Taylor Hall sitting -- possible trade incoming

Sabre fan

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes it does hence why I love how you have turned this around and are attacking me for defending Kim Pegula. 

We went from "referring to kim as a waitress is a dog whistle" to "hey liger why aren't you more supportive of old people?"

You should hire him to run your campaign for ??? Dogcatcher...

4 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

Eakin screams buyout to me this offseason.  Him being terrible, plus decent cap savings in year 1.  The year 2 penalty is less than a million (and the cap should go up in 2022.  You also save like 800K in cash.

There is no reason he should be on the team next year imo.

Yes!

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We could waive Eakin and send him to Rochester

Or we could waive him and hope the hockey minds in Arizona exact the old "The Waivers Strike Back" revenge move...  and claim him and his 2.5M salary to improve their PK and get "more veterans" for their team. That'd be nice.

From Scott Burnside of the Athletic today:

The whole valuation of Taylor Hallis going to be one of the stories of the deadline and the fact he’s been pulled from the Sabres lineup as of Tuesday suggests GM Kevyn Adams is fielding at least a few calls. But your point is a good one. Two goals (and 19 points) in 37 games hardly speaks to good value for a guy making $8 million. The debate is whether this is all due to circumstance, or has there been a dramatic decline in Hall’s ability to drive play? A scout I spoke to has been down on Hall since his arrival in Arizona. So, what’s his value assuming Buffalo eats half of that salary? No way he commands a first-round pick, in my books. If I’m a GM I’m holding out and offering no better than a third-round pick. But what if Toronto, the Islanders, Boston, and just for fun, Carolina are interested? Does that change the dynamic on his value. Sure it does. But the fact still remains he’s a shadow of the player he once was and it will be buyer beware.

• Thanks (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Your opinion is not supported by facts.

https://www.ncemploymentattorneys.com/news/reverse-discrimination-lawsuits-are-concerning/

And I could pull up dozens more. The "fact" is, the numbers of discrimination cases, both filed as well as successfully litigated and proven, is on the rise substantially. Even American Science was forced to concede this to be beyond anticdotal at this time in history. 

I don’t doubt this. Everyone has a damn problem with someone. I guess in a diverse society, everyone gets picked on. Not that it’s right. And as more women and minorities enter positions of power more white men might get discriminated against as—we hope—the total level of discrimination in society as a whole declines. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Questions for the business-heads out there: Lebrun says the Islanders getting Palmieri hurts the Sabres by removing a suitor. Why?

Wouldn't that only be the case if there were only two teams interested in Hall, and one was the Islanders, meaning the Sabres are left to deal with only one prospective buyer?

I think it's pretty clear Palmieri was the only player out there anywhere near Hall's class in terms of rental forwards. If there are two or more teams still chasing a top-six rental forward, wouldn't the Palmieri deal help the Sabres because now they have cornered the market on supply?

You are overthinking the Hall trade value. He's not playing as if he is a top six forward even considering the added challenges factored in playing for the Sabres. If he converted more of his many glaring chances there would be more bidding for him. His inability to finish and burnish his stats have diminished his value. If we can get a second round pick for this UFA I would be ecstatic. I'm not sure we will even get that. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I understand, was just curious to your take on the teams being named out in hockey analyst land is all.

Now, about that bridge, I am interested, need to replace an out dated one on the river here, is shipping free?

The list is logical.  Who doesn’t need a top 6 winger?  I think Toronto is a fit, but not Colorado.  I think NYI are doubtful.  Fla may be the best bet.  

35 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are overthinking the Hall trade value. He's not playing as if he is a top six forward even considering the added challenges factored in playing for the Sabres. If he converted more of his many glaring chances there would be more bidding for him. His inability to finish and burnish his stats have diminished his value. If we can get a second round pick for this UFA I would be ecstatic. I'm not sure we will even get that. 

I don't think I'm overthinking it at all, and I've already posted I think Hall's value is a high second. Getting less than a 2nd would be a huge surprise to me. 40-point wingers go for 2nd-rounders all the time.

Hall has 19 points to Palmieri's 17, as well as better analytics, a higher skill level, and a better track record.

If you want to add to your top six, who else is available? Mike Hoffman isn't as good as Hall. Neither is Ryan Dzingel or Markus Granlund or Nick Foligno.

