Nikita Gusev, rw: on waivers

LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

He has done absolutely nothing and costs 4.5M on an expiring contract.  Are we planning on re-signing Mr. Gusev?  Are we expecting Mr. Gusev to take a pay cut?  Do we not think Mr. Gusev could return to the KHL given that scenario?

Who knows, but he clearly needs a change of scenery and Buffalo is a wide open opportunity.  Play well and he'll earn a solid new deal here or somewhere else.  He put up 40+ last season for a mediocre NJD last season.  He and many others (Hall, Staal, Debrusk etc) are struggling this season. Other then Reinhart, what RWs do we have that have his scoring potential? Other then some cap, no risk in adding him.  I'm sure we can make this work with some creative accounting.

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

Don't get why some of you want to snap up garbage rejects from other teams. We have enough of that on this roster already.

Can we waive Skinner? 

Well he showed 60+ one year ago and had covid and an injury this year so... because he's better than this year

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Don't get why some of you want to snap up garbage rejects from other teams. We have enough of that on this roster already.

Can we waive Skinner? 

If we trade the players we should trade at the TDL, we are down a significant number of bodies. If you can grab a guy that scored 45 points last year to finish out the year with, why not do that to try and give these guys a better chance to win, rather than plugging in a worse player that could be ruined by being in so far over his head, like a Quinn? 

Saw Ruff’s response to the waiver.  Seems to me there are red flags waving in the wind re: Gusev.  I don’t know what the deal is, but Lindy sure doesn’t seem to care if he isn’t around.  That’s enough for me to lose interest.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

Saw Ruff’s response to the waiver.  Seems to me there are red flags waving in the wind re: Gusev.  I don’t know what the deal is, but Lindy sure doesn’t seem to care if he isn’t around.  That’s enough for me to lose interest.

That's fair, but this isn't exactly a long-term commitment.  His contract expires at year's end.  If he doesn't work out, he doesn't work out.  This isn't Ghost with another 2 year commitment.

Given our lack of RWs, we should look at every RW that becomes available.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That's fair, but this isn't exactly a long-term commitment.  His contract expires at year's end.  If he doesn't work out, he doesn't work out.  This isn't Ghost with another 2 year commitment.

Given our lack of RWs, we should look at every RW that becomes available.  

The counterpoint is I think we all want to follow the Bills' path of not only the right players, but the right people.

If only we had a scouting department to do some intel!

• Like (+1) 2

If there weren’t red flags a player with that much talent wouldn’t be on waivers. It’s the only reason teams have a shot at him for free 

This definitely screams move Sabres wouldn’t make though 

Edited by Thorny

If you told me a couple years ago that the Sabres would be in dead last and have a chance to grab Shayne Gostisbehere and Nikitia Gusev on the waiver-wire, I would have told you that you're crazy. (Well, I might have believed the "Sabres being in dead last" part, but not the other part.)

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

The counterpoint is I think we all want to follow the Bills' path of not only the right players, but the right people.

If only we had a scouting department to do some intel!

"Effective, efficient, economic."

Kind Regards,

Terry Pegula

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Yup.  For all his faults, Lindy always appeared to me to be a good judge of players to trust on his team.  This guy may be the right talent, but if he's the wrong person I don't want him near Tank gen2 kids.

6 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

If we trade the players we should trade at the TDL, we are down a significant number of bodies. If you can grab a guy that scored 45 points last year to finish out the year with, why not do that to try and give these guys a better chance to win, rather than plugging in a worse player that could be ruined by being in so far over his head, like a Quinn? 

I'd rather play players like Fogerty. No added question marks or iffy types. Just character guys and the kids. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Weave said:

True.  We need a better culture tight?   This guy isn’t it.  Buffalo is the perfect place for him to slack and collect NHL money.

I rather play someone from Rochester if we need a body. 

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

We will need bodies if we are moving a bunch of UFA's.  I just question this particular body given how his time in NJD has gone south.

I’m not really sold on him personally either.  He seems a little red flaggy.  Stayed in Russia extra long, was traded by Tampa then by Vegas because he wanted more money than they would offer, now he falls out of favor with Lindy in NJ.  I don’t know him, but seems red flaggy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.