Don Granato as a HC

JoeSchmoe

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I'd be fully on board with keeping the interim tag on him for 20-40 games next season, then remove the tag if he's earned it for realz. (Doubt that's a realistic scenario; Don probably wouldn't go for it and he's probably expecting to have other opportunities.

Do you think he'd go for a 1-year deal?  I think if he does, you sign him to that.  If he lays an egg then you just dump him at 40 games or whatever.  The only way I see that happening though is if there is ZERO chemistry with Jack or if there is a continuation next season of this late season surge followed by a deep rut.  But we saw how much leeway RFK got; I would expect DG to get the same, umm, courtesy.

3 hours ago, steveoath said:

11 games left. If the team continues to play like they are, and Donny Boy shows he is capable of making adjustments (like the diff between yesterday and today) then he is a stick-on to be HC next season. 

Side note: if we take enough points off Boston that they miss the playoffs then that clinches it. (But that's just my pathological hated of the b***** showing).

If Donny manages to make the Baaastannn Bruaaaaans miss the playoffs not only should he get hired as the HC but he should also get a nice dinner from Pegula

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Do you think he'd go for a 1-year deal?  I think if he does, you sign him to that.  If he lays an egg then you just dump him at 40 games or whatever.  The only way I see that happening though is if there is ZERO chemistry with Jack or if there is a continuation next season of this late season surge followed by a deep rut.  But we saw how much leeway RFK got; I would expect DG to get the same, umm, courtesy.

The most Buffalo thing would be to insult Granato with that kind of offer and he leaves for another HC job.

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yes he would. 

...and yet the post I responded to suggested leaving the Iterim tag on him into next season.  Now *that* would be an insult.  I think giving him a year and see how it goes would be better security than he's had this season.

5 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

I think Donny will be a head coach in the nhl next year. So if the Sabres want him they need to start negotiating soon or they will be competing for his services

I thought if he's still under contract as an assistant next year (sorry, I don't know his status), he can't walk away to become a HC unless the Sabres give permission to do so. Is that right?

I'd give Granato an 1 year contract barring a complete regression. You pay him a fair wage mind you. With success we'll give him a nice contract extension.

Let him prove this partial season wasn't a fluke and because of its low cost and risk it makes the $$ crowd happy.

You tell him to find an additional assistant coach to finish his bench. (He can also swap other coaches if he wishes)

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

"And certainly we’re going to focus on giving you ways that we can win this hockey game."

+

Beating Pittsburgh today

=

DoGra?

I am tilting. Especially the quote that actually addresses winning freaking hockey games. (That and Jokiharharwood skating balls out on a late icing call yesterday have me feeling things in my loins I haven't felt in eons.) I'd be fully on board with keeping the interim tag on him for 20-40 games next season, then remove the tag if he's earned it for realz. (Doubt that's a realistic scenario; Don probably wouldn't go for it and he's probably expecting to have other opportunities.)

true romance GIF by Morgan Creek

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd give Granato an 1 year contract barring a complete regression. You pay him a fair wage mind you. With success we'll give him a nice contract extension.

Let him prove this partial season wasn't a fluke and because of its low cost and risk it makes the $$ crowd happy.

You tell him to find an additional assistant coach to finish his bench. (He can also swap other coaches if he wishes)

No way.  @PromoTheRobot assures me that Granato will be insulted by such an offer.

Edited by Doohickie

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

See what I mean?

Can someone come up with the sum total that the Pegulas have spent on coaches since 2011, and the sum total of how much they have spent on fired coaches since 2011, so we can finally get rid of this stuff?  They're not exactly shy about spending $ on coaches.

I concur, money is not an issue for the Pegulas.

They did make a huge mistake though. They could have hired me and I would have held social distance zoom practices, where no physical conditioning skating, no real practice. Instead, I would have had 1 on 1's with each player and asked them about their feelings, if they felt confident, and if not, would they like a wet Teddy to cuddle with.

Ralph got paid a boat load to do exactly what I just wrote above. At least I would have kept the money local.

• Haha (+1) 1

People have to remember that Granato isn’t doing this with his “staff” either. Ellis and Girardi are skill development coaches with no experience behind the bench. It is not like Granato picked people he is comfortable with.  It is something that has to be considered. Not saying Ellis and Girardi haven’t been positives but just pointing out he doesn’t have an experienced staff to lean on at the moment.

If the kids finish the season strong then he has to be the favorite.

How many coaches does this team need to go through? You have a guy in place getting them to buy in and playing their best hockey as individuals and as a team I think you stick with it rather then bringing in someone else and hoping he gets the same results from the players.  I have a feeling if Granato is coach then Eakin isn’t here next year which might be worth it by itself😀

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

"And certainly we’re going to focus on giving you ways that we can win this hockey game."

+

Beating Pittsburgh today

=

DoGra?

I am tilting. Especially the quote that actually addresses winning freaking hockey games. (That and Jokiharharwood skating balls out on a late icing call yesterday have me feeling things in my loins I haven't felt in eons.) I'd be fully on board with keeping the interim tag on him for 20-40 games next season, then remove the tag if he's earned it for realz. (Doubt that's a realistic scenario; Don probably wouldn't go for it and he's probably expecting to have other opportunities.)

I'm not sure any coach gets hired these days without a three-year contract.

IMO, you either believe in him, or you don't. If you do, you have to be all in and give him the going rate for a coach of his stature. If you don't, hire a guy you do.

I have come to one conclusion today: if he finishes the season at .500 or better after starting 0/6 with the disaster he inherited, and you don't offer him the job you are probably guilty of overthinking things too much.

• Like (+1) 1

They're still largely a mess in their own end.  If he can clean that up them I'm all for keeping him around.   If not, then you need to bring in somebody who can coach both ends of the ice.    

Believe it or not, there are other coaches who believe in high pace, physically challenging practices who let players play to their strengths AND can coach them up in the d-zone.

6/3/3 in their past 12. GF: 43 GA: 36.  Tied for 5th in the NHL in that span. 4th in GF, 9th GA.

15th on the PP, 21 on the PK, 3rd in 5on5 GF (29), 12th in 5on5 GA (23)

Getting contributions throughout the lineup

http://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?reportType=game&dateFrom=2021-03-28&dateTo=2021-04-18&gameType=2&playerPlayedFor=franchise.19&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,assists&page=0&pageSize=50

Edited by dudacek

Donny Meatballs is making a very strong case for his consideration as the head coach.

If it was on par or below competition the Sabres were beating in this stretch I would agree with those that are skeptical.

But the fact is the Sabres under Granato's leadership are beating teams in all or nearly all facets of the game that are jockeying for playoff seat seeding. And to be frank, they are highly competitive in every game.

Is Granato the guy? What he has done given where the team was and where it is now, he is most certainly a serious consideration. We have the remainder of this season to see if he can maintain a consistent competitive product, imo we'll know much more at the close of the season. 

• Like (+1) 3

Bruce Boudreau was on one of the NHL shows and he said when a coaching change happens it takes 2-3 weeks for the team to acclimatize to a new coach and system.  So looking at it that way, Granato has them playing really well coming out of the tail end of the 18 game losing streak.

overall I think they are much better in their own end. Not fantastic, but much better positionally and night and day breaking out of the zone. As far as defensive play and special teams, again Donny doesn’t have his hand picked staff with him. With his staff in place and an off-season to plan things would look different there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.