Athanasiou went for two seconds last year. Pageau for a 1st and 2nd. Zucker for a 1st. Toffoli went for a 2nd, a 4th and a prospect. People got 2nds for Andy Green, Brendan Dillon and Marco Scandella and 3rds for Patrick Marleau and Ilya Kovalchuk

The corpse of Eric ***** Staal went for a 3rd and a 5th this year.

Hall is putting up numbers about 75 percent of last year when he got a 1st, a 3rd and two B prospects.

We will have to eat salary, but we are getting more than a 3rd-round pick for Taylor Hall.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't think I'm overthinking it at all, and I've already posted I think Hall's value is a high second. Getting less than a 2nd would be a huge surprise to me. 40-point wingers go for 2nd-rounders all the time.

Hall has 19 points to Palmieri's 17, as well as better analytics, a higher skill level, and a better track record.

If you want to add to your top six, who else is available? Mike Hoffman isn't as good as Hall. Neither is Ryan Dzingel or Markus Granlund or Nick Foligno.

Athanasiou went for two seconds last year. Pageau for a 1st and 2nd. Zucker for a 1st. Toffoli went for a 2nd, a 4th and a prospect. People got 2nds for Andy Green, Brendan Dillon and Marco Scandella and 3rds for Patrick Marleau and Ilya Kovalchuk

Hall is putting up numbers about 75 percent of last year when he got a 1st, a 3rd and two B prospects.

We will have to eat salary, but we are getting more than a 3rd-round pick for Taylor Hall.

You've now set the bar

4 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I don’t doubt this. Everyone has a damn problem with someone. I guess in a diverse society, everyone gets picked on. Not that it’s right. And as more women and minorities enter positions of power more white men might get discriminated against as—we hope—the total level of discrimination in society as a whole declines. 

What the data tells me is that we are not doing well raising future generations acceptance. And, in a society such as ours, where "division" is broadcast to the masses daily, hourly, by the minute, is it any surprise?

True change starts from the indivual.

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, dudacek said:

The cost calculation goes beyond more than his talent and production compared to other players. Because he is an UFA he is a probable rental unless the team interested in him can determine if he has a desire to work out a reasonable deal in his next contract. If the Sabres get a second round pick or more for him I will be happy. 

The shame of the Hall acquisition is that if this organization wasn't so dysfunctional his one year deal with us could have made sense. Just like so many other players on this roster under Krueger his talents were squandered. That's what happens when your philosophy is to serve the system as if it is a religious tenet instead of putting the player in a position to succeed. And as soon as a coaching replacement most of the players on the roster seemed to be revitalized. 

I'm far from being a Hall basher. He got caught up in the vortex of organizational incompetence and the result was that he and the team were diminished. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The shame of the Hall acquisition is that if this organization wasn't so dysfunctional his one year deal with us could have made sense. Just like so many other players on this roster under Krueger his talents were squandered. That's what happens when your philosophy is to serve the system as if it is a religious tenet instead of putting the player in a position to succeed. And as soon as a coaching replacement most of the players on the roster seemed to be revitalized. 

I'm far from being a Hall basher. He got caught up in the vortex of organizational incompetence and the result was that he and the team were diminished. 

Just think if HCRK had not been in charge to start the season, or rather, if Granato had been given more control of the offensive attack to maximize the potential of the roster that had been assembled (assorted non-gritty skill guys and overwhelmingly "puck-moving" vs. stay-at-home/defensive defensemen). We could still very well be out of the playoffs and selling at the deadline because the quality of the division and injuries. But Hall and Staal would have had high-end trade value with "normal" seasons.

Granato's team is averaging 2.75 goals/game in 12 games -- mostly without Cozens, often without Hall, and completely without Eichel. No PP support whatsoever.

RK's team averaged 2.14 goals/game in 28 games -- and had one of the league's top-rated PPs for half of it, and Cozens/Hall, and even sometimes a functional Eichel.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The cost calculation goes beyond more than his talent and production compared to other players. Because he is an UFA he is a probable rental unless the team interested in him can determine if he has a desire to work out a reasonable deal in his next contract. If the Sabres get a second round pick or more for him I will be happy. 

Every single player I cited was also a pending UFA.

I wouldn't say I'd be "happy" with a second, but I would be OK with it. It's on the low end of the going rate.

As for the rest of your post, I would hope what the other skill players are doing in the wake of Ralph's firing nudges a few cautious GMs in the right direction.

Edited by dudacek