GDT: 4/1/21 NY Rags vs. Buffalo Sabres. 7:00 p.m. TV MSG, Radio WGR550

Claude Balls

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

And once again, there is Dahlin, looking pretty, not making the play.

His only job there is stopping that pass. I guess he didn’t want to get any ice shavings on his jersey.

He did make a nice glove save on a shot at the empty Buffalo net. Of course Hockey God Tanti directed the puck to a vulnerable area, causing terrible pain. Other Gods were furious, allowing Buffalo to tie the game late with the stipulation that NY would win late in overtime, with Dahlin made to look bad. Tanti is not to be messed with.

3 hours ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Another solid performance, not good enough, but DG has got them up on their toes and playing an improved all around game. I don't love our options 3-3 right now. We match up poorly with a team that has really high end players. Bottom line is our better players are not good in that type of situation.

With both Jack and Cozens out, that’s to be expected.

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

How often do Dmen stop a 2 on 1 pass?

The only reason we even got to OT is because Dahlin got down and dirty and got ice shavings aaaaaaaaaaaallll over his shin pads by getting down and blocking that shot on his empty net, in the last minute right before we scored 

Could only watch the highlights, so of course, that only means goals,... even to NHL.com.

D men stop that pass all the time. No one remembers the play.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I honestly don't see how you guys can microanalyze what happens in three on three hockey. It ain't hockey.

I think 3 on 3' s awesome. The game becomes a high energy boxing match. The emphasis on basic fundamentals becomes magnified.

One wrong move, KO

See ya!!!

44 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

3 of a possible 4 point ... freakin' awesome.

That's my perspective.

The Buffalo Sabres Hockey team is exhausted.

Out skilled and over worked yet still, they fought like mad men overlooking the gates of Valhalla.

They come from the lands of the ice and snow

From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow

Thats my perspective...

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Could only watch the highlights, so of course, that only means goals,... even to NHL.com.

D men stop that pass all the time. No one remembers the play.

Also, Dahlin's job in that situation is always to take away the pass. If the shooter beats the goalie, fine, but you gotta commit to taking away the pass so the goalie can commit to the shooter.

Especially when the shooter is a right handed shot coming down the right wing. The angle is already bad for him, the goalie has the advantage. Make him take that shot.

1 hour ago, Figster said:

I think 3 on 3' s awesome. The game becomes a high energy boxing match. The emphasis on basic fundamentals becomes magnified.

One wrong move, KO

See ya!!!

Fair. But fundamentals that are rarely put into practice in that scenario.

• Thanks (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Also, Dahlin's job in that situation is always to take away the pass. If the shooter beats the goalie, fine, but you gotta commit to taking away the pass so the goalie can commit to the shooter.

Especially when the shooter is a right handed shot coming down the right wing. The angle is already bad for him, the goalie has the advantage. Make him take that shot.

Regardless, it doesn't have anything to do with "looking pretty" and that was the main thing I took issue with 

Very late to the party on this, but the phantom hold on Risto, the Strome "tripping" call, where he fell down at least a second after being whacked and the ref didn't put his arm up for another second later, the time the ref got in the way to set up a Rangers scoring chance, and the non-slashing-call on the Skinner soccer play were are all pretty egregious, and cost us big time.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Figster said:

The Buffalo Sabres Hockey team is exhausted

I posted in another thread, that they should be able to play every other day, and the odd day back to back, plus practice every day at a decently high tempo. 

As a former rower that spent time in the national team system (but never made it), training 2-3 times a day 6 days a week is the norm if you expect to win. 

The work that goes into playing a game with 15-20 TOI, wouldn't be that hard to recover from physically for a world class athlete if they're in decent shape. 

Maybe mentally, or from a bumps and bruises perspective they might want more rest. Still, I say push them hard and see what they're capable of.

Edited by JoeSchmoe

6 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I posted in another thread, that they should be able to play every other day, and the odd day back to back, plus practice every day at a decently high tempo. 

As a former rower that spent time in the national team system (but never made it), training 2-3 times a day 6 days a week is the norm if you expect to win. 

The work that goes into playing a game with 15-20 TOI, wouldn't be that hard to recover from physically for a world class athlete if they're in decent shape. 

Maybe mentally, or from a bumps and bruises perspective they might want more rest. Still, I say push them hard and see what they're capable of.

Mentally is probably the operative word. If you're on an 18-game winning streak, are you as exhausted? Compare nine hours at an amusement park and nine hours stuck in an unpleasant relatives' home.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Mentally is probably the operative word. If you're on an 18-game winning streak, are you as exhausted? Compare nine hours at an amusement park and nine hours stuck in an unpleasant relatives' home.

Under the circumstances it takes an instant show/sign of respect and confidence in what the man thats standing in front of you is trying to convey to turn things around so quickly. Its the kind of thing that doesn't come easily IMO. Not under these circumstances. I really like our Buffalo Sabres Hockey team. Fun to watch when they play as a team.  I really like our new HC. The team has grit and showing good character in my humble opinion. Did I mention good Goaltending.

Who are these guys?

7 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Just curious really:  For how long do you train in this way without a break?

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Just curious really:  For how long do you train in this way without a break?

At the end of the summer season, I'd typically take 2-3 weeks off, and in the fall mainly stick to 1 a days. But from winter to the end of the summer it's 2-3 training sessions per day.

On "3 a days" it would typically be 1 weight session and 2 lighter cardio sessions, usually both on the water in the summer, or on the rowing machine and cross training in the winter. 

"2 a days" we're usually 1 tougher cardio workout and 1 lighter one.

Coming from a lower-middle class family I had to do this, plus work to support myself. I couldn't stick with it beyond my early twenties as eventually I needed to grow up and get a real job. Nearly everyone that did end up making it didn't have to work like a lot of us did meaning they could rest while the rest of us worked (I delivered appliances). There were others on the fringes like myself that had the financial backing such that they could stick with it into their late twenties until they got their shot. One guy that went through when I did... and eventually made later on still has never had a real job and he's in his mid-40s.

Edited by JoeSchmoe

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.