Don Granato as a HC

JoeSchmoe

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

***** it, I am on the bandwagon. 

Well, he certainly speaks to this fan. I have always held (in the latter part of my life) that sports are just entertainment. If a championship is your requirement for entertainment, you will have wasted far more of your life than a championship may/will return. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Can Donny adjust and stay ahead of the curve?   I don't know, maybe, maybe not... that's why you have to continue to seriously evaluate your options at the HC position, especially when there are proven veterans available.  

You're right, we're catching teams off guard.  But given that, and acknowledging the small sample size, I think Granato is the best in-game manager since.... I dunno, Lindy?  Case in point, against Washington it seemed the Caps were seizing momentum but the Sabres were able to take it back.  They've had several come-from-behind victories under Granato.  His in-game adjustments seem to be working.  The other thing I like about him is that he stresses the need to continually improve, to not be complacent.  I just think that's the right mindset for coaching a team over a long season. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

The young guns are being allowed to stretch their wings... that's great.     They look excellent, I'm all for whatever he's doing with them, they're 1000% more fun to watch and with above average goaltending they're winning some games.

That's all fantastic.... but let's not kid ourselves.

They're catching teams off-guard right now, but once that wears off, and teams start actually game-planning for their attacking style, they're going to have to adjust... even focus on playing a more defensive game at times depending on the matchup.    Can Donny adjust and stay ahead of the curve?   I don't know, maybe, maybe not... that's why you have to continue to seriously evaluate your options at the HC position, especially when there are proven veterans available.  

This is zactly what we need to weigh the pros against. 

My goodness I have no idea what the answer is

I do think the last few weeks of the season can at least give us a bigger sample of games

Edited by Randall Flagg

I have no opinion on the question that fuels this thread.

But I strongly disagree with the idea Granato should not be head coach because we need an "experienced" head coach, and by experienced, I mean "a coach who has been fired by NHL teams at least twice."

Don Granato has been a head coach for 14 years at the minor league level and an additional 5 years as head coach of the UNDTP. He's also been an NHL assistant coach for 4 years and is an NHL head coach right now.

He is as experienced and his resume is just as impressive as Jon Cooper's, Mike Sullivan's or Bruce Cassidy's when they were hired to their current jobs, and they've all done all right for themselves.

If the "experienced" guy is the be-all and end-all, why the hell has Gerard Gallant been fired before he completed his 3rd season three times?

Just hire the right guy.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SDS said:

If a championship is your requirement for entertainment, you will have wasted far more of your life than a championship may/will return. 

This is the best quote I've read since regularly visiting this site. Thanks for this. It really keeps things in perspective.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

I have no opinion on the question that fuels this thread.

But I strongly disagree with the idea Granato should not be head coach because we need an "experienced" head coach, and by experienced, I mean "a coach who has been fired by NHL teams at least twice."

Don Granato has been a head coach for 14 years at the minor league level and an additional 5 years as head coach of the UNDTP. He's also been an NHL assistant coach for 4 years and is an NHL head coach right now.

He is as experienced and his resume is just as impressive as Jon Cooper's, Mike Sullivan's or Bruce Cassidy's when they were hired to their current jobs, and they've all done all right for themselves.

If the "experienced" guy is the be-all and end-all, why the hell has Gerard Gallant been fired before he completed his 3rd season three times?

Just hire the right guy.

Ok.  I've seen enough of a body of work to opine:

1.  There's nothing wrong with hiring a coach without NHL coaching experience, normally.  Plenty of coaches have success with their first NHL jobs, and plenty don't.

2.  This team, though, is out of chances.  It sort of needs to hire an experienced coach.

3.  On the other hand, Granato is doing a lot with this team.  It's exciting again, and that's without a starting goalie, Eichel, Hall, or McCabe, along with several solid role-players.  

4.  So if the team is going to go the "new guy" route with Granato, and keep him on a tight leash, I guess I'm ok with it.

5.  I don't want the team experimenting with any other "new guy," though, and that includes Leeman/Leaman/Lehman/however he spells it, which I'm not going to learn, because I don't want him here.

6.  So for me, it's either the grizzled vet or Granato.  I don't expect that it will come down to cost, either, although I do expect that if the team hires Granato, certain people here will claim that it had come down to cost.

• Like (+1) 5

11 games left. If the team continues to play like they are, and Donny Boy shows he is capable of making adjustments (like the diff between yesterday and today) then he is a stick-on to be HC next season. 

Side note: if we take enough points off Boston that they miss the playoffs then that clinches it. (But that's just my pathological hated of the b***** showing).

