively that he was totally getting pickpocketed on earlier in the year.  He is the 1 guy who absolutely has been better all around since the coaching change.  (Okposo too, but that's done this season.)

• Like (+1) 1

I will say it: this team is demonstrably better under Granato than it was under Krueger.  This team comes back to win every now and then.  I like watching games so much more.  Yes, Houser bailed them out somewhat tonight, but they did not quit either.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm getting sick and tired of all the press saying there's a huge turnaround and so many people thinking we're better. A little perspective. 

In the last 10 we are 3-7. So if you take Kreuger away and take that pace back to 50 games we're 15 wins instead of 13. Still dead last in the entire league. 

There is no marvelous turnaround. The kids might provide a little more energy and speed and it might look a little more like real hockey and provide a little more offensive excitement but we still suck bad. Really really bad. 

Staying the course is folly. 

Ralphs team had Jack, Hall, Staal, McCabe, Lazar, and two “starting” goalies. 

Donnie G has R2, Asplund, Samson at C, Mattias, Bjork, Drake, and a rotation of nobody goalies in Houser, Tokarski, and 6K.

Anyone who WATCHES hockey has seen a watchable team under Donnie G, and was near Suicide watching whatever the fudge Ralph was trying to do. This doesn’t mean even take into account how much better players like Mitts, Dahlin, Tage, and Joki have been for Donnie Donuts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Ralphs team had Jack, Hall, Staal, McCabe, Lazar, and two “starting” goalies. 

Donnie G has R2, Asplund, Samson at C, Mattias, Bjork, Drake, and a rotation of nobody goalies in Houser, Tokarski, and 6K.

Anyone who WATCHES hockey has seen a watchable team under Donnie G, and was near Suicide watching whatever the fudge Ralph was trying to do. This doesn’t mean even take into account how much better players like Mitts, Dahlin, Tage, and Joki have been for Donnie Donuts. 

So this means you want him as HC next year? 

Say Gallant or Granato you choose Granato? 

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

So this means you want him as HC next year? 

Say Gallant or Granato you choose Granato? 

I'd take Gallant. I'd take Julien. But those guys would have to want to come here. I've never heard a word to that effect.  I'd keep Granato over Torts or Boudreau . I'd probably take Granato over whatever college guy they're talking about too.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.