Official Jason Karmanos Hired as Sabres Associate GM

Brawndo

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Rutherford is the proxy for Terry info innit?

I believe the scuttlebutt was Rutherford would only come if Terry butted out. I heard no such caveat attached to Karmanos.

Hope this is the first of several hires to build out the front office again.

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Chad mentions Scott Luce as another candidate. He is currently Director of Amateur Scouting for Vegas. His contract is up this year. 

That would be interesting. The Knights 2017 draft was excellent... until they traded most of it but still. 

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Associate per Dreger 

Thanks.  That’s probably good.

On one hand it’s sort of just a title, but on the other it’s an indication of how much power/responsibility he will have.  Karmanos is a guy who is a borderline GM candidate.  Someone who is more qualified than Adams himself, so I want him to have serious influence.

I expect Karmanos to take over revamping the analytics and scouting department.  Something he did in both Carolina and Pittsburgh.

Also, as a guy with 20 years of high level FO experience, I’m sure he has lots of useful contacts and relationships around the league.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Curt said:

Thanks.  That’s probably good.

On one hand it’s sort of just a title, but on the other it’s an indication of how much power/responsibility he will have.  Karmanos is a guy who is a borderline GM candidate.  Someone who is more qualified than Adams himself, so I want him to have serious influence.

I expect Karmanos to take over revamping the analytics and scouting department.  Something he did in both Carolina and Pittsburgh.

Also, as a guy with 20 years of high level FO experience, I’m sure he has lots of useful contacts and relationships around the league.

He was instrumental in laying the groundwork for what is now the Carolina Hurricanes Analytics Department and set up Pittsburgh’s as well. Adams wants to expand the Sabres Department as well. This hiring is a positive sign of that being accomplished.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Associate per Dreger 

Associate "TO THE" GM?

Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I believe the scuttlebutt was Rutherford would only come if Terry butted out. I heard no such caveat attached to Karmanos.

Hope this is the first of several hires to build out the front office again.

I hope Terry butts out.  That's going to right the ship more than anything.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Does an assistant GM warrant this much excitement? I think it's going to take Rutherford to make me schwing.

In this case yes because KA now has an experienced front office guy working with him. Rutherford I see more as an organizational advisory role.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This looks like a good move, and a good sign that the FO will be built back up to NHL standards.

Obviously it's too soon to start declaring victory, but wouldn't it be wild if years from now we're talking about how the Sabres being horrible way longer than planned ended up being their saving grace?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• Brawndo changed the title to Official Jason Karmanos Hired as Sabres Associate GM
1 hour ago, Thwomp! said:

Associate "TO THE" GM?

Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

I hope Terry butts out.  That's going to right the ship more than anything.

I have to respond to this. The problem isn’t Terry butting out. It is having strong enough  people to listen to his view point and tell him he’s wrong or that they want to go another direction.

McDermott did this when TPEGS wanted Mahommes.(maybe we wish he didn’t there). Kevyn did it regarding UPL. Terry loves him but Adams convinced him he’s at least a year if not two away.

These are multi million/ billion companies. The owner is going to have an opinion and wants to be treated right. We all have bosses to one degree or other. Sometimes you have to make them think that something is really their decision.

I remember Marv Levy talking about the advice Mary Wilson gave him upon his hire. Just talk to Ralph and listen, or words something to that effect.

One last thing, I expect there to be several more hires although by statute, some won’t be announced till after the draft.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.