19 minutes ago, steveoath said:

11 games left. If the team continues to play like they are, and Donny Boy shows he is capable of making adjustments (like the diff between yesterday and today) then he is a stick-on to be HC next season. 

Side note: if we take enough points off Boston that they miss the playoffs then that clinches it. (But that's just my pathological hated of the b***** showing).

The B's & the Aisles will be the true tests.

If they can have success against them, Granato will be making a strong case to come back.

• Like (+1) 1

Bruins NEED the wins coming up. It would be great to watch a playoff type series with them through the end of the year. I know the games aren't all together like that but 6 games is alot remaining. It could get interesting if these kids are for real. A split would be good IMO

On 4/16/2021 at 12:23 PM, Doohickie said:

You're right, we're catching teams off guard.  But given that, and acknowledging the small sample size, I think Granato is the best in-game manager since.... I dunno, Lindy?  Case in point, against Washington it seemed the Caps were seizing momentum but the Sabres were able to take it back.  They've had several come-from-behind victories under Granato.  His in-game adjustments seem to be working.  The other thing I like about him is that he stresses the need to continually improve, to not be complacent.  I just think that's the right mindset for coaching a team over a long season. 

Are we really catching teams off guard when you play the same team back to back regularly? We couldn't have caught the Penguins off guard today after just playing them tough yesterday.  We won't be sneaking up on Boston this week after playing them this past week. We play them 5 more times by May 1st. That may give us a good indication if this team can continue to compete as is.

2 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Regardless of whether he deserves it or not, I gotta think the Pegulas will strongly consider him for $ reasons.  He'll be cheaper than a seasoned established HC and since he still has to pay Ralph another year, they'll be happy to justify Donny as the next HC going forward.

I dont know. The Pegulas got a pretty good scolding from the league. I think they'll stay out of things a while. 

11 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Are we really catching teams off guard when you play the same team back to back regularly? We couldn't have caught the Penguins off guard today after just playing them tough yesterday.  We won't be sneaking up on Boston this week after playing them this past week. We play them 5 more times by May 1st. That may give us a good indication if this team can continue to compete as is.

No. The Pens said they saw what happened to the Flyers so they came out ready to play.

They also watched the Sabres almost pull the game out at the end and then mostly outplay them the next game winning easily. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

My bigger point is that Granato is an effective game manager.  He managed to right the ship by the third period Saturday, and the team continued its strong play Sunday. 

I'm looking forward to the games coming up against Boston.  I think they will make or break Granato's bid to get the Interim removed form his title, and I have high hopes for him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

although I do expect that if the team hires Granato, certain people here will claim that it had come down to cost

9 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Regardless of whether he deserves it or not, I gotta think the Pegulas will strongly consider him for $ reasons.  He'll be cheaper than a seasoned established HC and since he still has to pay Ralph another year, they'll be happy to justify Donny as the next HC going forward.

See what I mean?

Can someone come up with the sum total that the Pegulas have spent on coaches since 2011, and the sum total of how much they have spent on fired coaches since 2011, so we can finally get rid of this stuff?  They're not exactly shy about spending $ on coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Saw that coming.......alert Eleven!!!!

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

See what I mean?

Can someone come up with the sum total that the Pegulas have spent on coaches since 2011, and the sum total of how much they have spent on fired coaches since 2011, so we can finally get rid of this stuff?  They're not exactly shy about spending $ on coaches.

Perhaps, but I look at the what they've done in the last year across their entire organization.  Sure, they spent a wad to hire Ralph, but that was in another time.  Look at what they've done in terms of downsizing their organization in terms of scouting, minor hockey coaching, and even GMKA himself as a cheap hire.  IMHO - they have cut costs and put the future success of the organization at risk.  I will concede this week's hire of the associate GM, but I'm not convinced they're not watching their $'s.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/whos-gone-sabres-purge-totals-22/article_f9529eb2-a6a7-5aba-9377-48729563c085.html

Edited by Carmel Corn

"And certainly we’re going to focus on giving you ways that we can win this hockey game."

+

Beating Pittsburgh today

=

DoGra?

I am tilting. Especially the quote that actually addresses winning freaking hockey games. (That and Jokiharharwood skating balls out on a late icing call yesterday have me feeling things in my loins I haven't felt in eons.) I'd be fully on board with keeping the interim tag on him for 20-40 games next season, then remove the tag if he's earned it for realz. (Doubt that's a realistic scenario; Don probably wouldn't go for it and he's probably expecting to have other opportunities.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.