Quick Rick Videopix

PASabreFan

This one's a beauty from the Aud on Christmas Eve Eve 1990. The Sabres were off to a slow start that season and needed something. They got it in a rough and tumble rout of the Nordiques. Here, Mike Ramsey scores the final goal late in the third. For @SDS, Rob Ray took a double minor for roughing very early in the game, and it clearly spurred to the Sabres on to double digit goals. Footnote: on the Quebec roster were an almost-retired Guy Lafleur, and Owen Nolan, Mats Sundin and Joe Sakic.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

18 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Quick... and down and dirty. The production value of these won't be spectacular. I'll mostly record them off old audio cassettes (some of which are over 40 years old!) on my phone, then play the audio on my computer while I video a still pic (the shakiness will be a creative choice). Then upload to YT.

I posted the first videopic in a recent thread — Rick's call of a weird Andreychuk goal where he was sitting on the bench when his center ice shot finally made its way over the goal line. I'll repeat it here before posting my next offering.

These will be on the more random and obscure side and will take us back mainly to the Jeanneret of the 80s and early 90s. There will be some great moments as well; maybe you've forgotten the calls or never heard them. I'll throw in the occasional Ted Darling, because it feels like his voice is being lost to time. Jim Lorentz, even, who was forced into play by play for a few games.

Good work!

• Thanks (+1) 1

This one seems to star referee Wally Harris, but it's more about the mood at the Aud created by the crowd, organist and public address announcer. 2021 game presentation could learn a lot. (I'll have a goal "song" and subsequent celebration from this game soon; suck it, LMCMT.)

So it's late in the 1982-1983 season, March 27, 1983, to be exact, and Quebec's in town. The Sabres are a few years into Bowman's regime and having a nice season on their way to a thrilling playoff year. It's late in the third, and the Sabres are trailing by a goal and have been fighting to come back all night long.

FTR, Harris called 19 minors, four fighting majors and one misconduct in this game. Rick throws some serious shade on Harris, who apparently had the reputation of not calling a lot. I'd love to hear memories of Harris. I feel like I should dislike the guy for some reason, or maybe I'm thinking of Bruce Hood.

Edited by PASabreFan

Another Mike Ramsey goal! He scored a lot! This is from the Wally Harris game above, against Quebec. The Sabres didn't score on the power play following Harris' call; in fact they fell behind 6-4 before this Ramsey goal. What you'll hear is the Sabres' home goal celebration in 1983. The organ burst functioned as a horn, which sounds really cool in retrospect. Then a jazzy version of Sabre Dance, a thumping beat and... Talking Proud, of course! Right on cue, at the ensuing faceoff, Uncle Miltie announced the goal, exquisite timing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.