DBTB: Trade deadline proposals

Srw1525

11 minutes ago, Srw1525 said:

I think the title of this thread is awful. 

That said, there is no way in hell the analytics team in Carolina is trading so much as a used puck for Rasmus Ristolainen. Will not happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

Trade: Buffalo trades Jack Quinn to Arizona for Conor Garland

There’s not much to say to this trade other than this will probably be the last go around of us trying to keep Jack Eichel before we have to move him. Push the chips to the center of the table and sell Quinn for a great 5v5 offensive talent in Garland.

Gives us a very good offensive winger to put into the top-6 immediately. Given the progression of Peterka and the 2021 drafting of Robertsson it makes Quinn expendable.

Peterka shoots left not right so there's that. 

Simon Robertsson isn't even remotely the type of player that Quinn is. They play a completely different style and that still would leave us with only 1 rw in the system. Calling Quinn expendable is... strange. I do like Conor Garland but not that much. 

What do I think, I think whoever wrote this article A. Doesn't know jack ***** about Carolina or how they operate and B. has recency bias because Quinn isn't blowing out the AHL. 

Edited by LGR4GM

*As @LGR4GM said, you should change the thread title to something more descriptive.

-Montour needs to be traded at the deadline.

-I highly doubt that Carolina would want Risto, but he should be traded this offseason.

-I also support trading Olofsson, but I’m not so keen on acquiring Johnny Hockey.

-I feel a little split on the Quinn-Garland trade.  Would love to acquire Garland though.  How about a Olofsson-Garland trade instead?

-I like the draft picks a lot.

Overall, it’s not bad.  A good conversation piece.

Edited by Curt

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Yea the title is clickbait and lame. Journalism Clickbait title creation 101. 😂

That's ridiculous. It's just a bad title.

38 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

No interest in trading for Gaudreau and trading away Jack Quinn. 

Would rather not trade Risto inside the conference.

Because Risto would some day come back to haunt us?!

52 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

No interest in trading for Gaudreau and trading away Jack Quinn. 

Would rather not trade Risto inside the conference.

Any trade that makes the team better must be considered. 

This includes the 5.4 Million in Cap Space that would come Seattle selecting him in the expansion draft

• Srw1525 locked and unlocked this topic
3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think the title of this thread is awful. 

That said, there is no way in hell the analytics team in Carolina is trading so much as a used puck for Rasmus Ristolainen. Will not happen. 

Yea I realize that after I published it. My bad. Not sure how I can change the title of the thread?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Any trade that makes the team better must be considered. 

This includes the 5.4 Million in Cap Space that would come Seattle selecting him in the expansion draft

Not sure how letting Risto get taken in the expansion draft actually improves us. He’s covered in warts but is our only physical dman who also has offensive skills and can technically eat minutes.

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Peterka shoots left not right so there's that. 

Simon Robertsson isn't even remotely the type of player that Quinn is. They play a completely different style and that still would leave us with only 1 rw in the system. Calling Quinn expendable is... strange. I do like Conor Garland but not that much. 

What do I think, I think whoever wrote this article A. Doesn't know jack ***** about Carolina or how they operate and B. has recency bias because Quinn isn't blowing out the AHL. 

Not taking issue with anything here but I do know Peterka has played a lot of RW. listed as a RW when we drafted him actually. I'm sure he can play either wing 

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Not sure how letting Risto get taken in the expansion draft actually improves us. He’s covered in warts but is our only physical dman who also has offensive skills and can technically eat minutes.

Simple they can use the cap space to acquire a good player or two.

He doesn’t drive offense and it doesn’t matter how many minutes he plays he as those aren’t very good. He looked great with McCabe, but post Covid he back to his old metrics 

Risto will be a case study in future for generations to learn from. The Sabres allowed a flawed asset to depreciate to the point where it’s value is minimal.

An MVP Level Taylor Hall and Ehlers are at least two players that they passed up on by not moving him.

I hope they do not the same with Jokiharju or Dahlin if they do not progress. 

Wil Borgen who actually will fight is also a physical defenseman. 

Against The Flyers when Skinner was drawing some after the whistle activity, three of the other Sabres on the ice in the Philadelphia Zone joined the scrum. The only one who didn’t was Risto. So what good is His Physicality if he doesn’t use it in that situation?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

An MVP Level Taylor Hall and Ehlers are at least two players that they passed up on by not moving him.

I hope they do not the same with Jokiharju or Dahlin if they do not progress. 

