Official Jason Karmanos Hired as Sabres Associate GM

Brawndo

33 minutes ago, phil_soisson said:

Great! Another Pittsburgh reject to follow in the footsteps of Bylsma and Botteril, just to have someone help out the totally unqualified Buffalo Junior Sabres Kmart GM. You watch now,...promising guys like Borgen and Bryson, who finally made it up, will be shipped out so the "new guy" can put his stamp on the product. The ownership of this operation is toxic! It's tangible. You can feel it when you walk in the building. Fortune will not change until they sell, and are long gone. Til then, embrace the sucktitude!

Oh come on... just between you and me, what do you REALLY think?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Quick question, what exactly will Adams be doing with Karmanos managing the Amerks, Scouting, Player Development and Analytics Departments. Part of me wonders if Adams hopes to become more of President of Hockey Ops versus a classic GM.

Future state is Adams could “move up” to Hockey Operations, more business side and contracts, league meetings,etc.  Karmanos will be the more traditional hockey GM possibly.  If they bring in the senior guru type then their current titles hold.  

They need to keep adding to the front office.  Especially scouting.  

• Like (+1) 2

I just feel like the tide is finally turning.

I feel like TPegs meant well and thought he knew more than he did, and that KA finally convinced him otherwise, and that TPegs trusts KA to run the hockey team.  I just home he doesn't get bored with sitting on the sidelines.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

maybe Adams main job going forward will just be acting as the buffer/translator for the Pegulas? A layer to keep them from meddling directly with the hockey guy making the moves. They trust him so he explains, justifies etc. like a diplomat.  That's kind of my hope. 

The direct line to Terry and Kim is already part of it for Adams.  Karmanos so far has Rochester, scouting, and player development.   Adams still has a big load with responsibilities for the roster (draft, trades, etc), coaching, contracts/cap, and league matters.  Bringing a third person, one with senior experience,  will help.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, phil_soisson said:

Great! Another Pittsburgh reject to follow in the footsteps of Bylsma and Botteril, just to have someone help out the totally unqualified Buffalo Junior Sabres Kmart GM. You watch now,...promising guys like Borgen and Bryson, who finally made it up, will be shipped out so the "new guy" can put his stamp on the product. The ownership of this operation is toxic! It's tangible. You can feel it when you walk in the building. Fortune will not change until they sell, and are long gone. Til then, embrace the sucktitude!

I think Rutherford coming aboard, and with it the guarantee of the staff having autonomy would go a long way. People do change it just requires exceptional circumstances, perhaps embarrassment was the answer for the Pegulas. 

I like the Karmanos hire very much, his experienced background has the Pens connection but other than that it's not the same old "USNDTP USHL NCAA" blueprint which we so often seem to follow. 

It's hopeful, I'd just like to see Rutherford too. 

11 hours ago, Doohickie said:

With the injury situation this season I don't think convincing anyone associated with this team that we need goaltending help is gonna be a problem.

We'll see! The need was abundantly obvious last offseason as well. I remember a ton of "well, who could he have even brought in? The cost must have been too high!" in opposition to me when I kept bringing it up. 

I'll say it again - I don't care what the market is, the market is the market - we must pay the required cost to upgrade the position, that's it, that's all. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I think Rutherford coming aboard, and with it the guarantee of the staff having autonomy would go a long way. People do change it just requires exceptional circumstances, perhaps embarrassment was the answer for the Pegulas. 

I like the Karmanos hire very much, his experienced background has the Pens connection but other than that it's not the same old "USNDTP USHL NCAA" blueprint which we so often seem to follow. 

It's hopeful, I'd just like to see Rutherford too. 

We'll see! The need was abundantly obvious last offseason as well. I remember a ton of "well, who could he have even brought in? The cost must have been too high!" in opposition to me when I kept bringing it up. 

I'll say it again - I don't care what the market is, the market is the market - we must pay the required cost to upgrade the position, that's it, that's all. 

To Karmanos: agree w/ that.  Additionally, he may help make navigating the Seattle draft easier as he likely has a good relationship w/ Ron Francis.  It won't cause Ronny to do anything crazy, but could help at the fringes & that could result in the Sabres effectively & efficiently protecting 4D while still actually protecting 7Fs.

