Trading Linus Ullmark

dudacek

Linus Ullmark  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to re-sign Linus Ullmark to be our #1 goalie next year

2. 2. If Linus informs us he will be testing free agency this summer, what would you do?

• Keep him. We can't afford to play out the season without a good goalie
    • Trade him only if we get an offer that knocks our socks off
    • Trade him for fair rental value: a 2nd, or a similar prospect
    • Trade him for whatever we can get

A lot of valid concerns why many feel  Ullmark isn’t quite #1 material yet. And yet some supporters of throwing a truck of money at him is a risk worth taking, have good points too.

I’d like to see him have one, just one full 82 game season where he plays 55-60 games. IF he has even league average numbers then ... ok, throw him a multi year contract in the 5-6 mil. A year range. Until then, I’d prefer the Sabres look elsewhere for a legit, #1. Or at the very least, a major upgrade over Hutton.

We have seen what happens the last two seasons when you have one good goalie.  It would be crazy to go into the off-season with Ullmark intentionally unsigned and have no good NHL goalies under contract. A 4-5 year deal in the 4-5 million range is what makes sense to me.

If it were up to me, I would:

- Give Ullmark 4 x $4.5 (and be prepared to go to $5 million per); and

- Overpay a vet goalie for 1 year to be the back-up (as an example, Halak for one year at 4 million).  This would bridge the gap to 22-23 when Luukkonen comes up and Portillo gets signed and goes to Rochester (hopefully).

If Montreal can pay $13-14.5 million for two goalies for 3 years, we can pay $9-10 million for one year.

A healthy Eichel, the right coach and two good goaltenders and the difference for this team would be dramatic.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Yup, I know what goalie contracts there are.  I’m asking what would you pay to keep him?  And what do you think he can get on the open market?

I said six million for six years, which is a real gamble. But you have to have good goaltending. 

That is based on the idea that someone else will offer him something  relatively  high, like five for four years, but who knows? That a guy past his prime like Brandon Holtby got eight million for two years tells me Linus will get some type of pretty good offer. 

That i I might be totally wrong, I know and understand 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

A healthy Eichel, the right coach and two good goaltenders and the difference for this team would be dramatic.

Have you noticed how pitiful the forwards ranks have been since Eichel went down? It will take more than Eichel’s return to make this a productive group. 

15 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I think the Sabres could safely go to 4.25 for Ullmark, which would leave the 2.5-3 range wide open for a quality backup.  Definitely should keep it under $7.5M for the tandem. The good news is that Dahlin and Jokiharju are both playing themselves into bridge contracts that are going to be well below where we would have expected to pay them at the beginning of this season.

The Skinner contract is still a rock tied around this franchise's neck until the combined Seattle/ESPN/NBC & next Canadian TV deals kick in, plus the return of fans to seats, and jump the salary cap up into the $90s. So right when Skinner's skating will fall apart and there's still 3 years left on his deal.

Agreed. I think we should be able to get Ullmark done for 4-4.5 per depending on term. I don't go any higher than 4.5 though. 

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Thatcher Demko just signed the classic Golisano deal (5x5)

You want to re-sign Ullmark, there’s your starting point.

Yikes, that seems like a wild overpayment for a goalie who only has 62 NHL games to his name and has never carried the starting load in an 82 game season.

7 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Yikes, that seems like a wild overpayment for a goalie who only has 62 NHL games to his name and has never carried the starting load in an 82 game season.

Yeah, but.  With a name like Thatcher Demko there is no risk.

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

All you need to know about Ullmark this season. 14 decisions - 15 points earned.  
plus was winning the game he got hurt, we all remember the softy Hutton gave up in OT

all other goalies 21 decisions 4 points    Almost hard to believe 

Can we say MVP

Just now, dudacek said:

I'm telling you, we can't let this one get away.

He's turned into a real starter before our eyes, but the smoke from the tire fire is blinding too many of us.

It allllll depends on the ask.

For me and me only ... If Ullmark demands north of 5 mil. Per ... I let him go...

I’m just there yet, that he’s worth more than that. Plus I’m inherently allergic to dumping a lot of money into a goalie.

11 hours ago, Zamboni said:

It allllll depends on the ask.

For me and me only ... If Ullmark demands north of 5 mil. Per ... I let him go...

I’m just there yet, that he’s worth more than that. Plus I’m inherently allergic to dumping a lot of money into a goalie.

you've seen them with AHL level goaltending, correct?  its the most important position on the team. if it takes $5mill to get it done, so be it

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

you've seen them with AHL level goaltending, correct?  its the most important position on the team. if it takes $5mill to get it done, so be it

At some point, it’s not about getting what you want, it’s about what you need. We are going to need 2 goalies and we are going to have to pay what is required to do so 

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

At some point, it’s not about getting what you want, it’s about what you need. We are going to need 2 goalies and we are going to have to pay what is required to do so 

For me, it’s less salary, and more term that is terrifying.  Goalies are super important, but also their performance is super hard to project over the course of a few years.  So, from my point of view, it’s not that I’m unwilling to pay for quality goaltending, it’s that you very often do not actually get the goaltending that you are paying for.

Edited by Curt

1 minute ago, Curt said:

For me, it’s less salary, and more term that is terrifying.  Goalies are super important, but also their performance is super hard to project over the course of a few years.  So, from my point of view, it’s not that I’m unwilling to pay for quality goaltending, it’s that you very often do not actually get the goaltending that you are paying for.

Unless your in the 95% of goalie, you shouldn't get more than a 4 year deal. For Ullmark I would love a 3 year deal in the 4mil range. Maybe something like 4.45 for 3 years. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.