Sabres Trade Brandon Montour to Florida for 3rd Round Pick

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I understand what you're saying but I just can't stand draft picks after the first round as a trade return.  Makes me crazy.  Also, Irwin can be tied to a stone and thrown into Lake Erie.  (Ok, that might be a bit severe.  A bit.)

This time of the season had made me twitchy for 10 seasons now.  For 10 seasons we’ve ended the season with a less good team than we started with, all for some low percentage chances at a player 3-4 years from now.  And all 10 seasons we haven’t been good enough to afford to get worse. I get your complaints.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Weave said:

This time of the season had made me twitchy for 10 seasons now.  For 10 seasons we’ve ended the season with a less good team than we started with, all for some low percentage chances at a player 3-4 years from now.  And all 10 seasons we haven’t been good enough to afford to get worse. I get your complaints.

We've traded a lot of 2 and 3 round picks in the last few years. Can't get those players at all if you don't have draft capital. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

The last third-round Sabres pic that was a "hit," and I am using that loosely, was McNabb, in 2009.  Twelve years ago.  Before him, you have to look at Afinogenov and maybe Sheppard.

Portillo, Laaksonen, and Jonas Johansson are all 3rd rounders. 

I liked Montour's game, sure he makes the occasional gaffe, but he's active in all three zones, skates extremely well, contributes offense, and has no personal baggage.

He's a great fit for FLA and he'll do very well there.   He's a guy I think that under the right coach could take his game to another level, he has the skillset to do so.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Or claim Victor Mete off waivers from Montreal.

AAV 700k RFA, does well in 3rd Pairing Role. 

Would allow Irwin to watch from the press box 

13 hours ago, #freejame said:

There is no reason to not claim him. I’m not holding my breath on it though. 

Claimed by Ottawa.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/senators-claim-victor-mete-off-waivers-canadiens/

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So, the Sabres didn't put in a claim.  Not sure why not.  Seemed a very low/no risk move.

I keep thinking back to it and posting about it - there's literally one of those behind the scenes videos from the Summer where Adams is clearly quite excited at adding Irwin. 

He needs help with player evaluation. Unfortunately their new head of pro scouting was an internal hire

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Thorny said:

At least, he was. He may not get back there even away from Buffalo, his last year before he got here was not good. 

I know stats aren't everything, but in the 33 games he played without Krueger in BUffalo he went 7/12/19/-2 and those numbers weren't easy minutes, or padded by the PP.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

He is a better player than we saw. Of that I have no doubt.

Ralph is a hack.  We’ve seen glimpses of Montour’s actual game the last couple of weeks.  He’s a good offensive defenseman. His defense will always be an issue. 

31 minutes ago, Curt said:

This team desperately needs a good coach.

They may already have one. 

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

Ralph is a hack.  We’ve seen glimpses of Montour’s actual game the last couple of weeks.  He’s a good offensive defenseman. His defense will always be an issue. 

They may already have one. 

Sabres are pretty lucky - the right guy for the job just always seems to be right here all along!

Need a GM? Let me tell you about a guy from we've got on the business side

Need a coach? He was already on the bench!

Head of pro scouting? The guy that was "head of scouting" should do a better job with half the workload, right?

Need a head of amateur scouting? Promote the head of College Scouting, we only need to draft college bound players anyway

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Sabres are pretty lucky - the right guy for the job just always seems to be right here all along!

Need a GM? Let me tell you about a guy from we've got on the business side

Need a coach? He was already on the bench!

Head of pro scouting? The guy that was "head of scouting" should do a better job with half the workload, right?

Need a head of amateur scouting? Promote the head of College Scouting, we only need to draft college bound players anyway

I’m not saying Granato IS the right guy but I’d like to see how the rest of the season goes.  He’s better than the last 3 dopes we’ve endured albeit on a limited sample size. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m not saying Granato IS the right guy but I’d like to see how the rest of the season goes.  He’s better than the last 3 dopes we’ve endured albeit on a limited sample size. 

Not positive he's better than Bylsma.  It is a possibility.  (That's not really saying much.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.