Don Granato as a HC

JoeSchmoe

44 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

If what we are seeing is not just the usual jolt from a new coach but some actual adjustments, then that is a point in Don Granato's favour.

I'm not sure.  It could also be the coaching equivalent of "chasing the puck in your own zone."  I'd prefer to see him get ahead of that metaphorical puck.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, jsb said:

Well Boudreau just said on an interview on NHL Network that the Sabres late run is fools gold, so I'm guessing he's out of the running. Praised Ottawa for playing hard all year. Not that I agree with his assessment but that quote can't go over well in the Sabres FO.

14 hours ago, jsb said:

I feel like the messenger that just got fired upon 😇. My opinion would be if he did say that to the Sabres hierarchy that still wouldn't go over well with them if he then said it on TV. 

Interesting, and I think you're right.

15 hours ago, jsb said:

Well Boudreau just said on an interview on NHL Network that the Sabres late run is fools gold, so I'm guessing he's out of the running. Praised Ottawa for playing hard all year. Not that I agree with his assessment but that quote can't go over well in the Sabres FO.

Sounds like a guy who's bitter for not getting the job. A job he was campaigning for not long ago.

• Like (+1) 1

Not what I like to hear from him. Quite frankly not sure it doesn't lower my desire for him to be considered for the job here. I understand it's a media show nd people stir things but still. Of course it may mean he doesn't think he's in consideration here or isn't interested.

30 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The "curse" part?  Yes.  It doesn't mean Granato is the best coach, but he's not part of what the Sabres are trying to get rid of.

He has been here 2 seasons, cherrypicked to assist Ralph Kreuger, the worst coach in the history. He is not what this org need. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/19/2021 at 1:17 PM, Buffalonill said:

Buffalo really needs to do some  Research this time before making a decision.

I liked the way the team has played but they're so free and  Reckless because they have nothing to lose what about next year when they actually have to be serious they're not going to play this way 

If they do hire him but Logically it's not going to be the same game plan 

Good thing it happened now and not next year 

The team defense is not progressing under Granato. Gallant would be a better coach imo and I think Boudreau's comment is correct. The foundation Ottawa is building on is far more durable. They are going to be a tough team to play against next season and as the skill gets added to that, they will be better than us. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Ill be very impressed with the Granato if we can see a bounce back game next time out

looked like more than a few Sabres were thinking about their off season plans today.  

If the goalies are the Tokarski we've seen his last 4 or so outings & Houser, if he can get a single win in the last 4, he'll have done a good job there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

The team defense is not progressing under Granato. Gallant would be a better coach imo and I think Boudreau's comment is correct. The foundation Ottawa is building on is far more durable. They are going to be a tough team to play against next season and as the skill gets added to that, they will be better than us. 

Agree that Gallant would be a better choice than Granato.

But, the D zone coverage is what it is.  They're playing 3 rookies on D and have made Dahlin-Jokiharju a go to pairing.  Those 2 work extremely well together up ice & heading up ice.  In their own zone & in transition back, not so much.  Ristolainen is the only other guy back there & we all know his issues.

The C's are a guy that earned a trip back to Ra-cha-cha last season, a rookie, a guy who has probably 20 games at the slot under his belt prior to this current stint & a true 4th liner.

Experience definitely helps in their own end & at least they're getting some now.  They had almost none (at least none good) prior to the past 10-15 games.

Not having Ullmark also makes it look worse than it is.  Luukkonnen settles down after that 1st shot goal, but that's a tough hole to be in every game.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/28/2021 at 9:54 AM, Gatorman0519 said:

Gallant is best coach available. Look what Q did for Florida already. 

If he considers coming here then the Pegulas should be "all in'. I fear the Granato magic is done. Today's effort against the B's was certainly "Krueger-like".

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I am betting Ottawa surpasses the Sabres easily in the upcoming season and the next few after that. Effort is never an issue with that club. DJ Smith is a good coach and their talent is progressing. They play a good brand of hockey and it's entertaining.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Agree that Gallant would be a better choice than Granato.

But, the D zone coverage is what it is.  They're playing 3 rookies on D and have made Dahlin-Jokiharju a go to pairing.  Those 2 work extremely well together up ice & heading up ice.  In their own zone & in transition back, not so much.  Ristolainen is the only other guy back there & we all know his issues.

I'm actually not talking about the defensemen, but rather team defense. I think Girardi has done a much better job with the young D than Smith ever did. If we brought in new coaches I'd actually consider retaining him. 

I'm looking at the horrendous defensive job our forwards do as something that's not really improving. Zone entry for the Bruins was so incredibly easy. Our forwards coming back often do nothing, except sometimes coast back to the bench (which even that they do poorly). We will never be any good without improving team D. I have to think that was Kreuger's thought/plan, he just couldn't implement it properly and then the offense struggled as a result etc vicious circle. I suppose the question is can these players be taught proper team D ? Because sometimes I think most of them can't seem to do both, play offense AND defense. 

This is why I like the idea of Gallant. He had both his teams playing great D when they had limited offense at their disposal. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, eman said:

I am betting Ottawa surpasses the Sabres easily in the upcoming season and the next few after that. Effort is never an issue with that club. DJ Smith is a good coach and their talent is progressing. They play a good brand of hockey and it's entertaining.

Exactly. Because they tore it all down and got rid of all the slackers and prima donnas. Started a rebuild with attitude and effort as the core principle.  We should follow that path. and you can't do it building around the old core. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm actually not talking about the defensemen, but rather team defense. I think Girardi has done a much better job with the young D than Smith ever did. If we brought in new coaches I'd actually consider retaining him. 

I'm looking at the horrendous defensive job our forwards do as something that's not really improving. Zone entry for the Bruins was so incredibly easy. Our forwards coming back often do nothing, except sometimes coast back to the bench (which even that they do poorly). We will never be any good without improving team D. I have to think that was Kreuger's thought/plan, he just couldn't implement it properly and then the offense struggled as a result etc vicious circle. I suppose the question is can these players be taught proper team D ? Because sometimes I think most of them can't seem to do both, play offense AND defense. 

This is why I like the idea of Gallant. He had both his teams playing great D when they had limited offense at their disposal. 

Yes, we all realize you were talking about team defense and not JUST the D-men which is why the VERY NEXT PARAGRAPH which you chose not to quote was talking about the team's centers.  You know, the forwards that have the greatest responsibility towards the team defense out of the forwards.

Goaltending is also a key component to team defense.  It also was addressed in the post you selectively quoted.

Why so disingenuous in your response?

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yes, we all realize you were talking about team defense and not JUST the D-men which is why the VERY NEXT PARAGRAPH which you chose not to quote was talking about the team's centers.  You know, the forwards that have the greatest responsibility towards the team defense out of the forwards.

Goaltending is also a key component to team defense.  It also was addressed in the post you selectively quoted.

Why so disingenuous in your response?

I don't think I was, but it's about all the players not just the centers.

I'm just fed up with this dumbass hockey team and I am 90% sure they think they are on to something and it's an illusion and unless they tear it down we're going to be stuck with this crap for next year and after. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.