Buffalo - Destination Team?

rickshaw

Sabres will be a destination when there is new management. An aggressive assistant GM to work with Adams, real scouts and a billionaire or what ever the hell he is, willing to open up his purse like he did for the Bills. A coach who can build a winning culture in the coffin of NHL. Otherwise, SOSDD.

I think Buffalo is a tough sell right now, but with the right people in place, it can be turned around fairly quickly (a season or 2) and the Sabres can be a destination again.  Hockey players often like smaller markets in northern cities, Buffalo's proximity to southern Ontario is a big plus, and Buffalo has a great fanbase.  A lot of Sabres players remain in Buffalo after retiring from hockey and many even come back if they play elsewhere after leaving the Sabres organization.  But first they have to put out the dumpster fire and get things pointed in the right direction.

The bad news is free agents won't want to come here right now.

The good news is you don't build a good hockey team by signing high priced free agents anyway.

The further good news is that we can turn things around, and if we do, free agents will be happy to come here again when we start winning again.

The Buffalo Bills were the dumpster of the NFL for a couple decades, but in a few short, well-managed years, they have become a strong franchise that is in discussion for singing the biggest free agents in the league.

It all goes in cycles and people *will* want to come here if/when we get things sorted out.

We have to sort things out first, though, but that was always the case, if we want to be a solid hockey team ever again.

23 minutes ago, SwampD said:

FAs get big dough. I would guess that they just buy the houses outright.

Why would they do that?  A financial advisor would tell them to get a mortgage and invest their extra money.

They may be capable of buying a house with cash, but it’s not usually the smart move.

Edited by Curt

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

Why would they do that?  A financial advisor would tell them to get a mortgage and invest their extra money.

They may be capable of buying a house with cash, but it’s not usually the smart move.

Yes and no.  Right now with interest rates so low it does make some sense, but for many of these guys with their careers limited in scope they tend to want the security of having the home paid for.  It may not be the best way to maximize wealth, but many value security and simplicity of not having a mortgage. 

I know this from experience representing some NFL players here in the ATL. 

32 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes and no.  Right now with interest rates so low it does make some sense, but for many of these guys with their careers limited in scope they tend to want the security of having the home paid for.  It may not be the best way to maximize wealth, but many value security and simplicity of not having a mortgage. 

I know this from experience representing some NFL players here in the ATL. 

Hmm interesting.  Thanks

On 3/31/2021 at 9:56 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Your thinking like a normal person.  The guys at the level this makes a difference don’t have mortgages. 

Okay but they still have to buy the house. Home prices in Buffalo versus home prices in Tampa, what is that like? (honestly asking, I have no idea)

I think we overestimate taxes in the decisions. There's more to a lot of these guys than just money. 

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Okay but they still have to buy the house. Home prices in Buffalo versus home prices in Tampa, what is that like? (honestly asking, I have no idea)

I think we overestimate taxes in the decisions. There's more to a lot of these guys than just money. 

Average housing cost in Tampa is significantly higher, but at the upper end, say 5000 to 6000 sq ft, the price difference shrinks unless one is on the beach in Tampa.  About 900K for 5000 in Clarence/Willamsville vs 1.25 in Tampa Area.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.