Official Jason Karmanos Hired as Sabres Associate GM

Brawndo

26 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

If this Sabres team gets turned into a cup contender, considering that they are in last place by a mile, and have been in last place before since the tank ended, it will be because of moves that haven't been made yet, not because of the tank, 3 last place finishes ago lmao 

Also, I'm pretty sure Chad said "next couple weeks" so we will be within his window for another ~8 days before I start to wonder/worry

It depends how vital a role Jack plays and the extent to which you can argue he could have been replaced. It wouldn’t be a cut and dry thing, realistically. It would just be a big “what if”, could they have gotten there without Jack and therefore tanking to get him or would they even maybe have won it sooner? 

I don’t think there’s much provable here imo 

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman mentioned that Karmanos is doing His Due Diligence and checking around the league to get more background on the Sabres Organization. 

NFW he comes now 

Also Adams is interviewing other candidates as well, he does not have any names 

Season 2 GIF by The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Friedman mentioned that Karmanos is doing His Due Diligence and checking around the league to get more background on the Sabres Organization. 

NFW he comes now 

Unfortunately I'm not sure our owners have not screwed this franchise up so that qualified and experienced people don't want to dead end their careers coming to work for them. Money is important but so is your future career after this gig. I'm thinking the Pegulas may not have the confidence of a lot of hockey people.

52 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

NFW he comes now 

Well that seems bad

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

NFW he comes now 

Good for him.  I'd check with every former employee in the hockey front office since the Pegula's have taken ownership of the team.

...and then I'd double check with my agent to see if there are any equal positions with any other team in the league.

Don't blame him one bit.

My best guess is Karmanos will still come barring some absurd job offer elsewhere. The owners may run a chaotic mess of an organization but they are well-intentioned. If Adams can truly convince the Pegulas to take a step back; you have a great fanbase, and a number of great pieces to work with. Plus while the Pegulas have been cheap recently, I think a solid strategy would get them more willing to open their wallet.

18 minutes ago, Curt said:

You guys realize that this Rutherford rumor is only 4 days old, right?

There have been rumors of me getting a new job for longer than that, and it hasn’t quite happened yet either.

Just chill and let this stuff play out.

You, I, and a handful of others can do that. Others needed this to happen 3 days ago. Their nerves are shot. 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Curt said:

You guys realize that this Rutherford rumor is only 4 days old, right?

There have been rumors of me getting a new job for longer than that, and it hasn’t quite happened yet either.

Just chill and let this stuff play out.

Attention spans, man.

What is Rutherford’s contract status with Pittsburgh? Can he even go anywhere until the offseason? Those can be tricky, especially with how Rutherford left.

Guys like Karmanos, Hunter, Futa, whoever Adams is interviewing could come in soon but there may be people he wants to look at in the offseason when contracts run out. Maybe someone comes in soon and they add more in the offseason.

Edited by Flashsabre

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

You, I, and a handful of others can do that. Others needed this to happen 3 days ago. Their nerves are shot. 😂

Not the problem. When someone (who's been pretty accurate) puts out there that it's all but done, and then goes silent? Kind of annoying. Twitter really sucks.

12 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

My best guess is Karmanos will still come barring some absurd job offer elsewhere. The owners may run a chaotic mess of an organization but they are well-intentioned. If Adams can truly convince the Pegulas to take a step back; you have a great fanbase, and a number of great pieces to work with. Plus while the Pegulas have been cheap recently, I think a solid strategy would get them more willing to open their wallet.

For the most part I agree. I do think the Pegulas are well intentioned but I don't know how hands off or on they are. I suspect they've been hands on the past three years anyway. The franchise is in need of rebuild of management whether with Adams as GM or not. Most higher level qualified guys will want authority over what their responsibility is. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I think they are waiting for Rutherford to decide.

Karmanos seems like a done deal 

They could also be finalizing other members besides the two that were mentioned and want to announce them all at once 

Hoping this is the case. The longer this goes those doubts crawl in though.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, French Collection said:

Interesting.

I have a friend who knows Hunter and he says he recently interviewed for the Penguins GM job.

Built a successful junior franchise. Was an assistant to Lou with the Leafs.

Cool, can you ask him if he is interviewing for a job in Buffalo?😜

4 hours ago, Radar said:

Hoping this is the case. The longer this goes those doubts crawl in though.

Not sure why folks want Rutherford in here.  He's past his prime by a lot.

I do like the idea of bringing in more minds, which is essential.

But there are other, better options out there IMO.

5 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Depends on what he's hired for. KA and Karmanos player related and Rutherford more operation oversight as I would envision a POH to be.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I think he would merely be a senior advisor. Effectively come here and help right the ship, use his many connections and the like without him having to work a Full-time position.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Yeah, his work with the penguins the past 2-3 years was a little questionable, but he won back to back cups with them just 4-5 years ago.

Plus, I don’t think the idea would be for him to be the primary guy making decisions on players.  He would be more of an advisor/overseer, helping to get this organization running properly.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.