OT:Toronto Blue Jays to Play Games at Sahlen’s Field this Summer

Brawndo

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yankees by a mile. A few Mets fans sprinkled in. Mainly because they show those games in WNY and not the Jays.

Makes sense. I’m in the Capital Region and get all the Sabres games. TV access is huge to what team you pick. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yankees by a mile. A few Mets fans sprinkled in. Mainly because they show those games in WNY and not the Jays.

....and then there is me.  I am a "anybody but the Yankees" kind of fan. 😂

I liked the Cardinals as a kid in the 60's and 70's, but now, I'm just a baseball fan, usually just cheering for the underdog, or a team that has a player(s) that I am a fan of.

Edited by LabattBlue

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

So you believe ticket prices are going to start at $300-$400?

For normal people?  Probably, although very recent news might impact that and help lower prices; that is, after all, why they moved the sale out by a week.  For season ticket holders (and really, how many are there?) who can buy early?  No, I think somewhat less expensive.  I'm niot sure how much less expensive.  If they can sell only 4000 tickets, this is going to be expensive.  10,000, less so, but still, MLB in Buffalo for the first time since the 19th Century?!

Edited by Eleven

38 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Blue Jays have a "dynamic pricing" policy so get ready to fork it over for those Yankees tickets.

I don’t really care about the opponent. I just want to take in a couple of games early, before they open up the border and move back to Toronto. 

8 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Are most people in Buffalo Jays fans or Yankees fans? Always wondered that.

I am an anti-NYC fan.  I don't see why anyone in Buffalo would root for a team that's 400 miles away.

I live in the Texas Rangers market and I get to be a Buffalo sports fan with them:  one of their catchers, Jonah Heim, is from Buffalo.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

The Yankees probably don't want to give up or share their historical TV rights to the WNY market... But it only makes sense that Buffalo should be a Blue Jays town with the farm team right there.

Do they show the Mets games in Buffalo too?

Pretty sure they do. Local cable carries both SNY and YES.

On 4/8/2021 at 10:36 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Dunedin apparently gets too hot and too rainy in the summer. They would be in Buffalo sooner but there is still construction to be done to bring the lockers closer to MLB standard.

I'll never forget the time a former MLB player (Yankees, IIRC) spoke to our men's group in church a few years ago. Aside from him telling us that he hit a homer over the Green Monster at Fenway Park in his first ever at bat, I told him where I was from. He said that when he played in the minors, Buffalo was one of the coldest places he'd ever played in.

19 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Are most people in Buffalo Jays fans or Yankees fans? Always wondered that.

I've always been a Jays fan due to location. The irony is rich since one of our most hated teams is also from Toronto.

49 minutes ago, Crosschecking said:

I'll never forget the time a former MLB player (Yankees, IIRC) spoke to our men's group in church a few years ago. Aside from him telling us that he hit a homer over the Green Monster at Fenway Park in his first ever at bat, I told him where I was from. He said that when he played in the minors, Buffalo was one of the coldest places he'd ever played in.

I've always been a Jays fan due to location. The irony is rich since one of our most hated teams is also from Toronto.

That's because the ####ers running the NC (Durham?) franchise for years got to set the league's schedule & gave the northern teams the ####### April home dates because "their" fans didn't want to come to games with the temperature in the high 50's & 60's.  Like anyone wants to come to a game when it's 40 out.

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

The Yankees probably don't want to give up or share their historical TV rights to the WNY market... But it only makes sense that Buffalo should be a Blue Jays town with the farm team right there.

Do they show the Mets games in Buffalo too?

Buffalo is in the CLE, PITT, NY, NY market for baseball. 

13 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Like anyone wants to come to a game when it's 40 out.

Well, there were certainly plenty of people who came out to the Sabres-Pens game out in Orchard Park a few years ago.

And don't forget all of the HS football games people went to see whilst still dressed like Inuits in Alaska.

1 minute ago, Crosschecking said:

Well, there were certainly plenty of people who came out to the Sabres-Pens game out in Orchard Park a few years ago.

And don't forget all of the HS football games people went to see whilst still dressed like Inuits in Alaska.

Did you really need the adjective "baseball" be placed before the word "game?"

Watching baseball in 40 degree weather is slightly worse than watching football in a 35 degree rainy day.  And before you come back with "people watch World Series games in cold weather," remember we're talking about playing AAA baseball in April above the Mason Dixon line.  That is not pleasant.

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Did you really need the adjective "baseball" be placed before the word "game?"

Watching baseball in 40 degree weather is slightly worse than watching football in a 35 degree rainy day.  And before you come back with "people watch World Series games in cold weather," remember we're talking about playing AAA baseball in April above the Mason Dixon line.  That is not pleasant.

I spent about 8 hours at the ballpark during the Nats-Giants 18 inning NLDS game. Was probably 50 and drizzly from five minutes before first pitch until the game wrapped up. Only time I’ve ever gone out and bought a sweatshirt because I was cold in the moment. Anyway, yeah, it’s miserable. I always enjoyed Bison home openers, but wouldn’t want to be at game two. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Wouldnt it be great if the Jays pulled a Ralph Wilson and played a couple games a season in Buffalo.

Won't happen. They are taking a bath right now. Being able to have some fans in Buffalo lessens the sting. But they would never choose to play here over Toronto. That's why you gotta see it if you can.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Won't happen. They are taking a bath right now. Being able to have some fans in Buffalo lessens the sting. But they would never choose to play here over Toronto. That's why you gotta see it if you can.

I'm actually in Canada, but Sahlen Field would be way better to watch a game at vs Rogers Centre. If they picked some dates or teams that historically draw poorly, it could maybe break even... Especially given the ancillary benefit of getting more WNY'ers to games in TO.

Likely it would never happen, but it's fun to think about.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.