Fastest consecutive shorthanded goals

SDS

Two amazing things here. One, the Edmonton Oilers have four of the five top spots, all by different players, all in different years. That’s amazing.

Second, there are two people on this list that are both current Buffalo Sabres.

9CC3EFF9-D8C0-4C85-9E63-37F2E4857003.jpeg

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Two amazing things here. One, the Edmonton Oilers have four of the five top spots, all by different players, all in different years. That’s amazing.

At #2, that looks like former Sabre Pat Hughes.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, SDS said:

I wonder how many players on this list scored against either one or two goalies? My guess is most were end of game empty netters. 

If no one has this by the weekend, I will look it up.

So, NHL Public Relations sent out that table with this caption:

Brandon Montour (0:37) scored the fastest two shorthanded goals by a defenseman in NHL history and the 12th fastest by any player to help the @BuffaloSabres snap their 18-game winless streak with a victory over the Flyers. #NHLStats

He is the top defenseman on that list, but there are only five players above him, not 11.  So, did those five have more than one, but only their fastest is listed?  Is the "consecutive" part the big differentiator (i.e., seven other forwards had two short-handed goals that were less than 37 apart, but weren't consecutive goals)?  Does it happen more in the playoffs, maybe?

Edited by carpandean

10 hours ago, SDS said:

Thanks for this.  Kinda cool that Gretzky and Messier did it on the same date 4 years apart.

On 4/1/2021 at 10:37 AM, carpandean said:

So, NHL Public Relations sent out that table with this caption:

He is the top defenseman on that list, but there are only five players above him, not 11.  So, did those five have more than one, but only their fastest is listed?  Is the "consecutive" part the big differentiator (i.e., seven other forwards had two short-handed goals that were less than 37 apart, but weren't consecutive goals)?  Does it happen more in the playoffs, maybe?

That table is only since 1981. Don Luce, for one, not on table but scored two shorthanded goal in 23 seconds.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.