GDT: 4/6/21 Sabres at NJ Devils, 7pm ET, MSG & WGR

jsb

The Sabres definitely showed they still have problems with tight checking teams. But, they are also showing they can take great advantage of the other teams mistakes in their own end and make them pay. Devils play a fast defensive tight checking game that keeps them in most every game against everyone. Sabres played it well and hung in there and took advantage of what they got. Dahlin played one of his better games in the offensive zone and i hope he keeps going that way.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

No question about that. But what is also apparent is that the play of a significant portion of the roster such as Okposo, Montour, Dahlin and Joki are playing demonstrably better under this coach than the prior coach. 

My position on Granato is that he is not entitled to be the HC selection for next year. But if this depleted team performs well for him then why shouldn't he be given serious consideration for job over other candidates? 

9 hours ago, Curt said:

The Sabres were out shot and out chanced in this game, by NJ, who are a bad team.  The difference was goaltending and some nice finishing by Buffalo.  The team still is not playing well, but they look looser.

You made a keen observation about the Sabres making a strong finish in this game. And that is a differentiating point between the dispatched coach and the current coach. Prior to the elevation of Granato whenever the Sabres faced adversity they would predictably fold. Now, with a depleted team they continue to push ahead even after dealing with setbacks. There is no question in short order Granato has instilled a more positive psychology to this fragile unit. 

I'm not getting carried away and overinterpreting a a win against NJ in a game that from a territorial standpoint they had a decisive edge.  But what I am saying is that there is a marked improvement even from this injury riddled team after the installation of Granato. This coach is doing well in maximizing the talents of players on his limited roster. What more can you ask for from a coach?  

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, SDS said:

Weren’t those numbers reversed for most of the season?

Kinda. Under Krueger we did a lot of shot suppression in our super defense box. Someone else might be able to find the actual numbers under Krueger, it would be a great comparison. 

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

After all these years, you finally blame the goalie and I can't even agree with you. 🤣

I mean it was a crappy rebound, but it was a bad pinch by Dahlin to allow the shot in the first place, and Fogarty completely missed his man.

Plenty of blame to go around.

It's not that I disagree , but he does have two points and is +4 in the past five games.

Results gotta mean something, right? 🤷‍♂️

1G, 2A, +7 in the past five games, playing 24 minutes a night.

Is he finally shaking off the COVID?

This. Granato's refusal to answer the question was so telling.

I mean I'm mostly with @Taro T that the biggest change is Linus, but have never seen so many individual players look so much better after a coaching change.

They are legitimately entertaining to watch. Casey, Joki, Thompson, Asplund, Monty, Okposo...they've all sudden morphed in to the best versions of themselves.

And Dahlin...

Tonight was the type of game you expect from a first-overall franchise player — I can't believe he wasn't the first star. Two absolutely elite plays for his points, the second absolutely mind-blowing with the game on the line.

It was so beautiful

So because he had a secondary assist 3 games ago and his second goal of the season 5 games ago that nullifies my point about how bad he is? Nah

12 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Can you believe it was just a week or two ago that we were saying he was ruined?

Who's we?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.