GDT: Flyers at Sabres 3-29-21. 7PM start

spndnchz

15 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Going for the NHL record tying loss...

Half way to eclipsing the losing streak, as defined by the NHL. We have 9 straight regulation losses, record is 17. DF50831D-49DD-42CA-8B53-7B0A99DEF2F6.thumb.jpeg.019aae83f36217e6114f5e1d2126c118.jpeg

NHL.com official standings has them at L9

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

There is fault with the Sabres for signing him, and fault with Skinner for being a freelancer.  I know Botts is gone, but the Pegula's signed off on the deal, Skinner is basically unmovable, and they are not buying him out unless a compliance buyout magically appears in the next year or two.

Therefore, is is really a better use of his skill set to be on the 4th line instead of the top 6?

Let’s get you on record here. Do you think the Pegulas should have stepped in and made a hockey decision over the wishes of general manager Jason Botterill. This is what you just said. Please confirm. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bryson's probably concussed. No need to push the guy in early on a dead season. 

I'm mixed on what I want to happen. On one hand I don't want my team to be the one with the longest winless streak ever, but on the other hand they deserve that and it might be the straw that breaks Pegula's back and we see the change we need. Reason to watch anyway. 

Buffalo Sabres PP% with Eichel: 29.8% (17/57)
Buffalo Sabres PP% without Eichel: 10.3% (3/29)

Historically, since Eichel's high ankle sprain in 2016:

Buffalo Sabres PP% with Eichel: 21.4% (182/850)
Buffalo Sabres PP% without EIchel : 17.1% (27/158)

Last 3 seasons only:

Buffalo Sabres PP% with Eichel: 20.8% (99/477)
Buffalo Sabres PP% without Eichel: 9.76% (4/41)

2016-17 through last year:

Buffalo Sabres PP% with Eichel: 20.8% (165/793)
Buffalo Sabres PP% without Eichel: 18.6% (24/129)

The gap is fairly small until it explodes this season. Weird

Edited by Randall Flagg

20 minutes ago, SDS said:

No they are not. They are winless in 17. The record is 17 regulation losses.

They have 17 losses. In regulation or not, the longest streak of consecutive losses in a single season is 18 by the Penguins in 2003-2004, during which they also recorded a point for an OT loss. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Hockey_League_longest_losing_streaks#Pointless_streaks

Edited by matter2003

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Do they look at numbers? I mean seriously. Olofsson is mediocre at best 5v5 and Skinner is actually pretty decent. 

I thought the same thing as I saw Skinner buried on the 4th line yet again.  He has been playing quite well since being benched, and has gotten a TON of prime scoring chances, as he has all year long.  They just aren't going in, though he has netted a couple.

Oloffson is a giant ZERO 5 on 5.  He offers good value to a team who wants to pump up their PP going into the playoffs and doesn't get paid very much.  Would love to see him offed by the deadline.

I have faith in our boys: they will find a way to lose. 

I think it would be fun to see this streak get to 20 and beyond.

46 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Hope Bryson is OK. Most likely concusssed by the looks of the hit he took as he stumbled forward head down.

There is no doubt he was woozy after that very awkward hit.  He was stumbling all the way to the tunnel heading for the dressing room.  I really felt bad for him; I've liked his game, that came at the end of another meaningless loss, and no one needs to slam their head into a guy's knee like that.  

3 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Nope.

What @Thornysaid.

Damn you!!, Thorny!!

Yes.  We can't make up rules that weren't there for teams that ended games with ties.  Those teams would have had the opportunity to win the games in OT just like the Sabre's had. You can't just assume they wouldn't have won and still count those as "winless" just because both teams earned a point when in fact the game counts as a loss for the Sabres.

Edited by matter2003

Just now, matter2003 said:

Yes.  We can't make up rules that weren't there for teams that ended games with ties.  Those teams would have had he opportunity to win the games in OT just like the Sabre's would have. You can't just assume they wouldn't have won and still count those as winless games.

The NHL is making the rules.  It is coming straight from the NHL.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yes.  We can't make up rules that weren't there for teams that ended games with ties.  Those teams would have had the opportunity to win the games in OT just like the Sabre's had. You can't just assume they wouldn't have won and still count those as "losses" just because both teams earned a point.

You can define it however you want to. I’m simply pointing out how the league officially records it 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

No. The record for consecutive losses, according to the NHL, is 17. The record for a winless streak is 30. That's what the Sabres are gunning for.

I don't like it, but the league gets the final say.

Even in ineptitude they manage to disappoint me.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

Carter Hart a healthy scratch.

·

4h

Seems like the Flyers are going to be giving Carter Hart a bit of a break, with the focus on him practicing to clean up elements of his game. He won't start tonight (not even dressing) and he won't start Wednesday. Will be working with Kim Dillabaugh over the next few days.

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

I thought the same thing as I saw Skinner buried on the 4th line yet again.  He has been playing quite well since being benched, and has gotten a TON of prime scoring chances, as he has all year long.  They just aren't going in, though he has netted a couple.

The number of posters who are sick of the Sabres just not being good enough, yet are OK with Skinner remains baffling.

On the bright side, he has increased his output by 50 % since Ralph was fired. If two goals to three floats your boat.

303494668_ScreenShot2021-03-29at9_32_37AM.thumb.png.5e852e752ea72e97bc3a947c421ed3e3.png

47 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Linus should be playing all the games the rest of this season and next.

He sure makes a difference.

Edited by dudacek
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.