No way this team is the worst in the league

SDS

Impossible to know what this team is. Between a garbage coach, inexperienced GM, injuries to the top players, only playing against the 6 same teams all season and a Covid shut down.....no one knows what the hell the Sabres are. They have been more competitive the past 5 games, but are still 2-7 since Don took over. Next season should tell us a lot more. 

1 hour ago, carpandean said:

Not "not the worst" because they haven't done something that only eight teams will do?

Under Krueger, they were worst by a big margin.  It wasn't even close.  Now, they're still not a good team, but I would actually bet on them in a series against NJ, Detroit, Anaheim or Ottawa.  That's all it takes to be "not the worst."

Really, the thing I care most about is that they're fun to watch.  I remember an Islanders team several years back where they were mostly "kids" and lost a lot, but were always fun to watch.  I'd be happy with that for the rest of the season.

I appreciate that you actually took the time to read what I was saying. 🍻 

I don’t think anyone is expecting a run to the playoffs😀  It’s just nice to be able to tune in and watch your team play and see some positive things again.  Having Ullmark back has made a big difference. Seeing the likes of Dahlin, Joker, Mitts, Tage, Bryson making positive progress is nice.

I still have no idea what is up with Hall. He can’t receive a simple pass to save his life.

14 hours ago, SDS said:

You could say that was the case when Ralph was coach. Clearly, since his firing, it has been shown him and Steve Smith were responsible for more badness then was appreciated as the season progressed. 

This team literally plays better every game. All without Eichel, McCabe or Dylan.

it sucks they went through what they did. I’m glad it’s over and we can finally find out what we have.

Reminds me of a late 2003-04 season, but worse.

Sabres were 12-18-2-1, then pulled to 28-26-6-1, faltered a little bit, then went on a 10-4-1-3 tear to finish 37-34-7-4, one spot out of the playoffs.  That season was transformative for the organization and gave us momentum to launch into the rule-change-era with high confidence.

This season's lows were much lower and the adversity was much tougher.  Whichever players survive this year's mess into a Blue ang Gold sweater next season will surely be battle-hardened.  We won't get the benefit of a rule change, but we will get the benefit of a coaching change and there's little doubt that we will be a better team and organization for the struggle.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

With a healthy Jack, and with RK being gone, yes they aren't the worst team in the league, but as they are currently assembled, this is not a playoff team, or one that can even sniff the playoffs.

No kidding. They are all but mathimatically eliminated right now. But if Granato can get them playing above .500 hockey with a roster half made up of Amerks?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No kidding. They are all but mathimatically eliminated right now. But if Granato can get them playing above .500 hockey with a roster half made up of Amerks?

I meant if you bring back this same team in the fall, they will not sniff the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/3/2021 at 9:57 PM, SDS said:

You could say that was the case when Ralph was coach. Clearly, since his firing, it has been shown him and Steve Smith were responsible for more badness then was appreciated as the season progressed. 

This team literally plays better every game. All without Eichel, McCabe or Dylan.

it sucks they went through what they did. I’m glad it’s over and we can finally find out what we have.

Every time I see the name Steve Smith, I try not to confuse him with the Canadian comic actor. Besides, the "coach" clearly couldn't fix the Sabres' woes with duct tape.

But, yes. I'm glad to hear that things have started to improve. Getting rid of General Panzer should have happened a long time ago.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.