Don Granato as a HC

JoeSchmoe

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Kind of like Dan Bylsma. Cup winner, 6 playoff appearances, 9 playoff series wins. A real no-brainer.

Would you want the doctor on her first surgery?  Experience and a track record aren't worthless.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Well Boudreau just said on an interview on NHL Network that the Sabres late run is fools gold, so I'm guessing he's out of the running. Praised Ottawa for playing hard all year. Not that I agree with his assessment but that quote can't go over well in the Sabres FO.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jsb said:

Well Boudreau just said on an interview on NHL Network that the Sabres late run is fools gold, so I'm guessing he's out of the running. Praised Ottawa for playing hard all year. Not that I agree with his assessment but that quote can't go over well in the Sabres FO.

Has he been watching the games or only the highlights? There’s a difference. 

10 minutes ago, jsb said:

Or he could be saying they aren't this good and need more help (i.e. himself)

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, jsb said:

He's not exactly wrong. We've played 10 good games before, under Krueger so I think we should temper our expectations. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, jsb said:

For all we know, he's already told the Sabres that himself and presented his solution.

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Or he could be saying they aren't this good and need more help (i.e. himself)

EDIT: Or this.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, jsb said:

I feel like the messenger that just got fired upon 😇. My opinion would be if he did say that to the Sabres hierarchy that still wouldn't go over well with them if he then said it on TV. 

Correct, if he meant it to be constructive, you don’t go and say it on National TV. That’s unprofessional. Cross him off the list. 

28 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He's not exactly wrong. We've played 10 good games before, under Krueger so I think we should temper our expectations. 

Regardless of the record the caliber of play has gone up after the coaching change. And it should be factored in that the upgrade in play was done with limited practice time. Nearly every player is performing better after the staffing change. And this upgrade is being done while in the midst of a youth movement. 

As the season advanced under Krueger I no longer had any expectation for this boring team. I also with a great deal of relief tuned out. Now my expectations have been elevated and the games are more enjoyable to watch without even considering what the outcome is.   

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Correct, if he meant it to be constructive, you don’t go and say it on National TV. That’s unprofessional. Cross him off the list. 

Heh.  If he can make the team win, that's not anything I would worry about.

27 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Regardless of the record the caliber of play has gone up after the coaching change. And it should be factored in that the upgrade in play was done with limited practice time. Nearly every player is performing better after the staffing change. And this upgrade is being done while in the midst of a youth movement. 

As the season advanced under Krueger I no longer had any expectation for this boring team. I also with a great deal of relief tuned out. Now my expectations have been elevated and the games are more enjoyable to watch without even considering what the outcome is.   

The Sabres had a 10 game win streak with Krueger as coach. It happened early in his time is coach. I'm simply saying while I'm enjoying the change, I'm always going to be skeptical of it's sustainability. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The Sabres had a 10 game win streak with Krueger as coach. It happened early in his time is coach. I'm simply saying while I'm enjoying the change, I'm always going to be skeptical of it's sustainability. 

9-2-2 to start 2019-20.  The 10 game win streak in 2018-9 was under Housley.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Agree. Teams also many times have an immediate positive response to new coaches regardless of who they are. 

3 hours ago, Radar said:

Agree. Teams also many times have an immediate positive response to new coaches regardless of who they are. 

Part of that is other teams solving what you're doing. New coach has a new game plan. It works until another team figures out how to neutralize it.  It's the same in the NFL. That's why I'm watching this Granato team so closely. Waiting for what he's doing to stop working. Thought that was the case against Pittsburgh, the Rangers and Boston. But then they come right back and win. Is that adjustment we're seeing?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Part of that is other teams solving what you're doing. New coach has a new game plan. It works until another team figures out how to neutralize it.  It's the same in the NFL. That's why I'm watching this Granato team so closely. Waiting for what he's doing to stop working. Thought that was the case against Pittsburgh, the Rangers and Boston. But then they come right back and win. Is that adjustment we're seeing?

This is a good point.  Lindy Ruff is considered the best coach on strategic adjustments and tactical changes within a game and from game-to-game in a playoff series.  (As said by none other than Peter Laviolette, Ken Hitchcock and Mike Babcock when discussing coaching for Team Canada.)

If what we are seeing is not just the usual jolt from a new coach but some actual adjustments, then that is a point in Don Granato's favour.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.