No way this team is the worst in the league

SDS

You could say that was the case when Ralph was coach. Clearly, since his firing, it has been shown him and Steve Smith were responsible for more badness then was appreciated as the season progressed. 

This team literally plays better every game. All without Eichel, McCabe or Dylan.

it sucks they went through what they did. I’m glad it’s over and we can finally find out what we have.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thanks (+1) 1

It's interesting how closely Ullmark's return synced up with Ralph's departure. At first I was wondering what was the one causing the most difference but I really think it's both. No doubt a capable G back there helps them out in a big way, on the ice and mentally, but the way they are playing has looked so differently lately we have to chalk a lot up to Krueger. 

Adams should bear in mind, though, that we are one injury away from nothingness behind Ullmark, good game from Toker notwithstanding, and it can't be a set-up we find ourselves under next season. 

I hope we get Eichel back for some games at some point here 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

The higher pace in practice has shown up in bits and spurts during games, but I think tonight they played as complete a game as we've seen start to finish all season.

You play how you practice.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's interesting how closely Ullmark's return synced up with Ralph's departure. At first I was wondering what was the one causing the most difference but I really think it's both. No doubt a capable G back there helps them out in a big way, on the ice and mentally, but the way they are playing has looked so differently lately we have to chalk a lot up to Krueger. 

Adams should bear in mind, though, that we are one injury away from nothingness behind Ullmark, good game from Toker notwithstanding, and it can't be a set-up we find ourselves under next season. 

I hope we get Eichel back for some games at some point here 

The number of cringe worthy mistakes has been reduced by what? 75%? Speed of play has been doubled? Compete tripled? Throw away players are now NHLers by the eye test?

This was good, hard fought game against a good team and a great player in Panarin. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

You definitely play how you practice.  No doubt the removal of Ralph and Smith are key to this improvement.  There was no excuse for the hiring of RK.  None.  Whoever picked him (Bots, Terry/Kim) should take this as a lesson to never select another coach. 

I like seeing Tage, Mitts and Bryson all developing.  It’s like they are unchained.  Tonight’s game was enjoyable.  

• Like (+1) 7

I still don't know how good Casey Mittelstadt and Tage Thompson will be. They are both so raw.

But they are also legitimately skilled. We're seeing each of them make plays.

I absolutely love how Donnie has been throwing them out there in key situations, and it's been nice watching them respond.

Dahlin has calmed and is also showing his skill, and Jokiharju is looking like himself again.

I'm seeing the Rasmus Asplund I liked so much in Rochester.

Granato seems to be making a difference with the players that matter most.

And having a legitimate top-15 NHL starter makes everyone around him better.

(Sign Linus!)

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

If we aren't the worst team in the league, who is?

The team has played better with the new coaching, and it is improving in small increments every game, but try to keep things in perspective here.

A shootout win against the NYR is not a playoff series victory.

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I absolutely love how Donnie has been throwing them out there in key situations,

With the injury list he really doesn't have much choice.  Putting Olofsson on the line with Reino, even trying to balance that with Okposso, means that Reino's line is a defensive question mark.  Right now the Mitts line is our best line for offense and defense.  Yes, even with Hall on it.

This is a case of winning with the team you've got.  RFK didn't get it.  Granato does.

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

Detroit is pretty awful this year.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

The team has played better with the new coaching, and it is improving in small increments every game, but try to keep things in perspective here.

You must admit the Sabres looked like the better hockey team tonight against a good NYR team. Really in sync through most of the game. Its almost like a light bulb got switched on in their heads.

They skate now like a team thats not looking back.  

• Like (+1) 1

They are playing like they should have been playing all season.  RK simply refused to loosen the reigns and allow his skill players to be skill players.  Honestly I don’t know what Hall ever saw in him.  

These last 4 games show what decent coaching and good goaltending mean.

• Like (+1) 1

The over reactions here remind me of the 10-0 start (a bandwagon I also jumped on to). Maybe get a little excited if we blow past New Jersey every game but talk to me after we see how many of those 7 games we win against Boston. I'm not convinced this is more than a blip. 

A few players have surprised me though. Like Mitts. Let's see if it's going to be sustainable. At the moment my greatest fear might be coming true. A modicum of success after firing Kreuger leading to a stay the course mentality and thus another bust season next year. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The over reactions here remind me of the 10-0 start (a bandwagon I also jumped on to). Maybe get a little excited if we blow past New Jersey every game but talk to me after we see how many of those 7 games we win against Boston. I'm not convinced this is more than a blip. 

A few players have surprised me though. Like Mitts. Let's see if it's going to be sustainable. At the moment my greatest fear might be coming true. A modicum of success after firing Kreuger leading to a stay the course mentality and thus another bust season next year. 

Lets see If its going to be sustainable...

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Figster said:

You must admit the Sabres looked like the better hockey team tonight against a good NYR team.

The Rangers are not a good team. They are currently 20th overall.

And this 20th overall team outshot the Sabres by 36-10 in the last two periods of Thursday's game, which shows the level of suckitude that the Sabres currently have.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Weave said:

This fanbase is so bipolar.  Its gonna take more than a few games to see what we really have.

I think dudacek had it right wherever he posted it that we now look like a 70 point team. We still suck and Adams *has* to see that and make significant changes - it’s just that when you are historically bad and potentially make the jump to “usual bad” there’s a happy whiplash of positivity. Even a switch to this level of aptitude is refreshing. It’s natural with a starved fan base that truly deserves so much more. Doesn’t surprise me we see a little extra, a little too much positivity flow after a win or two when the ones posting here in the midst of such a bad team are obviously the die hards - eternally on the lookout for hope  

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

This fanbase is so bipolar.  Its gonna take more than a few games to see what we really have.

Ron went 15-11-5 with several winning streaks. Not to go all @Randall Flagg here but the only value in what happens the rest of the way is to "see what works." Thank you for your service, Don.

9 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Not "not the worst" because they haven't done something that only eight teams will do?

Under Krueger, they were worst by a big margin.  It wasn't even close.  Now, they're still not a good team, but I would actually bet on them in a series against NJ, Detroit, Anaheim or Ottawa.  That's all it takes to be "not the worst."

Really, the thing I care most about is that they're fun to watch.  I remember an Islanders team several years back where they were mostly "kids" and lost a lot, but were always fun to watch.  I'd be happy with that for the rest of the season.

• Like (+1) 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.