Don Granato as a HC

JoeSchmoe

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So why Boudreau?

Because the guy coached multiple teams for years and almost never missed the playoffs, something this fetid tub of dogshit organization hasn't even done once in a decade. He's as close to a Barry Trotz (remember how he got tagged as a "playoff loser" for years until he wasn't?) as we are going to get.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

Because the guy coached multiple teams for years and almost never missed the playoffs, something this fetid tub of dogshit organization hasn't even done once in a decade. He's as close to a Barry Trotz (remember how he got tagged as a "playoff loser" for years until he wasn't?) as we are going to get.

I love the bolded.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

Loved the Boudreau idea pretty much from the start. I'd do it for sure.

Post Eichel/Reinhart-bomb though, passing on to the next gen does make Granato slightly more tempting...

4 hours ago, WildCard said:

I'm not sure what your issue with Boudreau is. How is he not a proven, good coach?

Because he's much like Tortorella. Comes in like a tornado, works until players tune him out. If all you want is a bump, sure Boudreau will get that for you. But his track record shows he's a short-termer. You'll be looking for his replacement in 2023.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

Because he's much like Tortorella. Comes in like a tornado, works until players tune him out. If all you want is a bump, sure Boudreau will get that for you. But his track record shows he's a short-termer. You'll be looking for his replacement in 2023.

I'm ok with a two-year contract for either of them for exactly this reason.

I'm also ok if they stick with Granato, as I wrote a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not ok with Leaman.

On 5/11/2021 at 3:09 AM, sabremike said:

The filter on this site really missed on this one. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I never get too passionate about coaching choices.

I appreciate the value of experience, but I also know inexperienced John Cooper, Craig Berube, and Mike Sullivan turned out to be more successful than recycled Dan Bylsma, Randy Carlyle, Alain Vigneault and Claude Julien. I think I lean toward finding the Cooper.

There are some coaches who have been around long enough that I’ve seen enough to say a firm “no” to and more that I’ll say maybe.

But there’s too much we don’t see in terms of techniques and relationships, and I think 75% of the time a successful coach is as much about being the right man at the right time in the right place as it is about ability.

All I can really do is listen to a coach speak, and watch how he goes about his business and decide whether I like that man and if I would be willing to follow him.

I’ve decided Donnie Granato Is someone I can root for.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I appreciate the value of experience, but I also know inexperienced John Cooper, Craig Berube, and Mike Sullivan turned out to be more successful than recycled Dan Bylsma, Randy Carlyle, Alain Vigneault and Claude Julien. I think I lean toward finding the Cooper.

There are some coaches who have been around long enough that I’ve seen enough to say a firm “no” to and more that I’ll say maybe.

But there’s too much we don’t see in terms of techniques and relationships, and I think 75% of the time a successful coach is as much about being the right man at the right time in the right place as it is about ability.

All I can really do is listen to a coach speak, and watch how he goes about his business and decide whether I like that man and if I would be willing to follow him.

Do you want to go to your first dance with someone who also hasn’t been to one and share that experience?

Or, do you want to bring someone who has been to 5 dances already with 3 other people, just because they’ve been to some and you haven’t?

(I agree with the bolded).

Edited by Andrew Amerk

12 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Do you want to go to your first dance with someone who also hasn’t been to one and share that experience?

Or, do you want to bring someone who has been to 5 dances already with 3 other people, just because they’ve been to some and you haven’t?

I think this is definitely something they look for, not least because those types of candidates are less likely to question their chosen strategy in building the team. If I had to say what they are looking for most in a coach, it's one who agrees with their Vision. 

I think KA might be open to a veteran coach, if that coach agrees with a slower build. But those are probably harder to find. I'm sure they'll ask the vets, but they are looking for an answer. 

I am slowly coming round to Granato. I think his professionalism has been impeccable,  and the fact that he sat the cr@p vets to let the young guys get a look in for next year shows he actually gives a damn about this team.  If we are to lose Jack for young players then he's in a great position to bring them on together.  Not like the old school guys (Torts) who I think will suck the life of the youth.

• Like (+1) 2

My odds are on Granato.  As other teams fill their HC roles, the likes of Gallant, Boudreau, maybe Torts, etc. will get scooped up by other teams that are more attractive to these experienced HC's.  Some may have ego's that think they're good enough to lead Buffalo out of the ashes, but I still don't think they're coming.  It will be Granato by default....plus his price tag will be cheaper.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, dudacek said:

The door is open and I am driving the Granato bus. Welcome aboard and have a seat. Remember, passengers are not allowed to eat, smoke or play music without earpieces while on board. On this bus noted for courtesy youngsters are expected to get up and offer their seat when oldsters are standing.   

The attributes you want with a coaching hire already have been displayed. He is good working with young players, he holds everyone accountable and coaches a style that is most suitable to the talent on hand and is entertaining to watch. He has shown an ability to alter the roles of his players when needed.

If you can retrieve his exit interview with the media it is obvious that he has the pulse of this team and is prepared to assume a permanent HC job. When the horse is already in the barn it is not necessary to look in the pasture for the horse you want to saddle up. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

That's not the analogy.   It's, if you don't know how to dance would you rather go to the dance with someone that knows how to or with someone who doesn't and hope you figure it out?

The point isn't to experience the dance together,  it's to learn how to dance. 

Edited by 7+6=13
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

That's not the analogy.   It's, if you don't know how to dance would you rather go to the dance with someone that knows how to or with someone who doesn't and hope you figure it out?

The point isn't to experience the dance together,  it's to learn how to dance. 

Be grateful that I didn’t publish my original analogy, which would have made even our raunchiest posters blush. 

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

The takeaway is that the Granato coaching method is the opposite of the Krueger method. Granato was invested in his players while Krueger was invested in his system. If Granato would have coached this team right from the start it would have been a middle of the pack team instead of a bottom-feeding team. And as the article describes Granato's practices were more rigorous, purposeful and relevant to the games in contrast to Krueger's approach.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.