Brawndo

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Honestly don't know what this means

It's in reference to this tweet

"Rob Zaenglein
@RobZaenglein
·
3h
It would obviously be a good thing but it's definitely peak dysfunction if the Pegula's go from as slim as possible to immediately reversing course and loading up instead of just gradually adding."

I was commenting on that quote which sounds like making changes is even more embarrassing. We have been at peak dysfunction all season and longer. Change is needed to start the road to recovery.

This one looks like it has legs: Karmanos, and someone more interesting than Karmanos on the way, with an expanded scouting staff coming as well. At least one of the moves being announced soon.

It really feels like Adams got approval for a plan that started with Krueger's firing and he is in the process of knocking down the moves one-by-one.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Nice! Getting my hopes up. 

Watch Chad have this first, again. 

Honestly quickly becoming my most trusted Sabres twitter source/news breaker 

Interesting.  I have not held this opinion of CDD, but I'm certainly open to being swayed that way if today's tweets prove out.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Just turn everything over to Dudley and let us all regain hope over the summer. 

Come on Pegulas do it. You can make his salary back marketing the return of the headband. 

I've posted previously about how I was in the arena on '70s night when they brought a ton of guys back, and I was pretty close to Dudley, and he absolutely still looks like he could clean out a bar full of ruffians at 3:00 AM.

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This one looks like it has legs: Karmanos, and someone more interesting than Karmanos on the way, with an expanded scouting staff coming as well. At least one of the moves being announced soon.

It really feels like Adams got approval for a plan that started with Krueger's firing and he is in the process of knocking down the moves one-by-one.

Now this is a positive worldview that quickened my pulse.  I can see all of it, just over the rainbow...

• Like (+1) 4

My fantasy is all the NHL owners are due to go in for a meeting. Pegula goes to walk in the door and one of the other owners turns to him and says ‘sorry, this is a meeting for people who own NHL clubs’ and all the other owners laugh at him.

This humiliation humbles him and sparks him to do whatever it takes to win the Stanley cup, including getting his grubby mitts out of the pie, just to avenge his derision.

Edited by Trettioåtta
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I find this all extremely interesting.  I would love to add Karmanos, who I think is a good get, and someone else with GM experience in an advisory role.  And then those guys together build out the scouting and analytics staffs.

Chad D is generally on point with his info, so I’m optimistic.

Just now, JimS said:

Just to add, Rutherford fired Karmanos in Pittsburgh, for what it's worth.

I don't think that is the case though.  I think I heard that Karmanos was fired over Rutherford's objection and that might've been the reason for Rutherford's sudden resignation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I don't think that is the case though.  I think I heard that Karmanos was fired over Rutherford's objection and that might've been the reason for Rutherford's sudden resignation.

That’s my understanding.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Just for poops and giggles -- if it is Karmanos plus Rutherford...

Kevyn Adams was with the Hurricanes from 2002 to 2007.

Karmanos was with the Hurricanes from 1998 to 2013.

Rutherford was with the Hurricanes from 1994 to 2014.

Rod Brind'amour, probably the most highly regarded young coach in the NHL, and maybe the Chuck Norris of NHL coaches, which is EXACTLY what the Sabres are dying for, whose contract is up after this season, and who is one of the lowest-paid coaches in the NHL, and who works for one of the biggest cheapskates in the NHL, has been with Hurricanes since 1999.

Oh, and by the way?  Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane, who have delivered unto TP an elite NFL franchise, are both alumni of Carolina's NFL team.

The Sabres might not get him, but if CDD is right, and 2 real guys are joining the Sabres, and if those 2 guys are Karmanos and Rutherford -- don't even try to tell me that Rod isn't #1 with a bullet on their list, and that they don't have carte blanche from TP to pay whatever it costs to get him.

It might happen.

Friedman reported last night that Carolina is close to an extension with Rod. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Every article I see reads like Rutherford fired him after "evaluating our Hockey Operations department", his direct quote.

Fired October 26th, 2020, Rutherford resigned January 28th. It may have been a part of why he resigned, but not THE reason. It does seem they are very close personally.

Edited by JimS

37 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Friedman reported last night that Carolina is close to an extension with Rod. 

Hope he's getting a raise from his 600K!!

He should leave just because they've criminally underpaid him all these years. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JimS said:

Just to add, Rutherford fired Karmanos in Pittsburgh, for what it's worth.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

1 hour ago, SDS said:

That’s my understanding.

The stuff I've read seems to indicate he was forced to fire him.

My reading between the lines, is that it was a big straw for Jim in Pittsburgh, and the final straw was request to trade a core player, likely Letang.

You may come to different conclusions, but that was mine after reading these article on top of other bits and pieces.

https://theathletic.com/2454397/2021/03/16/former-penguins-gm-jim-rutherford-on-his-disappointing-departure-marc-andre-fleury-phil-kessel-and-more/?article_source=search&search_query=Jim rutherford

https://theathletic.com/2414297/2021/02/26/jim-rutherford-nhl-penguins/?article_source=search&search_query=Jim rutherford

https://theathletic.com/2269142/2021/01/08/pittsburgh-penguins-gm-jim-rutherford-covid-19/?article_source=search&search_query=Jim rutherford

https://theathletic.com/2163244/2020/10/27/jason-karmanos-fired-pittsburgh-penguins-news/?article_source=search&search_query=karmanos

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

They started the Podcast but mentioning that this season may have been the best thing that happened to the organization as the things completely fell apart and the Pegulas were embarrassed to the point where a complete course correction was necessary. And this disaster of a year might have saved the immediate future of franchise. 

Rutherford would bring the team and more importantly Adams an opening into contacts around the league from GMs and Agents and HC Candidates.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

• Brawndo changed the title to Rumor:Jim Rutherford and Jason Karmanos Possibility Joining Sabres Hockey Operations

I typed this on another site so I’ll put it here too.  A general recap of the podcast:

on his podcast he says Karmanos is coming but Rutherford is in negotiations to come in in a senior advisor role. The negotiations are about the Pegulas stepping aside and letting Rutherford and Adams run the hockey dept. Also said he heard apparently that there are more people joining the front office but he didn’t have names yet. He said Adams would still be GM and make the hockey decisions.  

I think Rutherford, Karmanos+ would be a home run. They desperately need vet. Experience and respectability around Adams. He mentioned that he heard it from one source then an NHL scout he speaks to said the rumour around the NHL is that it is a Rutherford-Karmanos package to Buffalo. He said Rutherford doesn’t want to commit to multiple years until he sees ho the relationship with the Pegulas goes. Probably got burned by Penguins ownership which led him to quitting there.

stated that Rutherford has contacts with everyone from League officials to agents, to players to coaches and would be huge for helping with the coaching search.

To summarize: Karmanos is a go, Rutherford is negotiating, put it at about 80%, and that other people will be joining as well.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.