Wil Borgen who actually will fight is also a physical defenseman. 

Against The Flyers when Skinner was drawing some after the whistle activity, three of the other Sabres on the ice in the Philadelphia Zone joined the scrum. The only one who didn’t was Risto. So what good is His Physicality if he doesn’t use it in that situation?  

I was somewhat ok with passing on Taylor Hall as at the time Risto was literally our only "good" defenseman. I would of however taken the Ehlers deal easily.

Jokiharju perhaps if he plateaus but Dahlin would likely be worth going down with the ship. If past events in the NHL has ever showed anything, it would be that dmen take time and that even as they reach their mid 20's they can still take off. I'm not trading Dahlin only to watch him blow up at 26 years of age because I didn't want to be left holding a bag.

Borgen is a rookie, it isn't exactly a great look when all your physicality comes from rookies and 2nd year guys.

As for the last part, Dmen are told to not get involved as it will move the faceoff outside the zone if they do.

45 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I was somewhat ok with passing on Taylor Hall as at the time Risto was literally our only "good" defenseman. I would of however taken the Ehlers deal easily.

Jokiharju perhaps if he plateaus but Dahlin would likely be worth going down with the ship. If past events in the NHL has ever showed anything, it would be that dmen take time and that even as they reach their mid 20's they can still take off. I'm not trading Dahlin only to watch him blow up at 26 years of age because I didn't want to be left holding a bag.

Borgen is a rookie, it isn't exactly a great look when all your physicality comes from rookies and 2nd year guys.

As for the last part, Dmen are told to not get involved as it will move the faceoff outside the zone if they do.

Not trading a player who is the best of the worst for an elite winger is horrible asset management. 

I expect Dahlin to declare what type of player he is in the next season or two. I have zero desire to trade him, but if there isn’t improvement I would be curious about what offers are out there.

Actually what isn’t a great look is a ten year playoff drought and an 18 game losing streak.

Someone should have told 5’9” Jacob Bryson who was one of the first players into the scrum and the officials who kept the ensuing face off in the Philadelphia Zone.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Not trading a player who is the best of the worst for an elite winger is horrible asset management. 

I expect Dahlin to declare what type of player he is in the next season or two. I have zero desire to trade him, but if there isn’t improvement I would be curious about what offers are out there.

Actually what isn’t a great look is a ten year playoff drought and an 18 game losing streak.

Someone should have told 5’9” Jacob Bryson who was one of the first players into the scrum and the officials who kept the ensuing face off in the Philadelphia Zone.

Trading Risto in 2016 would of meant we had to have made judgement on his entire career after 2.5 seasons on a pair of tanking teams. Defensemen > Wingers in importance. That would of been borderline insane to trade our best young dman, with little in the system to replace him, for a great winger.

They must of missed him, or perhaps he was already down low upon the save. The defenseman from the point can't go down low but one already down low doesn't have to leave.

• nfreeman changed the title to DBTB: Trade deadline proposals
1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Trading Risto in 2016 would of meant we had to have made judgement on his entire career after 2.5 seasons on a pair of tanking teams. Defensemen > Wingers in importance. That would of been borderline insane to trade our best young dman, with little in the system to replace him, for a great winger.

They must of missed him, or perhaps he was already down low upon the save. The defenseman from the point can't go down low but one already down low doesn't have to leave.

This type of thinking keeps teams in the bottom of the league. 

Hall was considered an elite winger at the time of the trade, there were warning signs about Risto. 
This wasn’t moving Hedman, Karlsson or even Dahlin for a winger. 

What’s borderline insane is the fact that two GMs passed on making deals to improve the team.

And the conversations on Hall would have taken place before the draft as the trade happened a week later. 

Therefore a defenseman would have been higher draft priority. 

Drafting Sergachev or McAvoy instead of Nylander is an instantaneous improvement over Risto. 

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

This type of thinking keeps teams in the bottom of the league. 

Hall was considered an elite winger at the time of the trade, there were warning signs about Risto. 
This wasn’t moving Hedman, Karlsson or even Dahlin for a winger. 

What’s borderline insane is the fact that two GMs passed on making deals to improve the team.

And the conversations on Hall would have taken place before the draft as the trade happened a week later. 

Therefore a defenseman would have been higher draft priority. 

Drafting Sergachev or McAvoy instead of Nylander is an instantaneous improvement over Risto. 

GMTM wouldn't of done that. Based on how the draft board broke down there however I would of drafted Sergachev and likely traded Risto in that case.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.