GDT: 3/31/21 Filthydelphia Flyers vs. Buffalo Sabres. TV 7:30 on NBCSN, radio WGR550.

Claude Balls

1 hour ago, LTS said:

I mean, they are going to get some kind of draft pick for him.  So it was 8 million well spent.  🙂

depends on the pick...I think we al hoped for something better then what we got for Stall so Hall may only bring a 2nd which is for the most part not much help. Even a 1st from a top team is basically like a 2nd as it will be well over 20th pick and we need a low pick to get anybody good and none of the lower teams would care about trading for Hall...

On a different note, our defense is suddenly playing well and contributing on offense and one is left to wonder if the defense (and team on a whole) are better then we were seeing under RK and maybe guys like Montour and Miler are not as bad as they have been made out. Of course having an NHL goalie (Linus) helps too far beyond what anybody could imagine. Sad truth is Hutton is done and a team with no confidence in their goalie is a really bad thing. Clearly they believe in LInus and love him and play totally different in front of him.

Edited by Sabre fan

Last night was fun. I like watching a win (with lots of goals) way more than a loss.

I'm not quite ready to remove the interim tag just yet, as it was one win against a team that isn’t very good.

I just want to be entertained for the rest of the year. I guess that’s all can ask for at this point.

(That weird posting in another thread happened again)

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Agree, and it’s not even surprising - he wasn’t really an NHL coach when we hired him. No season completed, and he hadn’t even been in the league in any capacity in years. Just a mistake. Wish him well. 

Glad you mentioned management too: we get a real NHL goalie in there and all of a sudden we are noticeably better and in games? It’s not just about the raw ability, either. Ralph talked of confidence endlessly - maybe, just maybe, having someone capable between the pipes helps that? So obvious. 

It makes me really worried Adams didn’t prioritize a back up goalie upgrade this past offseason. It’s really bad evaluation. It’s the main reason the season has been this bad. Just statistically compare the games with Linus, and without. 

It’s just gets more maddening over time, just an absolute boneheaded blunder by the GM 

I think the goalies are coming and they havent figured out a good stop gap option.

10 hours ago, bunomatic said:

The only thing I can say about KA s failure in letting RK continue the losses is KA was likely as taken by Ralphs snakeoil shakedown as the rest of us were. People have said fraud ( I might have too ) but I think Ralph actually believed his story enough that he easily convinced the owners, management and the fans. Of course he was in way over his head and the house of cards was bound to fall.

I highly doubt Kevyn Adams was taken in by Ralph.  I think Pegula was taken in by Ralph, and Ralph told Kevyn "do not fire Ralph" and so Adams did not.

Eventually it got beyond the breaking point, and Adams was able to fire Ralph.

I'll believe that version of events until we hear otherwise, years from now.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

I think the goalies are coming and they havent figured out a good stop gap option.

If the chances that one of the goalies in the system becomes an NHLer one day has factored into how the active roster has been approached we assuredly have the wrong GM.

Until further notice they need 2 goalies (Ullmark a nice start) who are good, no thought of “stop gap” necessary 

48 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I highly doubt Kevyn Adams was taken in by Ralph.  I think Pegula was taken in by Ralph, and Ralph told Kevyn "do not fire Ralph" and so Adams did not.

Yeah you’re likely right. But its amazing how many were hoodwinked including many people in the hockey community including the talking heads on the broadcasts etc.

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

Russ Brandon fooled R W and the Pegulus, helped ruin the Bills and Sabres. Not bad for a glorified market manager eh.

Well, I suppose it depends on who you ask.

Good salesman, bad at everything else...

20 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I agree with this.

What's alarming about this is that Adams watches practices, he's around the team, he sees how RK is coaching these guys.... which begs the question, what took so long for KA to pull the trigger on firing Krueger?    

When Granato took over he knew exactly what they needed to do to get better.     The fact that KA didn't recognize this sooner reflects poorly on him.

Agree.  Just look at the differing the last four games.  Sure Uhlmark helps but they are going to the net, the defense is jumping 8nto the play, and they are playing faster.  

Dahlin, Joker, Mitts and Tage are all playing much better without RK’s system.  

Get Eichel back, Cozens back, and replace Hall, Staal, and Hutton with better contributors.  

I hope we can get a ready prospect and a pick for Hall. 

On 4/1/2021 at 11:40 AM, SwampD said:

as it was one win against a team that isn’t very good.

The fun part was stumbling across the Flyers NHL page when they announced a twofer sack in the FO. To read them have a stroke over losing to us was quite entertaining in and of itself. 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.