21-22 goaltenders

sweetlou

I believe the Sabres will bring back Ullmark on a 2 or 3 year deal around $3.5 million cap hit.  Ullmark is 27 but has never played more than 37 games in a year.

The big question is who is going to be along side him.  I hope the Sabres go with a 1a 1b tandem instead of signing true back up.

Options for KA and contracts that should be offered.

Petr Mrazek- 2 years, $3.5 mil AAV.   29 years old, .968% in 5 games

Chris Driedger- 2 years, $2 mil AAV.   27 years old, .931% in 17 games

Jonathan Bernier- 1 year, $3 mil AAV. 32 years old, .918% in 17 games

Antti Raanta- 1 year, $3 mil AAV. 32 years old, .913% in 11 games

Brian Elliott- 1 year, $2.5 mil AAV. 36 years old, .888% in 19 games

Edited by sweetlou
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I believe the Sabres will bring back Ullmark on a 2 or 3 year deal around $3.5 million cap hit.  Ullmark is 27 but has never played more than 37 games in a year.

The big question is who is going to be along side him.  I hope the Sabres go with a 1a 1b tandem instead of signing true back up.

Do not want Elliott.  If he's a Sabre he won't get a chance to play against them & pad his stats.

40 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Thank you! Hmm interesting

2 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Driedger's numbers are intriguing but brief. 

Not one of those goalies is as good as Linus is right now, and none of them is an answer for more than next year.

Edited by dudacek

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Driedger's numbers are intriguing but brief. 

Not one of those goalies are as good as Linus is right now, and none of them is an answer for more than next year.

Yep.  If they want an upgrade to Ullmark, it'll have to be via trade.

But if they believe in UPL, bringing in a Raanta level guy should be good enough if Linus is also in house.

Ullmark will demand and get around 5 mil. per from someone. Will it be the Sabres? I also think he’ll push for more than a 3 year deal. More like 4 - 5 years.

As long as the other goalie is as good or better than Ullmark, I couldn’t care less what the name on the back is. And as long as the contract isn’t stupid expensive.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Anybody but Hutton. 

Yup

bring in a real backup that gives us a chance to win games when Ullmark isn’t in 

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Yep.  If they want an upgrade to Ullmark, it'll have to be via trade.

But if they believe in UPL, bringing in a Raanta level guy should be good enough if Linus is also in house.

Even if they don’t believe in UPL a Raanta level guy would be an upgrade at G2

• Like (+1) 1

I like Linus as a goaltender but again he has never played in more than 37 games as the "starter".  KA should go to him and his agent and say you're getting Binnington type of contract after he won cup, ($4.25 for two years).

I think St Louis and Vancouver will both regret the Binnington and Demko contracts in a couple of years.

I don't see Linus pulling in a Demko-level contract.  I'd wager he gets something in the realm of 3 years, $4-4.5M AAV.

Demko is younger, has had considerable hype at every step in his progression, and had justified that hype at every level.  He is viewed as a long-term franchise goalie, and I think he is one.

I'd bet that Linus is looked at as a goalie on the rise and a capable starter, but one with question marks.  Teams want stability in net, his injury history is going to scare people off.  There is associated risk there that will bring his value down.

And for that price, I'd absolutely bring him back.

12 hours ago, sweetlou said:

If Bales is brought back i think he worked with Mrazek in 2018-2019 for one of his best seasons.  

36 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

If Bales is brought back i think he worked with Mrazek in 2018-2019 for one of his best seasons.  

Please don't even joke that Bales might not be back.  He should not be allowed out the door until well after he contemplates retiring.

Just now, Taro T said:

Please don't even joke that Bales might not be back.  He should not be allowed out the door until well after he contemplates retiring.

I assume he left Carolina because of money?  So as long as the money's good i guess he probably sticks around.  Could be helpful in keeping ullmark as well as he seems to improved working under Bales.

1 minute ago, Drag0nDan said:

I assume he left Carolina because of money?  So as long as the money's good i guess he probably sticks around.  Could be helpful in keeping ullmark as well as he seems to improved working under Bales.

No data on why he left there.  Their loss was our gain.

Will be quite annoyed should he pull up stakes anytime soon.

30 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

28 minutes ago, Taro T said:

No data on why he left there.  Their loss was our gain.

Will be quite annoyed should he pull up stakes anytime soon.

When he left Carolina and joined Buffalo, he got an improved title, from goalie coach to assistant coach, and I would assume a raise along with it.

Ullmark’s number will go up with the open market waiting. The No. 31 goalie spot in the 31-team NHL is Anton Khudobin’s $3.33 million. The No. 15 position belongs to Robin Lehner and his $5 million deal.

https://theathletic.com/2500079/2021/04/05/what-should-the-sabres-do-with-goalie-linus-ullmark-his-career-has-been-on-a-steady-incline/

I think we really need to understand that Ullmark is going to be in the 4-6 range. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

https://theathletic.com/2500079/2021/04/05/what-should-the-sabres-do-with-goalie-linus-ullmark-his-career-has-been-on-a-steady-incline/

I think we really need to understand that Ullmark is going to be in the 4-6 range. 

Would be shocked if his deal isn't in that range.

Darn shame incentivized contracts aren't allowed for goalies as they seem more subject to wild variances in results than even rookies & fossils hoping for 1 last healthy year.  (Guys who are eligible for incentivized contracts.)

Ullmark would be a poster boy for getting a $3MM base with up to $5MM in makable incentives. 

11 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I'd lock up Ullmark for a minimum of 3 years but shoot for 5 if it can help with the cap. I know it's still early, but UPL isn't looking anywhere near an effective NHL goalie. There's still time, but he's looking far from the lock many have him pegged as.

This.. and frankly as long as you aren't throwing in NMCs on his contract the Sabres will be able to move one of them should UPL up his game in the future.  Good teams don't let players walk in the hope of the future player developing.  They sign the contract for a good player and then make decisions on how to handle things in a few years when the situation changes.

I would have no problem signing Ullmark 5x5 right now.  I don't think he's going to have the bottom fall out.  He's a great team player as near as I can tell. You pull that trigger and plan for the succession/back-up situation.

Watching UPL last night it just makes me realize how far he is away.

He has been sliding outside his post consistently and leaving the net wide open. NHL level talent will score on that all day. 

Good coaching can get him right I'd think but for now he's just not there

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.