Don Granato as a HC

JoeSchmoe

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

And if the Sabres decide to trade Eichel in advance and end up making a good trade, you'd be opposed?

Did you see his last comment. Trade for the best offer? We did that remember? The ROR trade! No thanks.

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yes, if you stand pat. The young guys can be molded by anyone I think but if this remains Eichel's team it all depends on what he wants. 

I agree with this much less than I would have a few months ago. I'm really encouraged by what the kids have done the last few weeks. I'm not sure if Granato is the answer at coach, but lm not opposed to finding out. If Jack isn't on board with the direction the team is going I say quietly move him in the off season, I'm okay seeing how the team develops with a center spine of Sam/Mitts/Cousins/Beniers. Add in whatever pieces we get for Jack and it might be okay. 

I think I've pretty much become a supporter of retaining Granato. One, think he good for young players and we're a young team. Two, he hasn't given me reason not to want him and the devil you know is better than the one you don't. Finally I don't see high risk especially if it's a shorter term show us a full season type contract. Wonder if he'd except one year deal or two.

Edited by Radar
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

What about Girardi and Ellis? How much of the improved play is attributed to them? Will they return to the bench with him? Should they be replaced if Granato returns as HC? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

I think I've pretty much become a supporter of retaining Granato. One, think he good for young players and we're a young team. Two, he hasn't given me reason not to want him and the devil you know is better than the one you don't. Finally I don't see high risk especially if it's a shorter term show us a full season type contract. Wonder if he'd except one year deal or two.

There's absolutely risk if we think our performance next season matters re: keeping Jack

And the fan base

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Thorny said:

There's absolutely risk if we think our performance next season matters re: keeping Jack

And the fan base

Agree. But I think Granato has done as well as I could expect to this point. If what you mean by Jack and fanbase means just hiring a "name" to keep the fanbase think Rex Ryan. How did that turn out. Bottom line Iine I think Granato has earned high consideration. If Gallant or someone such as him is hired okay but performance gets back to players also. No coach wins without that base.

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

Agree. But I think Granato has done as well as I could expect to this point. If what you mean by Jack and fanbase means just hiring a "name" to keep the fanbase think Rex Ryan. How did that turn out. Bottom line Iine I think Granato has earned high consideration. If Gallant or someone such as him is hired okay but performance gets back to players also. No coach wins without that base.

No no, I meant that our performance next year could significantly matter in both areas, not that a name hire would fix it on it's face

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

No no, I meant that our performance next year could significantly matter in both areas, not that a name hire would fix it on it's face

That risk is there in any case. Unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

That risk is there in any case. Unfortunately.

Right, it's just you said you didn't think it was high risk if it was shorter term, and considering the importance of the season, I don't believe that to be a fair classification 

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Right, it's just you said you didn't think it was high risk if it was shorter term, and considering the importance of the season, I don't believe that to be a fair classification 

Okay. High risk whoever we hire I suppose. We know Granato and at least seen him over twenty something games with depleted lineup.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Radar said:

Okay. High risk whoever we hire I suppose. We know Granato and at least seen him over twenty something games with depleted lineup.

I guess what we have to determine is whether we put more emphasis on what Granato has done in 20 something games or what Gallant or Boudreau has done in a multitude of seasons, among other factors 

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I guess what we have to determine is whether we put more emphasis on what Granato has done in 20 something games or what Gallant or Boudreau has done in a multitude of seasons, among other factors 

And, I would guess, several million dollars in contract. Which, I know, we fans don't want to hear but we're still paying RK.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Radar said:

And, I would guess, several million dollars in contract. Which, I know, we fans don't want to hear but we're still paying RK.

IF the Sabres F up the next coaching choice, it'll be a lot more costly to the Pegulas than what Krueger will cost them out of pocket moving forward.  They have to get this right.  And cash flow shouldn't be an issue this season.  Not w/ the new TV deals for both their major teams leagues & fuel prices rebounding.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Taro T said:

IF the Sabres F up the next coaching choice, it'll be a lot more costly to the Pegulas than what Krueger will cost them out of pocket moving forward.  They have to get this right.  And cash flow shouldn't be an issue this season.  Not w/ the new TV deals for both their major teams leagues & fuel prices rebounding.

From where I and you sit true. But where the organization sits. Well not sure. I do wish covid wasn't keeping arenas empty and ownership could have seen the effect on attendance. As it is they took a loss but didn't see it visually by empty seats. Plus this fan base seems to be very forgiving. Not sure our small sample size on this forum is mirror image of overall fan base.

17 minutes ago, Radar said:

From where I and you sit true. But where the organization sits. Well not sure. I do wish covid wasn't keeping arenas empty and ownership could have seen the effect on attendance. As it is they took a loss but didn't see it visually by empty seats. Plus this fan base seems to be very forgiving. Not sure our small sample size on this forum is mirror image of overall fan base.

The Bruins game that was delayed, they offered tickets for sale in a ham handed way and had under 400 (out of over 1,900 available) sold.

The rest of the FOUR games they offered for sale still only sold a couple hundred more than that.  And a lot of the Pens & B's game sales were to non-Sabres fans.  They saw that they couldn't even sell 1,000 seats on a weekend day against opponents that historically have had good demand for the tix.  When there hadn't been ANY tix sold for a full year, no less.

The virus & hoops to jump through accounted for a fair portion of that, but not all of it.  A lack of interest brought on by another failing year following the previous 9 was a bigger factor IMHO.

Stinking again for an 11th consecutive season could finally be that proverbial  stick that will break the fans interest's back.  And once that's broken, it's going to take a heck of a lot more to get it back. 

Not saying Granato won't be the right coach, but the odds are long against it.

And we were one Tokarski family emergency away from ending the year on a 1-10 or 2-9 run because the Houser magical 7+ periods of hockey never happen.  (And again, hoping all is well with his family.  Not making light of their travails.)  Nearly this entire board was off the Granato bandwagon.

• Like (+1) 2

I suspect the players may have a say in what happens.  Guys who came in from the outside this season may have important input.  And some former Sabres will tell GMKA what they are hearing around the league.

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The guy that squeezed 78 points out of a tank squad sans Jack Eichel for 3 months?  

Sign me up

I’m very confident GMTM was let go too early. I can’t get there with Bylsma but I could see the argument.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.