Sam Reinhart is a center

LGR4GM

Sam was drafted as a centre after having a lot of success at that position in junior. He has not been given a fair shot at it at the NHL level. He is a good playmaker and positionally smart enough to be effective as a 2C. Having enough talented wingers for him and Jack will be an important off season move or two. Let Cozens and Mitts battle it out for 3C with the loser playing wing. Lazar is a competent 4C and we have a semblance of a centre spine.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Sam was drafted as a centre after having a lot of success at that position in junior. He has not been given a fair shot at it at the NHL level. He is a good playmaker and positionally smart enough to be effective as a 2C. Having enough talented wingers for him and Jack will be an important off season move or two. Let Cozens and Mitts battle it out for 3C with the loser playing wing. Lazar is a competent 4C and we have a semblance of a centre spine.

Although in this case I think the loser would really be a winner as they'd move from 3C to become a winger alongside either Jack or Samson.

• Like (+1) 3

If Cozens takes the next developmental step we all expect and Mitts takes the next step that has been keeping GA up at night it’s all needless anyway because Sam will be back to being more valuable as the obvious best RW on the team.

I see it this way, Sam *might* turn into a good 2C on a good team.  But we know he has good 1RW on a good team ability.  We all expect Cozens to become a good 2C, so we’re back to, where is he most valuable?

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is another over reaction thread. He's been tried at C before and his stats always go down in that role. Also, most importantly, his face off percentages suck. 

First, he hasn't been tried in 5 years. Second, faceoffs have very limited value as a stat.

Edited by LGR4GM

Curious why you think he was good at center?

6 for 23 on faceoffs.   He looked lost in the d-zone IMO.   

He was OK as a fill in, but he's a better winger IMO.

Edited by pi2000

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Some posts are being moved around to different threads here .... I did not post anything about Granato in the Sam Reinhart is a center thread. 

Most of us out of towners just assumed with the recent legalization that we had some confused posters celebrating on here.

I guess it all depends who the center spine is going to be, Jack-Cozens-Mitts........... Jack- Reinhart- Cozens?? Jack- Reinhart- Mitts?? Depends on what the new coach has in mind and who they get rid of this trade deadline season. The next week should be interesting, I just hope they make some good decisions for a change.

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

look it up. He's well below 50%.

Tell me that when they ice the puck and he has to go up against Bergeron with the game on the line. 

Lol. Okay, it's a worthless stat with no correlation to wins. In this super specific scenario, it's still useless. 

Flyers sit 3rd in faceoff percentage, clearly has helped them to great heights. 

18 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

look it up. He's well below 50%.

Tell me that when they ice the puck and he has to go up against Bergeron with the game on the line. 

I don’t care about FO percentage.  Have another forward on that line take them.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

And why yes, the guy who's taken like 250 faceoffs in his NHL career isn't great at it. 

I'm trying to comprehend someone saying you can't be a center unless you win x% off faceoffs and I just can't. 

Isn't great at it? 

He's downright terrible at it.

Being bad at it doesn't preclude him playing center, but it's part of the overall package.

He's a much better winger at this point of his career, less of a liability defensively.

• Like (+1) 1

Reino's results at center, should he stay there for the rest of the season, will be an interesting sub-plot in the drama of what happens with him this summer -- extension, trade, arbitration, etc.

I think the Sabres probably want to play faster, and Reino at C is not conducive to increasing team speed, so I think his best use on this team is probably at RW.  OTOH, Reino is a good, smart player and it's certainly quite possible that he demonstrates the ability to be a difference-maker at #2C. 

That would be a pretty sweet development.  Among other things, it would keep the pressure off Cozens' development.

43 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Reino's results at center, should he stay there for the rest of the season, will be an interesting sub-plot in the drama of what happens with him this summer -- extension, trade, arbitration, etc.

I think the Sabres probably want to play faster, and Reino at C is not conducive to increasing team speed, so I think his best use on this team is probably at RW.  OTOH, Reino is a good, smart player and it's certainly quite possible that he demonstrates the ability to be a difference-maker at #2C. 

That would be a pretty sweet development.  Among other things, it would keep the pressure off Cozens' development.

(1) Every team wants to play faster, regardless of system or play style.  No team wants to play slower.  Whatever strategy a team wants to employ, they want the players to execute it fast, not slow.

(2) How does Reinhart at W help the team play faster than Reinhart at C?

I have to assume every coach that Reinhart has had in the NHL is aligned with the faceoff truthers.   He clearly excels in the role minus that one, very arguably, aspect of playing center.  Almost every great center has entered the league less than ideal on the dot.  I suspect he’ll improve on the 40% he’s toting around right now. 

35 minutes ago, Curt said:

(1) Every team wants to play faster, regardless of system or play style.  No team wants to play slower.  Whatever strategy a team wants to employ, they want the players to execute it fast, not slow.

(2) How does Reinhart at W help the team play faster than Reinhart at C?

I guess you’ve never been watched the Islanders play. 

13 hours ago, inkman said:

They literally have all puck moving dman and swift skating forwards minus Okposo.  

Okposo won a flat out footrace with K'Andre Miller last night.  He's not as slow as he was when he was first getting over his injury.  I think in the long run, this spate of injuries is going to show our next coach what our players can really do.  Okie is a creditable top six forward.  Tage and Mitts are better than average middle-sixers finding chemistry together.  Reino is a decent center.  Having players play out of their comfort zones is actually improving them.

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

Are you talking about the guy that hit 25.4 mph as he blew past a Rangers' Dman last night?

Where the heck did that come from?

Yeah, I saw they put the speed up but missed what he hit.  He's not as slow as many around here think.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.