Ghost on Waivers

Brawndo

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

His cap hit would be prorated based on how much of the season is left so it wouldn't be as big of a difference

Wouldn't the sabres Cap hit only be based off of what he is still owed on his contract and not the cap hit the Flyers are hit with because theirs would be based off of the total value with bonuses and incentives. I thought if he gets claimed, that team would be hit with only what is owed on his deal and the rest would be 'Dead Cap Space' the Flyers would be responsible for?

No.  Cap hit is not recalculated when changing teams.  Whatever team he is on is responsible for the full, normal cap hit.

3 hours ago, woods-racer said:

Is this sarcasm? 

Yes, based on the title.

3 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Great question. I have no idea but we clearly don't. We want to squat and yield.

Historically, you might think small-market teams have wanted to suppress offense to keep player costs down. Or... the players they can afford are not suited to scoring goals (think Dom-era Sabres). Or both. You'd think that went out the winder with the arrival Terry Dad Sneakers.

51 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Yes, based on the title.

Historically, you might think small-market teams have wanted to suppress offense to keep player costs down. Or... the players they can afford are not suited to scoring goals (think Dom-era Sabres). Or both. You'd think that went out the winder with the arrival Terry Dad Sneakers.

Let me quote an old Hockey News.  "Of course the NHL does not like to enforce the rules.  With the hook-and-hold, a thug is as useful as a hockey player, except that he comes a lot cheaper."  They went to point out that only the Buffalo Sabres seemed to defy this small-market trend until 1995-6.

18 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I’d take a flyer on the guy. 

I see what you did...ha-ha.  He would still be an improvement over what we have.  I just like the concept of claiming him and dressing for tomorrow night....wouldn't that be fun to see him trade jerseys and face his former team during the same road trip (in Buffalo)?!?!

Edited by Carmel Corn

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Yes, based on the title.

This might have legs.  I laughed out loud when I read this yesterday.  Not sure who is the creator but thanks.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Very strange.  That salary and term gives me pause, but it does push Matt Irwin off the main roster.

I really don't have a problem with Matt Irwin on this roster.  If nothing else, he's a rugged checker, something we need more of on D, not less.

8 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Ghostisbehere on this team will be a Chernobyl sized dumpster fire. He needs to be on a team that wants to run and gun, has a solid guy they can pair him with who can defend, a good goaltender, and enough offense in general to overcome his utter lack of defense.

So you're saying convert him to a LW?

8 hours ago, John Tucker said:

Hell, put him on the wing.

So it's not just me?

8 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Holy crap it gets funnier

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/flyers-waived-ghost-to-clear-cap-for-major-deal.2813938/

Some fans think this is to make room for Taylor Hall.

Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah-hah...

Sweet.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I see what you did...ha-ha.  He would still be an improvement over what we have.  I just like the concept of claiming him and dressing for tomorrow night....wouldn't that be fun to see him trade jerseys and face his former team during the same road trip (in Buffalo)?!?!

Sure.  Then waive him.

And absorb his cap.

9 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd claim him, at minimum he'd be expansion bait. At best he could figure it out again and be a great offensive defenseman. Not to mention we are a tad short on Dmen once we trade Montour with all our present injuries.

Good thought but honestly what d-man are you worried about losing? I don't know how many we can protect but you'd have to think that we wouldn't really lose any d-man of significance if the Krak took one

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

So it's not just me?

It certainly wouldn't hurt anything.  Seems to me this team is a tad short on able bodied NHL humans, regardless of position.  If he works out, then great.  Maybe they have someone that would fit in their future plans.  If not, waive him or trade him for a bag of pucks.  At this point we need to leave no stone unturned when trying to forge a competent roster moving forward.  And with the way this clown show organization drafts, there's a better probability of finding a diamond in the rough from the waiver wire.

8 hours ago, Pimlach said:

They wouldn’t be waiving him unless his play was far below his contract.  Buyer beware.  Besides we have Dahlin and Joker in that mold.   

I’ve always thought the “they wouldn’t be waiving/releasing/trading him” stuff in any sport is an argument that falls flat. Of course there’s a REASON teams do things. And we see time and time again that teams are wrong. Or that teams are right but their reason for not wanting someone doesn’t ultimately preclude their new team for finding a successful role for them. There was a reason the Coyotes traded Daniel Briere. There was a reason the Colts traded Jerry Hughes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I’ve always thought the “they wouldn’t be waiving/releasing/trading him” stuff in any sport is an argument that falls flat. Of course there’s a REASON teams do things. And we see time and time again that teams are wrong. Or that teams are right but their reason for not wanting someone doesn’t ultimately preclude their new team for finding a successful role for them. There was a reason the Coyotes traded Daniel Briere. There was a reason the Colts traded Jerry Hughes.

You are comparing apples and oranges.   Trades verify there was perceived value.   Briere was traded.  Jerry Hughes was traded.  Staal was traded.  Ghost was waived. 

Ghost is likely not traded because there was no market for him.  His salary must be a factor.  It’s clear the Flyer’s have other people they prefer to play.  

This is not to say he won’t get picked up and play productively somewhere else.   Again, we have Dahlin, Joker, Montour, and Bryson.  If we add another let’s gets someone with more a physical presence.  More like Risto and McCabe and Borgen.  Especially with the later two out.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You are comparing apples and oranges.   Trades verify there was perceived value.   Briere was traded.  Jerry Hughes was traded.  Staal was traded.  Ghost was waived. 

Ghost is likely not traded because there was no market for him.  His salary must be a factor.  It’s clear the Flyer’s have other people they prefer to play.  

This is not to say he won’t get picked up and play productively somewhere else.   Again, we have Dahlin, Joker, Montour, and Bryson.  If we add another let’s gets someone with more a physical presence.  More like Risto and McCabe and Borgen.  Especially with the later two out.  

Shoulda gone with Pominville

• Like (+1) 1

at the end of the day Philly play far better defense then we certainly do right now and if Ghost can't hack it on Philly he sure as hell will never make it here. I do think he has great upside and value for a better team such as Edmonton Toronto etc...of course  not many of the better teams have cap space  however

As long as NHL contracts are based on past performance and assume career high years will be the norm going forward (they almost never are), teams will continue to be handing out these horrible contracts and be disappointed.

Ownership needs to find a way to gear Ks around past performance, not anticipated future performance.

How you would go about actually engineering such a system is the difficult part.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.