How a bad coach and an over-reacting GM could set back this franchise for years...

dejeanneret

On 4/4/2021 at 10:09 AM, Zamboni said:

I think a bunch of Hockey fans do this exact thing with Dmen who “get physical”. Overrate their true value. Especially considering the way the NHL is today vs. the 70’s, 80’s, and early 90’s.

The had 4 hits for the entire game against Rangers. We need someone to 'get physical' even in today's NHL.

• Like (+1) 1

The Pegula's were learning on the job when they bought the Sabers and it was painful for everyone. They had their early learning problems with the Bills as well and it wasn't until getting the right people (Beane/McDerrmit) to build a winning organization. They had numerous advisors for the Sabres with terrible results and I like that they are taking control and making the decisions at the top instead of listening to the advisors. This team started out respectable until the New Jersey covid took them out and ended their season. The good news is it exposed Kruger as a major problem and it's appropriate that the Pegula's make the call on his termination and it probably came from Kevin. He may be new to this position but I think he has what it takes that draws on his years of playing experience. There is a lot of talent on this team and believe in Kevin turning this into a winner real soon. We are lucky to have the Pegula's as owners of both teams without threat of moving them and I think the Sabers are on the right path and it starts with attitude.

On 4/4/2021 at 10:30 AM, inkman said:

What I usually see is Risto attempting to play the body, the puck immediately is sent to the net where his teammates are undoubtedly completely unprepared for the predicament he has left them in.  

On 4/4/2021 at 3:05 PM, Pimlach said:

But that doesn’t happen when Chara, Jones, Parayko and most other defenseman play the body? 

On 4/4/2021 at 4:53 PM, inkman said:

Not when I’m watching 

On 4/4/2021 at 5:38 PM, Let's Go B-Lo said:

So what I'm hearing you say is Risto is playing HIS man and nobody else covers the front of the net.

Here is Risto playing the body to perfection 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

We're gonna pretend Bryson did a good job there? But Risto ties his guy up and the puck goes off the guy's leg and that's the problem on that play.

I didn’t say anything about Bryson. This is like arguing with my wife 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

We're gonna pretend Bryson did a good job there? But Risto ties his guy up and the puck goes off the guy's leg and that's the problem on that play.

That’s not the point.  The point is that playing the body wasn’t the right play there.  His guy beat him to the net front then Risto hugged him from behind.  It didn’t help.  He needed to stop the puck from going in the net.

Just now, Let's Go B-Lo said:

So Risto loses a 2 on 1 in the corner as Sheahan is having a nice watch. The puck goes to the point and the forward can't get out there. Sheahan is slow getting back to his actual position and has no awareness of the man on the far dot, doesn't go to the man or get his stick in the passing lane so the puck rotates to a wide open guy on the dot.  Bryson does nothing useful in the corner, goes back to the front and gets pushed off balance by Zajac. Zajac is now open in front as Bryson is out of position and allowing Zajac to be behind him totally unguarded. Zacha hits Zajac's stick with the pass which deflects off Bratt's leg who had cut to the net.  Could Risto have boxed out better?  Yes.  The puck would have gone off his leg into the net then.  Did he get himself out of position when he floated up too high after the puck came out of the corner? Yeah probably. There are plenty of examples of Risto not defending well.  This one was a total breakdown and, he did have Bratt's stick tied up.  Picking this example is like saying, here's a 3 on 1 on one and that piece of crap Risto didn't stop it.

I read the first 3 words.  Risto is great.  Give him a 40 year contract. 

15 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

IMO, he needed to play the body more, not less, and prevent Bratt from getting to that spot at all.

Sure, that could have worked.  I think the point here was that he played the body, yet he was ineffective.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, inkman said:

I read the first 3 words.  Risto is great.  Give him a 40 year contract. 

18 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

No you're right, he's the worst. Trade him for a 7th in 2028.

For the record, only first deal would land us in hot water haha

19 minutes ago, Thorny said:

For the record, only first deal would land us in hot water haha

I like Risto.  I like his offensive abilities and his physical play.  I’m still not sure that translates into a good hockey player.  Can he be a good hockey player?  Maybe.  Not sure I want the Sabres to be the guinea pigs.  

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

I like Risto.  I like his offensive abilities and his physical play.  I’m still not sure that translates into a good hockey player.  Can he be a good hockey player?  Maybe.  Not sure I want the Sabres to be the guinea pigs.  

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.