OT:Toronto Blue Jays to Play Games at Sahlen’s Field this Summer

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Fans will be allowed to attend 

I hope to attend at least a few games. I'm guessing tix will be $50 and up?

Steps need to be taken to keep brokers/scalpers from sucking up all the tix.

Edited by LabattBlue

Ok, so the Blue Jays played here last year....the Jays will play here in front of FANS this year....they are the closest MLB team to the area (geographically), and they are the parent club of our minor league team. Most of the northern Suburbs can pick up a radio station that broadcasts all their games and has a lot of sports talk about the team (590am) 

So MLB, change your STUPID RULES so we can actually WATCH the Jays on TV on local cable for the first time in years (decades?)!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Ok, so the Blue Jays played here last year....the Jays will play here in front of FANS this year....they are the closest MLB team to the area (geographically), and they are the parent club of our minor league team. Most of the northern Suburbs can pick up a radio station that broadcasts all their games and has a lot of sports talk about the team (590am) 

So MLB, change your STUPID RULES so we can actually WATCH the Jays on TV on local cable for the first time in years (decades?)!!

I haven't paid attention in recent years, if you get the MLB TV package(or whatever they call it), are the Cleveland and Toronto games still blacked out if you live in WNY?

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Are you not taking account of capacity limits? 20% if they stick to what the state said earlier. 20K capacity, so that's no more than 4K.

Ok, 4000 seats, not 3000 seats.

They're still not going for $50.  Again, multiply by 6 or 8.

Edited by Eleven

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Do the same so we can watch Sabres games here without Centre ice......

I used to be able to see the arena while driving  in Areas of Fort Erie when I worked there, but you can't get MSG here so you need to pa the NHL to get their games.

What I don't get about this though, is they are going to relocate the Bisons from their home field so the jays can play there, why not just keep playing from Dunedin then?

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

I used to be able to see the arena while driving  in Areas of Fort Erie when I worked there, but you can't get MSG here so you need to pa the NHL to get their games.

What I don't get about this though, is they are going to relocate the Bisons from their home field so the jays can play there, why not just keep playing from Dunedin then?

I'm not sure either. With spring training in Dunedin, I'm sure they have pretty good training facilities there.  Also, I'm sure some of the staff, and even some players, have places down there to stay they are familiar with.  Maybe its the weather?  They played outdoors in Texas for years....and in Atlanta (which can be brutally hot in the summer) but maybe they just think it will be too hot/humid to play outdoor games there the entire season?  I'm not really sure myself of the reason.

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Dunedin apparently gets too hot and too rainy in the summer. They would be in Buffalo sooner but there is still construction to be done to bring the lockers closer to MLB standard.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Oh I misunderstood your post. Yes, maybe last row in the bleachers for $50. The rest will be $$$$. And they will sell out. 

That was my point.  I didn’t say all tix would be $50.  I was speculating that they would start around $50. 

I don't live in Buffalo anymore, but I think it is really cool that there will be live MLB games (with some fans this year) and would definitely love to attend if I am able to make it into town this summer.

I also realize how old I am getting when I read in the article that Sahlen Field is one of the oldest ballparks in the minor leagues.  I attended the first-ever game in this ballpark (then Pilot Field, in 1988).  At the time, it was state-of-the-art for minor league ballparks and was built to major league specs, absent the seating capacity.  An upper deck was in the design plans and would be added if and when Buffalo got its major league franchise.  In my mind, it's still the new downtown ballpark.

Edited by msw2112

I've watched three MLB games live:

• A Blue Jays exhibition game indoors in the dome in Vancouver in the late '80s where me and my buddies amused ourselves from the boredom of the game by making up stories about Rance Mulliniks
  • A Mariners game 6-8 years ago in Safeco in Seattle with the wife and kids where we left early after the beautiful architecture and the King Felix bobbleheads stopped being distractions
  • A gorgeous summer afternoon in San Diego where my young bride and I watched the Expos and Padres through a haze of sunshine and way too many weak American beers.

None of the good times in any of those experiences had anything to do with what was happening on the field. There are rare occasions when the drama transcends the action and the game can become riveting. But as a spectator sport, a routine baseball game just ain't got it.

Edited by dudacek

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

I've watched three MLB games live:

• A Blue Jays exhibition game indoors in the dome in Vancouver in the late '80s where me and my buddies amused ourselves from the boredom of the game by making up stories about Rance Mulliniks
  • A Mariners game 6-8 years ago in Safeco in Seattle with the wife and kids where we left early after the beautiful architecture and the King Felix bobbleheads stopped being distractions
  • A gorgeous summer afternoon in San Diego where my young bride and I watched the Expos and Padres through a haze of sunshine and way too many weak American beers.

None of the good times in any of those experiences had anything to do with what was happening on the field. There are rare occasions when the drama transcends the action and the game can become riveting. But as a spectator sport, a routine baseball game just ain't got it.

And the possibility of taking my dad & kids to a game is the only reason I'll be looking into getting tix for A game.  

Agree with a lot of your sentiment.  But would've vehemently disagreed with you prior to canceling the WS in '94.

On 4/8/2021 at 8:20 PM, msw2112 said:

It's time to move the team to Buffalo on a permanent basis.  🙂

Don't expect Gaddy Lee to support this move, nor the home plate gal who was one of those cut outs from last summer.

On 4/9/2021 at 5:58 PM, msw2112 said:

I don't live in Buffalo anymore, but I think it is really cool that there will be live MLB games (with some fans this year) and would definitely love to attend if I am able to make it into town this summer.

I also realize how old I am getting when I read in the article that Sahlen Field is one of the oldest ballparks in the minor leagues.  I attended the first-ever game in this ballpark (then Pilot Field, in 1988).  At the time, it was state-of-the-art for minor league ballparks and was built to major league specs, absent the seating capacity.  An upper deck was in the design plans and would be added if and when Buffalo got its major league franchise.  In my mind, it's still the new downtown ballpark.

One of the oldest MILB ball parks? 😮 Hoo boy. When I think of "old", I think of the Rockpile.

• 5 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.