Sabres Trade Brandon Montour to Florida for 3rd Round Pick

Brawndo

Florida's 3rd is like around number 85 to 90 overall...does anybody really think we are capable of drafting someone even remotely useful at that position? Been a lot of trashing the Sabres for their poor drafting even in the 1st and 2nd rounds with our picks which are much higher then this 3rd from Florida. I do think Montour will be fine in a good well-coached structure and situation like Florida has happening. Has Montreal traded Staal yet for a 2nd? That may very well be next.

17 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

Florida's 3rd is like around number 85 to 90 overall...does anybody really think we are capable of drafting someone even remotely useful at that position? Been a lot of trashing the Sabres for their poor drafting even in the 1st and 2nd rounds with our picks which are much higher then this 3rd from Florida. I do think Montour will be fine in a good well-coached structure and situation like Florida has happening. Has Montreal traded Staal yet for a 2nd? That may very well be next.

I'd rather have the dart throws than not.  Wish we could've gotten a 2nd, but it doesn't surprise me that the market for Montour doesn't exist.

20 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

Goalie

I would have took a bag of pucks for Montour.... good riddance... I liked nothing about his game.

That trade is “addition by subtraction” in my book. The fact that he not on the ice makes us better whether or not a future 3rd round pick becomes a player for this team

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

That's hilarious.  If you think he's a "very good" player, you and I aren't going to see eye to eye on much, which actually explains a lot of your posts quite a bit.

So it's a 3rd rounder coming back.  Sounds about right. 

Odds are it amounts to nothing, though it can always be bundled with other currency for something more than the pick would fetch on its own in a draft.

Adios, Montour! 

This isn't a good day. Montour wasn't the problem. We're not better. No problem has been solved. Not yet. Still waiting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Curt said:

Not that his value hasn’t dropped, but Montour was under team control at the time and now he isn’t.

It was a 1st and Guhle vs a 3rd and 3 years of Montour playing games.

Ok.  I’m cool with this.  Now do more!

I generally agree, but they didn't get 3 seasons out of him -- he was acquired in Feb 2019 and played 112 games as a Sabre.

8 minutes ago, Shootica said:

I'd rather have the dart throws than not.  Wish we could've gotten a 2nd, but it doesn't surprise me that the market for Montour doesn't exist.

I was hoping for a 2nd but thought that was the ceiling.  A 3rd is OK IMHO.

Separately, even if the value received is another example of not-so-clever JB arbitrage, it was either re-sign him for a pretty expensive contract or trade him for whatever they could get.  I kinda like his game, and I think his lousy analytics are more a function of general Sabres suckitude over a small sample size than an indictment of his game, so I would've been OK with keeping him.  OTOH, I can understand their decision not to do so -- they have young D-men to move in, and they want to change the mix in the locker room, and they need the cap space for goalies/Reino/new blood/other.

I hope they make a few more good moves.

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Third round picks are nearly worthless.  NEARLY.

Yep.  Though they can be bundled with other currency to get things that do have worth.

At least we have not retained any salary, at least according to Dreger.

Can't believe we gave up a prospect and a first round draft pick for that guy! 

Thanks, Botterill.  

32 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This isn't a good day. Montour wasn't the problem. We're not better. No problem has been solved. Not yet. Still waiting.

Agree with this.  Hate this time of the season.  We need hockey trades not scratch off tickets

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Useful comment there, chief.

If you're going to say nothing, why bother typing?

For PASabrefan and those suggesting Montour was actually a good hockey player.....

I don’t think this is an addition by subtraction situation though. As much as we’ve all been underwhelmed by Montours play,   We didn’t improve because of this trade.  Right now his replacement is...... Irwin? So PAs comment is correct.

• Like (+1) 1

This year: Montour 7 Yr veteran D. 38 games,  5-9-14 points and playing better since the RaKru shackles were removed. Going to a team with significant need who had lost their top RHD. 3rd rounder.

Last year: Scandella 10 Yr veteran D. 51 games (when MTL moved him to STL), 4-8-12 and playing less effectively as the season went on with Jokiharju. 2020 2nd rounder and a conditional 4th rounder in 2021.

No salary retained in either case. Scandella had a higher salary.

Why are we incapable of netting a 2nd round pick for a rental UFA D?

Edited by DarthEbriate

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.