Risers and Fallers of the 2020 draft

LGR4GM

https://theathletic.com/2464710/2021/04/01/risers-fallers-2020-nhl-draft/ - Scott Wheeler

Fallers

Jack Quinn, RW/LW, Buffalo Sabres/Rochester Americans/Ottawa 67’s

Drafted: No. 8
My final ranking: No. 15

It’s worth starting the following two things:

It’s harder to peg so-called “fallers” in a year like this, where most kids have played reduced schedules, than it is to find players who’ve impressed.

Jack Quinn is a legitimate, high-end prospect.

I thought he was better than people gave him credit for at the world juniors, he then impressed in the Sabres’ training camp and he has been fine in the AHL. So this has more to do with where he was picked and the play of those selected immediately after him than it does him playing poorly in an admittedly small sample size. I’m confident if he were back in the OHL playing where he should be, he’d be having a big year as a go-to player on a different-looking Ottawa 67’s team. But if there’s one player taken inside the top-14 who should probably go outside that group (or further to the back of that group) today, it’s probably Quinn. I still think he’s got a chance to further add muscle, he’s already a standout athlete in other ways, he’s going to give a team some versatility in all three zones and he can put the puck in the net from mid-range. But while everyone around him (except Marco Rossi due to injury) has taken leaps forward, he has taken smaller steps this year.

Edited by LGR4GM

41 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Doesn't seem like it was an ideal path for one of the more raw prospects to be playing in the AHL.  It's also been... an interesting season for the entire organization.  All the line shuffling between injuries, covid, and the taxi squad - it's a lot to manage.  Too early to tell if this has any effect on him, but i'd still probably throw him in the lineup for a stretch once they move hall.  

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

As a practical matter, the Sabres did what I think was best in the circumstances.  I am not worried; it is not like he has had mental discipline issues throughout his Junior career.

• Like (+1) 2

Not having an OHL Season and only being able to play 9 AHL Games this season has been horrible for His Development. 

That being said, His Numbers are eerily similar to Alex Nylander’s First Season in the AHL. 

If the Sabres are going to bring up as many young players as possible, he should be brought up and allowed to play only five games or less to preserve His ELC to get an idea what the NHL is like

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Brawndo said:

Not having an OHL Season and only being able to play 9 AHL Games this season has been horrible for His Development. 

That being said, His Numbers are eerily similar to Alex Nylander’s First Season in the AHL. 

If the Sabres are going to bring up as many young players as possible, he should be brought up and allowed to play only five games or less to preserve His ELC to get an idea what the NHL is like

Yeah, I agree.  There are other forwards in the organization who deserve more ice time with the big club at this point.  Ruotsolainen, asplund, murray should get longer looks.

11 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

As a practical matter, the Sabres did what I think was best in the circumstances.  I am not worried; it is not like he has had mental discipline issues throughout his Junior career.

In regards to playing him in the AHL?

It looked like a poor pick to me at the time, and it looks even worse now considering the depth of centre within range of our pick that year and the lacking at C, wing/D heavy draft this year. 

I still think he’ll be a good player, but it’s a tar-and-feather worthy pick if he falls well short of the standard you’d expect from the 8th overall pick - not only was it a deep draft, but Adams got cute picking an older player who had a total of 1 notable season under his belt as a prospect. If you bet on one season, you have to hit 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

In regards to playing him in the AHL?

Yes.  There was not going to be an OHL when that decision was made.  I think they looked at the 2 week quarantine and decided the long waits going into the Juniors were not worth it.

Was it best?  Damned if I know.

Just now, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Yes.  There was not going to be an OHL when that decision was made.  I think they looked at the 2 week quarantine and decided the long waits going into the Juniors were not worth it.

Was it best?  Damned if I know.

I'm not certain of taxi squad rules, but I guess that could've been an option.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Who was a riser that we passed on?

... I am not even joking but Seth Jarvis (he got put in the "other risers" section which was basically the equivalent of honorable mention)

and also Dylan Holloway. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

... I am not even joking but Seth Jarvis (he got put in the "other risers" section which was basically the equivalent of honorable mention)

and also Dylan Holloway. 

Seth Jarvis had 7 goals and 11 points in 9 AHL games...Jack Quinn has 1 goal and 4 points in 9 AHL games.

Who knows who will be better, but it's just another reminder that the Quinn pick was too high.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

the numbers are similar but hopefully the competitiveness isn't     I still believe Quinn is going to be just fine

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Quinn? No, that's not gonna happen. He needs Rochester. 

Maybe, I certainly don't have him penciled in the lineup for next year, but something about this kid seems to defy expectations.  They said going into the draft that he was a one dimensional scoring forward.  Then in the Wjr we saw a smart gifted 2 way player who skating was above average and was a good passer as well.  

He looked nearly ready in camp this year and while not dominating in the AHL, he hasn't looked out of place.  Add some muscle this summer and who knows what happens in camp.  

Would we be smart to take our time with him.  Probably, but he could force the issue.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Maybe, I certainly don't have him penciled in the lineup for next year, but something about this kid seems to defy expectations.  They said going into the draft that he was a one dimensional scoring forward.  Then in the Wjr we saw a smart gifted 2 way player who skating was above average and was a good passer as well.  

He looked nearly ready in camp this year and while not dominating in the AHL, he hasn't looked out of place.  Add some muscle this summer and who knows what happens in camp.  

Would we be smart to take our time with him.  Probably, but he could force the issue.

Anyone who was saying that was stupid. He played tons of pk in the ohl. 

He's gonna be in Rochester next year. 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You are forgetting that he is a late birthday.  He'll be 20 in Sept.  

His development curve was very strange though even before this mess of a year.  I wouldn't worry too much about his birthday.  Can you make him a functioning NHL player by 2022?  To me that's what we need.

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They didn’t really say that.  Maybe early in the season, but not by draft time.

Its silly to try to decide, right now, where he should play next season.  Not enough information.

I would say normal development path would be to put him in the AHL for about half a season and then see where things stand after that.  Hopefully get him some NHL time at some point.

With prospects, I don’t think it’s a good idea to make decisions based of small sample sizes.  Maybe a kid looks good in 5-10 AHL games (or even NHL games!), but that doesn’t mean that he has the physical maturity, mental maturity, self confidence, or depth of skill set to be successful in the NHL over the course of a 82 game season.

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

They didn’t really say that.  Maybe early in the season, but not by draft time.

Its silly to try to decide, right now, where he should play next season.  Not enough information.

I would say normal development path would be to put him in the AHL for about half a season and then see where things stand after that.  Hopefully get him some NHL time at some point.

With prospects, I don’t think it’s a good idea to make decisions based of small sample sizes.  Maybe a kid looks good in 5-10 AHL games (or even NHL games!), but that doesn’t mean that he has the physical maturity, mental maturity, self confidence, or depth of skill set to be successful in the NHL over the course of a 82 game season.

Aaaaaand....... It it appears he hasn't looked all that good so far this season.  Howinthehell do you project him on the big squad next year when he hasn't really shown anything indicating that he even belongs in the AHL this year?  Madness, GA.  Weird, recklessly confident madness.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.