Taylor Hall sitting -- possible trade incoming

Sabre fan

I would suspect our best deal would be a conditional one. You know, like we get a second and some prospect but it ups to a first if they go several rounds in the playoffs or he gets X number of points or some such thing. With his play this year I'm not sure anybody's going to gamble on him for a first. and we have to retain salary of course. 

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Well technically the Sabres now are the primary target of multiple teams. Retain 50% and you should at least get a 1st thanks to the Devils trade.

That’s the hope.  I think things may move quickly now.

1 minute ago, JohninMinn. said:

Looking forward to draft picks is a cottage industry in Buffalo. Not only that but most don't  ever work out. It's  obvious Hall just needs a good coach.

What’s your point?  That it’s all useless anyway?  Gee thanks.

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

What’s your point?  That it’s all useless anyway?  Gee thanks.

He’s saying Hall could’ve been good with a better coach than RK, and if the Sabres plan on hiring a good coach, Hall could still be good here. Trading Hall for a pick while the team has been awful at drafting is a bad choice. 

Come on, man, you’re a better poster than this. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

He’s saying Hall could’ve been good with a better coach than RK, and if the Sabres plan on hiring a good coach, Hall could still be good here. Trading Hall for a pick while the team has been awful at drafting is a bad choice. 

Come on, man, you’re a better poster than this. 

Its not obvious to me that Hall just needs a better coach.  I don’t want him back on this team.

If Hall doesn’t want to be traded, he doesn’t need to be.  It’s up to him.  He has a NMC.  Hall is a UFA.  If he wants to come back and Sabres want him back, they can sign him then, after they get deadline assets for him.  Not trading Hall makes absolutely no sense.

If Hall doesn’t want to go make a run at the cup with a good team, I think it says a lot about his priorities and I want him even less.

I’ll just add, teams don’t UFA buy their way out of being bad.  It doesn’t work.  I think we have seen this play out before.

Whatever drafting the team has done in the past, that’s over now, they fired everyone.  If Buffalo drafts terribly, none of this other stuff matters much.  It’s a requirement to building a good team (unless several truly brilliant trades are pulled off).  If that’s not fixed, it’s not going to happen for them.

Once again, the suggestion that they shouldn’t trade Hall makes absolutely no sense.  Just sit on our hands and think a new coach will fix everything?  Naive.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

From the Athletic   https://theathletic.com/2506212/2021/04/08/16-stats-should-nashville-trade-ekholm-taylor-halls-value-and-jack-campbell/?redirected=1

2. With all due respect to my former colleague and good friend Ken Campbell from The Hockey News, there are not 15 players who will provide more value than Hall at the deadline. He is right to be skeptical given Hall hasn’t performed up to his usual standards this season and has seen his projected value tank as a result (I’ve never seen a more dramatic cliff on my projected player value charts), but deep down a great player remains. 

We can’t talk about Hall without noting his insanely poor finishing ability this season. That’s usually a weak spot of his game, but it’s sunk to new heights this season with just two goals on almost 10 expected goals in all situations. He’s shooting just 2.3 percent this year and no matter how sour you are on him, that’s just not a reasonable expectation for someone who’s usually closer to 10 percent. Playing on an absolutely cursed Buffalo team obviously doesn’t help.

Aside from the lack of goals, Hall is still contributing and that should be evident to anyone who’s braved a Sabres game this season. He still has the sauce despite the dreary surroundings and his best asset, his play-making ability, remains. It hasn’t manifested into as many assists as it should because of the tire fire around him, but Hall comfortably leads all forwards in high danger assists according to data tracked by Corey Sznajder, nearly 0.9 more per 60 than Connor McDavid. 

That helps explain why Hall leads the Sabres in expected goals created by a wide margin – he’s just had some bad luck in getting those chances in the net. Relative to teammates, Buffalo earns 0.45 more expected goals per 60 with Hall on the ice, a mark that ranks 16th in the league among forwards. He may not be the elite player he once was or even a first-line talent. But in the right situation, he can thrive, be a valuable asset, and a real difference-maker.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/top-five-trade-destinations-for-taylor-hall

SI's top choices : Car, Edm, Fla, Mon, NYI (doubtful now), plus Bos, Col, Tor

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/five-potential-trade-destinations-sabres-taylor-hall/

Sportsnet.ca top choices: Tor, Bos, Fla & NYI (again doubtful)

I have to say, I thought the trade would have been announced by now, and I'm really surprised it hasn't been.

I'm surprised they sat him, apparently without a pending deal waiting to happen.

Get 'er done Adams!  And get 'er done soon! 

I'd still like to see Hall for Batherson straight up. I think it would be a steal for us, but I guess you never know how any individual will perform in any given market. Hall would probably nix the deal though. He probably doesn't want to go to Ottawa.

Edited by Kong

6 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I have to say, I thought the trade would have been announced by now, and I'm really surprised it hasn't been.

I'm surprised they sat him, apparently without a pending deal waiting to happen.

Get 'er done Adams!  And get 'er done soon! 

Florida clearing cap with a deal with Chicago. Possibilities, no?

1 minute ago, Kong said:

I'd still like to see Hall for Batherson straight up. I think it would be a steal for us, but I guess you never know how any individual will perform in any given market. Hall would probably nix the deal though. He probably doesn't want to go to Ottawa.

Why would a team 13 points out of the playoffs and last in their division trade for the big name UFA at the deadline? Am I missing something?

Just now, Trettioåtta said:

Why would a team 13 points out of the playoffs and last in their division trade for the big name UFA at the deadline? Am I missing something?

It's just a wish. Don't over think this. The Sabres traded for several players at the last deadline...