As to goaltending and the lack of a move.  Realize you don't agree, but really believe he had a deal essentially worked out for an upgrade to Hutton but couldn't get the trigger pulled before the season start was delayed beyond December & then when the taxi squads were announced the deal fell apart as nobody had to waive their 3rd goalie.  Absolutely agree he should've added to one of the near deals to get it finalized before the taxi squad became a reality, but don't agree that it is the same quality of failure as Botterill never upgrading the D nor taking any other swings at 2C than Berglund & Johansson.  Yes, it IS a failure & yes it doomed the season, but no, absolutely do not expect that same mistake to happen again.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

To Karmanos: agree w/ that.  Additionally, he may help make navigating the Seattle draft easier as he likely has a good relationship w/ Ron Francis.  It won't cause Ronny to do anything crazy, but could help at the fringes & that could result in the Sabres effectively & efficiently protecting 4D while still actually protecting 7Fs.

As to goaltending and the lack of a move.  Realize you don't agree, but really believe he had a deal essentially worked out for an upgrade to Hutton but couldn't get the trigger pulled before the season start was delayed beyond December & then when the taxi squads were announced the deal fell apart as nobody had to waive their 3rd goalie.  Absolutely agree he should've added to one of the near deals to get it finalized before the taxi squad became a reality, but don't agree that it is the same quality of failure as Botterill never upgrading the D nor taking any other swings at 2C than Berglund & Johansson.  Yes, it IS a failure & yes it doomed the season, but no, absolutely do not expect that same mistake to happen again.

No, I do agree w/all that. It’s just not relevant to me that he “almost” had a deal, that’s all. 

It wont be at Botterill 2C level until he whiffs again 

• Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Wonder if Karmanos couldn't be brought in until they cleared roughly 1 million bucks from trading Hall (prorating his remaining money). 

Would really doubt it.  Haven't seen how much natural gas prices are up in the past quarter, but with gasoline up close to $1.00/gal have to believe profits from NG are up.  Between that, the new NFL TV deal, plans to have Rich Stadium full in the fall, & the primary NHL TV package getting approved, have a hard time believing the fears about ownership's cash flows from last summer are still germane.

If your fear had merit, we've got much bigger issues as fans of this club.  But, it also counters the rumors we're hearing about expanding the scouting department & FO.  So, really doubt that was a factor.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Wonder if Karmanos couldn't be brought in until they cleared roughly 1 million bucks from trading Hall (prorating his remaining money). 

It may have more to do with Karmanos doing his due diligence or even potentially related to departure from Pittsburgh technically happening in this league year. 

Just now, Thorny said:

Ya but you forgot about their LiQuIDiTy

Yeah, but you forgot about accounts receivable being an excellent source of collateral when looking for a ST loan (if there is even need for 1).

And NG being up increases their immediate liquidity as they likely have some producing fields (pretty sure they do, but haven't looked for that info in close to 1 year) and the TV deals give them stable future revenue streams.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Taro T said:

Yeah, but you forgot about accounts receivable being an excellent source of collateral when looking for a ST loan (if there is even need for 1).

And NG being up increases their immediate liquidity as they likely have some producing fields (pretty sure they do, but haven't looked for that info in close to 1 year) and the TV deals give them stable future revenue streams.

I deleted it cause I don’t know very much about that type of stuff lol. I just have always found that argument to be a little sceptical 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

I deleted it cause I don’t know very much about that type of stuff lol. I just have always found that argument to be a little sceptical 

Well, considering all the hand wringing about them having an internal $72MM cap turned out to be totally unfounded, there is that.  😉

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, considering all the hand wringing about them having an internal $72MM cap turned out to be totally unfounded, there is that.  😉

So liquidity shouldn’t have been an issue and like you said the unfounded 72m thing, I get the idea they cut so much spending because they thought it was unnecessary, rather than it being an issue of feasibility. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I don’t see how this makes sense.  We aren’t talking about someone making huge money by NHL personnel standards.  This guy almost certainly makes less than the lowest paid player on the NHL roster.

Edited by Curt

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.