BREAKING: Jack Eichel traded to the Kings for Three Firsts, Turcotte and Byfield

Hoss

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

the interesting question is - would you be happy with this trade?

I think i would be a yes  

Hell no

its three lottery tickets and two promising prospects. The high likelihood is that no one in that deal ends up as good as Jack and if they do it’s in 5 years. Pushes timeline back so far. 

It’s not a video game to me. Burning off years of real time to wait for mystery box is blah. Build around Jack. 

Plus, I already have his jersey lol 

- - -

If he asks out and we are forced to deal him, it may be the best deal we get so in that sense it’s reasonable 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

The most interesting aspect of this has been the overall feeling that this would be fine with many. Secondary to that is ink’s adoration for festive celebrations.

I would hate it, personally. No known commodity in there and feels like the absolute lowest you should be getting for a superstar.

Agree. He’s not that popular here. He was one of the best players in the world last year but it’s like barely even a sting to lose him. I still think regardless of the talk of the team not surrounding him with enough talent, he bears the burden of not winning, straight up. 

He’s not blamed for it per se, but it’s like a “didn’t work with him, why not trade him?” situation, which is dangerously close to the talk around ROR at the time 

Imo people shouldn’t be surprised the ineptitude of the organization was revealed to be bountiful enough to prevent a player of Jack’s ilk from making barely a dent in the standings. 

We’ve seen them in action! They suck! Historic levels of ineptitude.

Edited by Thorny

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Hell no

its three lottery tickets and two promising prospects. The high likelihood is that no one in that deal ends up as good as Jack and if they do it’s in 5 years. Pushes timeline back so far. 

It’s not a video game to me. Burning off years of real time to wait for mystery box is blah. Build around Jack. 

- - -

If he asks out and we are forced to deal him, it may be the best deal we get so in that sense it’s reasonable 

Agree. He’s not that popular here. He was one of the best players in the world last year but it’s like barely even a sting to lose him. I still think regardless of the talk of the team not surrounding him with enough talent, he bears the burden of not winning, straight up. 

He’s not blamed for it per se, but it’s like a “didn’t work with him, why not trade him?” situation, which is dangerously close to the talk around ROR at the time 

Imo people shouldn’t be surprised the ineptitude of the organization was revealed to be bountiful enough to prevent a player of Jack’s ilk from making barely a dent in the standings. 

We’ve seen them in action! They suck! 

Eichel's play at times leaves a lot to be desired.  He can be as disinterested as anyone, including Hall.  I'm just not sure he has the fiery competitiveness I think we need in a captain to attempt to right this ship.  That's on him, not the team he's surrounded with.  

9 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

Eichel's play at times leaves a lot to be desired.  He can be as disinterested as anyone, including Hall.  I'm just not sure he has the fiery competitiveness I think we need in a captain to attempt to right this ship.  That's on him, not the team he's surrounded with.  

He was a top centre in the world last year. Faults included. Do you disagree with his 8th overall finish in the MVP voting last year? 

I feel like demeanour is being given more weight than the actual results of his play: he was that player.

Isn’t “fiery competitiveness” a means to an end, and not the pursuit itself? You hope a player has fiery competitiveness so it translates into results. But Jack is already getting the results! 

Is he supposed to exuded some sort of energy that symbiotically makes his teammates better? Or are they supposed to, as what has generally been low talent individuals, supposed to be so inspired by their captain that they just find a way to play better? If this mythical ability exists, why isn’t the blame on them, as adult males, to motivate themselves, if their contracts aren’t enough? 

And how the heck is he not fiery anyways?! Dude breaks 3 sticks a game in anger. He cares more than  anyone 

I think that for some people, his play this year has erased his play last year.

I don't think that's entirely fair, because I think he's been playing hurt.

I still think we can have the player we had last year, and that player is better than five lottery tickets, even five good ones.

That said, if we did trade him for futures, I doubt the return would be this good.

Edited by dudacek

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He was a top centre in the world last year. Faults included. Do you disagree with his 8th overall finish in the MVP voting last year? 

I feel like demeanour is being given more weight than the actual results of his play: he was that player.

