Official Jason Karmanos Hired as Sabres Associate GM

Brawndo

If the rumours are all true, Rutherfords primary benefit to the Sabres would be as a big enough name to only agree to join if the Pegulas keep their hands out. Once he has achieved the space needed, he should put his feet up and relax - simply be on hand to bounce ideas about etc

13 hours ago, Trettioåtta said:

If the rumours are all true, Rutherfords primary benefit to the Sabres would be as a big enough name to only agree to join if the Pegulas keep their hands out. Once he has achieved the space needed, he should put his feet up and relax - simply be on hand to bounce ideas about etc

I think that’d sort of be the idea in an advisory role but I’d also like him to give Adams some direction. He’s had success in two very different situations.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Trettioåtta said:

Is a 72 year old Rutherford minus Pegula better than no Rutherford but with Pegula?

Maybe, perhaps probably, but we can do so much better.

2 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Is a 72 year old Rutherford minus Pegula better than no Rutherford but with Pegula?

How many 'better' people want to come for Buffalo. If they're that good, they might wait for a different opportunity.  League perception might be you get 2 years and then you're gone.

7 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

The answer to your difficult to understand question is definitely yes.

Are you seriously wondering who the Sabres are better off having involved in hockey decisions, Terry Pegula or Jim Rutherford?

I get people questioning a few of Rutherford’s moves, but this is getting silly.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

I was talking to some folks connected to past Sabres.  The feelings towards Adams are not very positive.  While Adams is thought to be a bright and likable guy, his bowing to Pegula’s cost cutting has caused him to lose much credibility.  Many of the hockey front office and scouts that were let go are still on contract, therefore important positions unfilled, yet people getting paid anyway.  The fact the Adams could not steer Pegula into smarter decisions regarding the layoffs, as well as more clarity on how unqualified Ralph was as a HC, has cost Adams credibility.  

There are several that feel Pegula is setting the team up for sale.   The massive cutting of operating costs will hopefully attract a buyer.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I was talking to some folks connected to past Sabres.  The feelings towards Adams are not very positive.  While Adams is thought to be a bright and likable guy, his bowing to Pegula’s cost cutting has caused him to lose much credibility.  Many of the hockey front office and scouts that were let go are still on contract, therefore important positions unfilled, yet people getting paid anyway.  The fact the Adams could not steer Pegula into smarter decisions regarding the layoffs, as well as more clarity on how unqualified Ralph was as a HC, has cost Adams credibility.  

There are several that feel Pegula is setting the team up for sale.   The massive cutting of operating costs will hopefully attract a buyer.  

Could you imagine that? That would have to be the most embarrassing ownership performance (outside if scandal or brief stints) in sports history. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

There are several that feel Pegula is setting the team for sale.   The massive cutting of operating costs will hopefully attract a buyer.  

Can anyone give an explanation for the bolded?  Assuming this is true, why would they fire people who will need to be paid anyway if the object of the firings was to cut expenses?

Also, it should come as no surprise that a guy who was the public face of a mass firing did not gain any popularity from the exercise.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

This does not pass the smell test.

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Any news yet?  Probably waiting until after the deadline.  Why get Kevyn some help at one of the most critical times of the year?

I know.  They should have help here now.

Maybe he's not hiring any AGM but he's interviewing people for the spot, "If you got this job, name two trades you would propose."  😛

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I know.  They should have help here now.

Maybe he's not hiring any AGM but he's interviewing people for the spot, "If you got this job, name two trades you would propose."  😛

Applicant: “Answers.....”

Kevy: (Scribbling furiously) “Sorry, could you repeat that last part.....actually, here, can you just write it down for me?” (Hands over pen and pad)

• Haha (+1) 5

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Any news yet?  Probably waiting until after the deadline.  Why get Kevyn some help at one of the most critical times of the year?

Something makes me think if this rumored hire was true it would have happened. Usually once a legit source reports something it goes down pretty quickly. Not going on two weeks later. Not saying it won't happen but at this point I'd be surprised. As far as the coaching position I see that happening post season.

1 minute ago, Radar said:

Something makes me think if this rumored hire was true it would have happened. Usually once a legit source reports something it goes down pretty quickly. Not going on two weeks later. Not saying it won't happen but at this point I'd be surprised. As far as the coaching position I see that happening post season.

...and if it doesn’t happen at all, the first thing that comes to mind...what happened?

1 minute ago, Radar said:

Something makes me think if this rumored hire was true it would have happened. Usually once a legit source reports something it goes down pretty quickly. Not going on two weeks later. Not saying it won't happen but at this point I'd be surprised.

A lot of good observations here.

On the other hand, Chad did make it clear that these were ongoing discussions and that there was a desire to make multiple hires and announce them en masse.

What I've been watching with interest is the lack of any talk from the big boys like Friedman and Lebrun on this front. They chase smoke, and if one would think they would have chased Chad's report.

They seem tight with Rutherford and I wonder if they've been asked to sit on this for now in exchange for futures.

• Thanks (+1) 2

On 4/2/2021 at 7:26 PM, Trettioåtta said:

seems like a waste of money

3 hours ago, Radar said:

I don't consider Chad D. a legit source, even though a lot of Sabres fans seem to follow this guy for whatever reason.  He has gotten a few things right in the past, but he gets a lot of things wrong too.

Having said that, other *real* NHL sources have mentioned the name Karmanos in passing, but I often wonder if they say these things just because they hear them as well and want to sound informed.

I'm pretty sure Elliotte Friedman mentions Karmanos on one of his visits with The Instigators for example, but kind of in passing, like "he's hearing it might be him" etc.

I agree that if this report came from a solid source with a real leak, they probably would have hired the guy by now, right? 

I mean, get him in there and let him start helping with the GM search and a million other things that are going to need to be address this year.  Don't forget the expansion draft, to name 1!

21 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I mean, get him in there and let him start helping with the GM search and a million other things that are going to need to be address this year.  Don't forget the expansion draft, to name 1!

What gm search?

We've seen a few references on here to Rutherford still being under contract.

Can any business lawyers explain how that works? Is it likely he had a clause in his contract that allowed him to quit but restrains him from taking work elsewhere?

41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We've seen a few references on here to Rutherford still being under contract.

Can any business lawyers explain how that works? Is it likely he had a clause in his contract that allowed him to quit but restrains him from taking work elsewhere?

Perhaps it has to do with him resigning versus being fired?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.