The Mittelstadt Line

Eleven

5 hours ago, French Collection said:

Asplund has been playing well. Looks good on the wing with Mitts.

This guy was drafted as a C and could be 4C or even a 3C option down the road if needed.

Should be noted Tim Murray traded up to get him 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

If it is the 3rd scoring line that leaves 1 piece to be added to lock down the 3 "scoring" lines.  They'd have 4 wings & Eichel to cover most of the top 6, but would like to see a 2C that could cover 2C for 1-2 seasons until Mjttelstadt &/or Cozens are truly ready for the role.

Still not sold on Thompson, but really liked his play the last 2 games.  He didn't look nearly as uncoordinated as even a week ago.  If he has finally grown into his body he could beva player.  Will need to see a few more like the last 2 to start believing, but at least there's some hints at this level that he could be figuring it out.

Presumably Eakin, Okposo, & Girgensons are back next year holding down the 4th line (for good or bad) leaving the 2C as the only forward get to come from outside.

Get the other NHL goalie and a couple of D to replace FAs they lose & the guy Francis scoops up & this team could be something the new coach can make something of.

These things would seem to hopefully return us to competence - if playoffs are the goal I think we need to aim a little higher. And that's up to and including finding replacements for Eakin, or even KO. 

One top 6 F is the bare minimum and really just replaces Hall. Combined with the goalie add, to me those are the base level requirements, aside from replacing the lost-to-UFA depth on D. 

If we intend to make a playoff push and we want to count on something a little more tangible than the schedule lightening and growth from the younger players, it'll be about what Adams does with the roster beyond those stated roster alterations. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

These things would seem to hopefully return us to competence - if playoffs are the goal I think we need to aim a little higher. And that's up to and including finding replacements for Eakin, or even KO. 

One top 6 F is the bare minimum and really just replaces Hall. Combined with the goalie add, to me those are the base level requirements, aside from replacing the lost-to-UFA depth on D. 

If we intend to make a playoff push and we want to count on something a little more tangible than the schedule lightening and growth from the younger players, it'll be about what Adams does with the roster beyond those stated roster alterations. 

After a decade of nothing, would like to be greedy and bring in more than 1 F from outside, but for the 1st time in seemingly ever, that is all they NEED added up front.

Is possible & actually likely that Skinner ends up Hall's replacement in the top 6.  Staal is the one that hasn't necessarily been replaced in the system.  Though there are at least 3 guys here that will get consideration towards filling that role.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

After a decade of nothing, would like to be greedy and bring in more than 1 F from outside, but for the 1st time in seemingly ever, that is all they NEED added up front.

Is possible & actually likely that Skinner ends up Hall's replacement in the top 6.  Staal is the one that hasn't necessarily been replaced in the system.  Though there are at least 3 guys here that will get consideration towards filling that role.

Ehhhhhh

That’s really all we need, coming off one of the worst seasons of all time? Greedy?!

Remember this last offseason when people were saying “wow, it’s finally nice to have TOO MANY players to fit into the top 6 (re Skinner)!” Our roster was finally “there”, apparently, for the first time in “ever”. 

We never learn and are setting ourselves up for the same smoke being blown up the same as*es haha. Let’s field a real team, ya? 

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

Skinner Eichel New Guy

Olofsson Reinhart Cozens

Asplund Mitts Tage

Zemgus Lazar Kyle 

...looks a lot better than it did a month ago, with Cozens and Reinhart shifting according to whatever position/style new guy is. 

Let’s hope Skinner bounces back from that big non-slump as you call it 

..and that Olofsson grows into a legit even strength top 6 player 

...and that Cozens can stay healthy and prove himself worthy of top 6 over an 82 game season 

...and that him or Reinhart can indeed play C a full season 

It’s basically the same F lineup as a last place team being viewed through the prism of higher faith in the kids based on a stretch of games under Granato 

It would be yet another lineup based on hope and best case scenarios. Not close to good enough unless the expectation is nothing more than “better sell off all the UFAs at the deadline” 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, dudacek said:

Skinner Eichel New Guy

Olofsson Reinhart Cozens

Asplund Mitts Tage

Zemgus Lazar Kyle 

...looks a lot better than it did a month ago, with Cozens and Reinhart shifting according to whatever position/style new guy is. 