Isn’t “fiery competitiveness” a means to an end, and not the pursuit itself? You hope a player has fiery competitiveness so it translates into results. But Jack is already getting the results! 

Is he supposed to exuded some sort of energy that symbiotically makes his teammates better? Or are they supposed to, as what has generally been low talent individuals, supposed to be so inspired by their captain that they just find a way to play better? If this mythical ability exists, why isn’t the blame on them, as adult males, to motivate themselves, if their contracts aren’t enough? 

And how the heck is he not fiery anyways?! Dude breaks 3 sticks a game in anger. He cares more than  anyone 

I like Jack Eichel the hockey player well enough.  I'm not sure about Eichel the captain.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think that for some people, his play this year has erased his play last year.

I don't think that's entirely fair, because I think he's been playing hurt.

I still think we can have the player we had last year, and that player is better than five lottery tickets, even five good ones.

That said, if we did trade him for futures, I doubt the return would be this good.

this! the guy tried to gut it out with injured ribs. He wasn't close to the player we've seen.  

I think, if it was detailed exactly what he was going through in order suit up this season, there wouldn't be any of the questioning of his "leadership" or "competitiveness" 

15 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

this! the guy tried to gut it out with injured ribs. He wasn't close to the player we've seen.  

I think, if it was detailed exactly what he was going through in order suit up this season, there wouldn't be any of the questioning of his "leadership" or "competitiveness" 

My questioning Jacks leadership abilities relates more to the long term Sabre woes since he became a Buffalo Sabre. The spurts of good stretches followed with bad. Never reaching the playoffs. As leader of a hockey team its up to Jack to help keep the players grounded and on an even keel IMO.

By no means am I saying all the Buffalo Sabres problems are Jacks fault. What I am saying is he hasn't helped from a leadership standpoint in my humble opinion. 

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Hell no

- - -

We’ve seen them in action! They suck! Historic levels of ineptitude.

Personally, it’s not that I blame Jack or hold him responsible for not winning.  I know the organization is messed up.

For me it’s mainly two things:

(1) During Jack’s time here, there have not really been any positive moments to look back fondly on.  There is no feeling that “without Jack the team never would have been able to do.......”.  Jack just does not have any sentimental value or any emotional currency built up.  He hasn’t really meant anything to me.  There is no emotional connection.

(2) As time goes on it has appeared more and more likely that the Jack-Sabres relationship will end badly with a trade.  I think many have come to expect it, at some point, and are psychologically prepared for it.

57 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Nobody at work knows that I was the one who replaced all the sugar in the sugar container next to the coffee machine with salt last night. 

Many people were confused and angry this morning. 

What a fun holiday!

22 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Why should I hitch my psychic wagon to Jack? He's an immensely talented player with a very unlikable hockey style, and his personality isn't likable either. He's done nothing but lose. Give me some stuff in return and let's move on. Jack will be happier too.

Interesting.  The talented part is true.  The unlikeable Hockey style?  Yes, at times, especially when things are hard and not going well.  The poor teams, lack of effective veterans (his comments), and constant losing all contribute.  

Unlikable personality?   I wish I knew.  Is this your opinion or do you have real information?   Judging from interviews, body language, and some on ice behavior this could be a take away.  Certainly lacks the charisma and maturity of a Josh Allen who became a captain his second season and wears it well.  In all those 80 game seasons I still don’t see any sense of humor or much indication that he is having fun.  Is he a victim of losing or a contributor?   

The real brilliance of the post was the timing. So many of us read it whilst in waking up mode.

And Hoss' creative mind. How did you formulate such a trade in your head?

51 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Interesting.  The talented part is true.  The unlikeable Hockey style?  Yes, at times, especially when things are hard and not going well.  The poor teams, lack of effective veterans (his comments), and constant losing all contribute.  

Unlikable personality?   I wish I knew.  Is this your opinion or do you have real information?   Judging from interviews, body language, and some on ice behavior this could be a take away.  Certainly lacks the charisma and maturity of a Josh Allen who became a captain his second season and wears it well.  In all those 80 game seasons I still don’t see any sense of humor or much indication that he is having fun.  Is he a victim of losing or a contributor?   

Real information.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.