Don Granato as a HC

JoeSchmoe

8 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I mean, if he keeps this team at a Deluca .500 pace for the rest of the year you basically have to give him the job right? I'm not gonna necessarily say it's the best decision, but I'd need to see some compelling arguments against it to be opposed. 

The main argument against it, IMO, is that there is an inherent question mark - this would be another live experiment to see if and how a coach will respond when teams "catch on." Ralph was great for a few months too. And it's dangerous to give this group another "unknown" in that sense versus someone who has done it all. 

But I can't say that feels like something we actually need to worry about with Don

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

Granato will coach in the NHL next year I believe.

In Buffalo or not. 

Becoming more likely with each game.  The kids are really responding to him.   

Love how Granato is doing line video sessions with each line and helping them implement the ideas in game.  Talked about video sessions with the Cozens and how they are improving each game.  How bad was RK.  Geez.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Something about the guy feels natural and right. Worried that ignoring this will incur another round of wrath from the hockey gods.

I'm there.  This is a team where Reinhart, Ristolainen, and Dahlin are the "stars" of the franchise.  They are playing like this right now.  It really just works for me. There's something to what this staff is achieving right now.

54 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I personally hope it’s not Buffalo. I want more out of the next coach. Although I’d love to have him as a assistant coach.

What?  What more?

44 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Becoming more likely with each game.  The kids are really responding to him.   

Love how Granato is doing line video sessions with each line and helping them implement the ideas in game.  Talked about video sessions with the Cozens and how they are improving each game.  How bad was RK.  Geez.

I agree. He's got them engaged in their on ice improvement.

I think he has their buy in and trust right now and the results speak for themselves. 

Not to mention they know he's going to have video proof of their performance waiting for them. 

Something our managing partner consistently repeats: “Don’t tell me what someone can’t do.  I want to know what they’re good at.”

DG seems to be of this mindset.  Show me what a player CAN do, what he’s good at, and I’ll put that player in a position to do it.

Incredibly simple approach that seems uniquely hard for many organizations (not just sports) to implement.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, darksabre said:

I mean, if he keeps this team at a Deluca .500 pace for the rest of the year you basically'have to give him the job right? I'm not gonna necessarily say it's the best decision, but I'd need to see some compelling arguments against it to be opposed. 

I'm tempted to agree. I'm getting there with Granato. Food for thought - Ron Rolston in stint to end the 2013 season that got him brought back - 15-11-5

4-15-1 to start, next season, after that

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I'm tempted to agree. I'm getting there with Granato. Food for thought - Ron Rolston in stint to end the 2013 season that got him brought back - 15-11-5

4-15-1 to start, next season, after that

You have players on the team that have played for both. My guess is that they would provide you valuable feedback in a one on one situation.

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

You have players on the team that have played for both. My guess is that they would provide you valuable feedback in a one on one situation.

Good point, but I'm not sure we can base the decision very much on what just Ristolainen has to say

And he played under Rolston for 20 games as a rookie only actually now that I look at it 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Good point, but I'm not sure we can base the decision very much on what just Ristolainen has to say

And he played under Rolston for 20 games as a rookie only actually now that I look at it 

Without looking I thought Sam Reinhart overlapped. 🤷🏻

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Granato was given a flaming dog pile to babysit till the end of the season and he's turning then into winners. Don't act like this happens every day. 

Do you know how many crummy Sabre teams made heroic runs in March/April only to suck again in October? We're so desperate for success, we want to believe this is different. Maybe it is.

I should let it go. Donny Meatballs (kinda diggin' that; slide into his DMs) is the next coach. The almost dying, the redemption angle, the fine young man, the first-timer who owes them: he's Pegula People to a tee.

5 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'm just glad it's not my job to make the call on this lol

Well said. I just hope the decision is made dispassionately well after the glow of whatever this is wears off. And I hope it's made by hockey people and not The Fracker and Mary Anne.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Do you know how many crummy Sabre teams made heroic runs in March/April only to suck again in October? We're so desperate for success, we want to believe this is different. Maybe it is.

I should let it go. Donny Meatballs (kinda diggin' that; slide into his DMs) is the next coach. The almost dying, the redemption angle, the fine young man, the first-timer who owes them: he's Pegula People to a tee.

Well said. I just hope the decision is made dispassionately well after the glow of whatever this is wears off. And I hope it's made by hockey people and not The Fracker and Mary Anne.

This is the best way to do it. I'm just surprised at the walking through a graveyard at night vibes I get from the idea of moving on to hire someone else 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.