I'd trade Olofsson or put him in the Asplund spot and try to add a #2 LW

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

Ehhhhhh

That’s really all we need, coming off one of the worst seasons of all time? Greedy?!

Remember this last offseason when people were saying “wow, it’s finally nice to have TOO MANY players to fit into the top 6 (re Skinner)!” Our roster was finally “there”, apparently, for the first time in “ever”. 

We never learn and are setting ourselves up for the same smoke being blown up the same as*es haha. Let’s field a real team, ya? 

...and that Cozens can stay healthy and prove himself worthy of top 6 over an 82 game season 

It’s basically the same F lineup as a last place team being viewed through the prism of higher faith in the kids based on a stretch of games under Granato 

It would be yet another lineup based on hope and best case scenarios. Not close to good enough unless the expectation is nothing more than “better sell off all the UFAs at the deadline” 

Realizing it is a broken record, but fix the blanking goaltending & bring in a competent 2C that won't simply go through the motions & this team, when healthy, is playoff caliber.  Even with the current warts.

And, yes, rather than just fix those 2 issues, my preference is to be greedy and get about 4 quality upgrades plus have the kids that are in house start/continue rising towards their ceilings.

Want to see Stanley Cup caliber & them playing to that level.  After a decade of nearly exclusively bottom 5 finishes (a run that was started intentionally) am willing to settle for playoff caliber and playing to that level.

A coaching upgrade would help, too.  And is available.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Realizing it is a broken record, but fix the blanking goaltending & bring in a competent 2C that won't simply go through the motions & this team, when healthy, is playoff caliber.  Even with the current warts.

And, yes, rather than just fix those 2 issues, my preference is to be greedy and get about 4 quality upgrades plus have the kids that are in house start/continue rising towards their ceilings.

Want to see Stanley Cup caliber & them playing to that level.  After a decade of nearly exclusively bottom 5 finishes (a run that was started intentionally) am willing to settle for playoff caliber and playing to that level.

A coaching upgrade would help, too.  And is available.

For whatever reason I think it’s more likely we find a winger. Maybe cause it took so long to address 2C it seemed it wasn’t going to happen, and then when we finally got a guy, it was fool’s gold. It’s so hard to acquire top centres from outside the organization - teams don’t generally let them get away. It’s why trading ROblah blah blah

We’ve waited, we’d suffered, I think we MIGHT have it filled internally with Cozens, and maybe that was/is the only way we were going to able to fill that spot. It’s not the most egregious bet in that lineup, at least.

Just surround him with play drivers on the wing to give the scenario the best chance of working. If we can get a t6 C through trade, great (and I ideally want to draft a C), I just don’t see it happening. 

If I had my way, we’d only be counting on one of Skinner or Olofsson to fill a spot in the top 6, and that means adding a LW and a RW. 

Eichel, Cozens, Reinhart, Skinner/Olofsson I think is okay. I’d be looking to add those 2 guys. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

Skinner Eichel New Guy

Olofsson Reinhart Cozens

Asplund Mitts Tage

Zemgus Lazar Kyle 

Reinhart is not a center.     You can't have a 2C that win's 30% of his face-offs, unless you only give them O-zone starts.    That line is also a collective -50 this season, no bueno.      I could see Cozens at center (60% FO), with Reinhart and Okposo as a 3rd line maybe.     

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

Reinhart is not a center.     You can't have a 2C that win's 30% of his face-offs, unless you only give them O-zone starts.    That line is also a collective -50 this season, no bueno.      I could see Cozens at center (60% FO), with Reinhart and Okposo as a 3rd line maybe.     

Faceoffs still matter so little in this game it isn't funny. 

That said Beniers is really good at faceoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Cozens with Reinhart on his wing with a winger you consider a bit better than Reinhart at LW, with a Cozens second-year jump gets us a L2. Eichel with Skinner and a RW acquisition. 

Olofsson does ok in 3rd line offensive minutes at ES with Mittelstadt and Thompson. 

I like Lazar but the reason he’s a good guy to have as your 13th F is BECAUSE he can capably play 4th line when needed. And it’s when, it’s always when re:injuries. A checking C IS a C I could see KA capable of adding. Would be a massive help. Asplund on the wing and I guess KO has to be at 4RW. 

Haven’t thought about D yet, but Dahlin is my “bet” on player, there. I think an acceptable unit is manageably achieved if they pro scout the right depth replacement.

Good backup goalie addition. Experienced coach. 

That’s a good baseline if the expectation is playoffs/fighting for playoffs, imo.

It ^ may all be totally irrelevant if they want to shake up parts of the core. 

Edited by Thorny

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Faceoffs still matter so little in this game it isn't funny. 

That said Beniers is really good at faceoffs. 

https://www.the-rink.com/despite-what-some-experts-say-faceoffs-matter/

"Win a clean draw to your defenseman on the penalty kill in your zone, and 9 times out of 10 that puck is going hard around the boards and out. Win the draw to your defenseman in the offensive zone on the power play and you have a good chance of setting up and initiating a play."

It would be nice if they didn't need to put Lazar or Eakin out to start OT....

Edited by pi2000

Just now, pi2000 said:

https://www.the-rink.com/despite-what-some-experts-say-faceoffs-matter/

"Win a clean draw to your defenseman on the penalty kill in your zone, and 9 times out of 10 that puck is going hard around the boards and out. Win the draw to your defenseman in the offensive zone on the power play and you have a good chance of setting up and initiating a play."

There's a keyword in there. 

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

I wasn't endorsing that line-up, just making a general comment.

• Like (+1) 1

Mitts finally coming into his own.. Asplund is a speed pest and TT finally simplifying his game.  Helps that he has two good passers with that rocket of a shot.  Sabres may have found their third line that can situationally move up and down and be a headache for other teams.  Like "ATM" line name.  Jack, Sam, Skins and Ollie leave top 2 lines short a player. 

If Sabres can draft Bernier or another guy with moxie and skill or sign a FA with that skill set.  Bernier probably will need a year of development.

Cozens needs to get stronger and bigger up top but has the right attitude so there is the other center.  Just concerned about top 6.  If Sabres can trade Hall for a young guy then it sounds good but At this point I want to keep Sam and Jack apart because Sam does so much better out of that shadow.  Put him with Cozens and Ollie and find a skilled tough forward if you can to go with Jack and Skins.

Bkup Goalie imo is the most pressing issue needing upgrade.  D is coming with Borgen... who knows about McCabe... knee injuries take a while... Hopefully things break right way, but man are there a lot of hopeful moving parts.

Edited by North Buffalo

Not sure if you guys caught KO’s interview after the Flyer game, but they asked him about the kids.

Said he’s keeping the details between them, but it sound like he has been doing some mentoring with Casey and Casey has really taken some things to heart. Kyle is impressed with how Mitts has responded to being given the responsibility of a top line centre.

Also, (me, not Kyle) Rasmus Asplund is just a dog on a bone out there lately. Really enjoying his game.

The RK effect

Mitts

Games w RK as coach - 44 - 5g 9a 14 pts (.32 pts per game)

Games w Granato as coach - 13 - 5g 2a 7pts (.54 pts per game)

Asplund 

Games w RK as coach - 34 - 2g 2a 4 pts (.12 pts per game)

Games w Granato as coach - 8 - 4g 1a 5pts (.63 pts per game)

Thompson 

Games w RK as coach 14 - 1g  1a 2pts (.14 pts per game)

Games w Granato as coach - 10 - 3g 2a 5pts (.5 pts per game)

On 4/9/2021 at 1:44 AM, Thorny said:

That was not irrational exuberance at the time.  We believed Eichel was healthy, Skinner was a recent 40 goal scorer, Hall was a fairly recent MVP (and reuniting with a coach he said he liked), Staal is likely a HOFer.  Maybe Staal as 2C was a stretch considering his age but it would have been reasonable to assume he would be better than late-career David Legwand (who was a steady influence during Reino & Eich's rookie year).

There were already grumblings that XHCRFK was not a good coach, but players were brought in to fill the obvious roster holes:  Good players with good pedigrees.  Other than maybe Rieder (who was basically an afterthought) none of them lived up to expectations.

It seems now that Hall just wanted to make some $ while waiting on a trade to a contender (Boston) and the coach we hoped would put it all together was a fraud.  The only way this was avoidable is if KA had fired XHCRFK on his first day, but he was likely told by ownership not to do that.

But from the viewpoint of the season's start, the general impression was that KA had made solid off-season moves to improve the roster.

The one bright spot this year has been the emergence of the ATM line, which was not really expected at all.  I think it's telling that they arrived only after XHCRFK was gone.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.