Official Jason Karmanos Hired as Sabres Associate GM

Brawndo

1 hour ago, SDS said:

The best thing about the other guys is that they are whoever we pretend they are.

Rick Dudley, Mike Gillis, Eric Tulsky leaving Carolina to join the Sabres and after watching Justice League, Adams using a mother box to bring Sam Pollock back to life and help lead the front office.😁

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

This really looks to me like this is something Adams has engineered, rather than had handed to him. It also seems like Karmanos would be his assistant and Rutherford his advisor, so any overrruling would be coming from Kevyn.

Always two there are. A GM... and an apprentice. Once you start rolling in the third... folks start getting their limbs lopped off. Or just cut in half and needing spider droid leg assemblies.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I’m good with any hockey operations consultant/president type as long as the line of demarcation with ownership is clear. The owners can have final say on any ethical/moral standings [edit: and yes, the total budget for the team - either to the cap or "I just want to make a little extra cash on the side"], but I don’t want them involved in any day-to-day personnel operations, player salary determinations, trade valuations, or any scouting/hiring practices. Leave that to the hockey people that you hate.

For example, if a player drunkenly drives his vehicle into … I dunno, a Tim Hortons or something, and flees the scene: then yes, the owner is well within their rights to say: “Unacceptable actions detrimental to the team. Move this player immediately.”  What the owner cannot be allowed to say is, two years later after a moral incident, after very solid statistical campaigns as arguably far-and-away the best overall player on the team, when due a roster bonus, “Move this person immediately before payment for utter garbage that will cripple our franchise for years.” Then no. The owner is not acting with any interest to the franchise. And that’s where a hockey person and trusted team take the lead. They wait another day and then make the trade, money be damned. Or even better, they say, “Hey --- everybody go enjoy the offseason. This season ended poorly. We get it. Go rest up, and come back ready to go.”

Likewise, we can call this the “Ehrhoff Principle” – an owner is welcome to say, “Did you see Player X in the recent Stanley Cup/Olympics/World Juniors? We gotta sign/trade for/draft him and that’s an order! And if we sign, it’s gotta be the biggest money so that everyone know we mean business and Buffalo has cash available. Look, a squirrel!” To which the hockey people need to be able, willing, and incentivized to say: “Thank you. We’ll take that under advisement.” And then make a fair market valuation, do scouting diligence, and make a reasonable inquiry. And be well prepared to offer Ehrhoff $4M x 6, or say “Leino, wanna play wing for $3M x 5?”, or trade Skinner at the deadline, or get a goalie with functioning eyes and stick with Kahun and a grinder… heck, even Wayne Simmonds vs. signing Taylor Hall, or any of the poor personnel/contract decisions that’ve been made that had to have been approved/pushed for by the owners.

tl;dr   Let people do the job you hired them to do.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, inkman said:

I have no problem with Chad.  I do have a problem with this weird desire to have information first.  I don’t care who reports things or when they report them.  

I mean that’s how the entire industry works. Be right then be first.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Always two there are. A GM... and an apprentice. Once you start rolling in the third... folks start getting their limbs lopped off. Or just cut in half and needing spider droid leg assemblies.

You, good soul, are one of many of the reasons I love this forum.

"Watch hockey players with swords on their crest this evening I will, apprentice work do I must afterward. Chat I will while doing both." 🙂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I mean that’s how the entire industry works. Be right then be first.

Unfortunately, a lot of people on that industry think it's, "Be first and hope you are right and if not, who cares?"

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

If you think Adams, is an energetic agile thinker with vision, who can lead, but lacks knowledge adn connections, and Rutherford is a font of knowledge and connections, with reduced energy and vision, then you have the makings of a pretty good team if they work well together.

You would hope Karmanos and the mysterious "other guys" can supply a healthy dose of administrative structure and the talent evaluation.

Mark Wahlberg GIF

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m not talking about reporters, if that’s what we’re calling him.  I’m talking about fanboi posters who worship these clowns. 

So you just don’t like that we get information so soon?  You would rather not hear anything about it until it actually happens?  Is that the jist of it?  Honestly trying to understand why you are bothered that some on this board like to get information about the Buffalo Sabres.

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Unfortunately, a lot of people on that industry think it's, "Be first and hope you are right and if not, who cares?"

That’s mostly the fault of the consumer. In sports a lot of people (myself included) love all the inside stuff. I love hearing about negotiations as they take place. Those negotiations fall apart a lot and sometimes reporters get used by agents/teams to push certain agendas in negotiations. Sometimes it’s impossible but others we need to be better at deciphering what’s happening.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Hoss said:

That’s mostly the fault of the consumer. In sports a lot of people (myself included) love all the inside stuff. I love hearing about negotiations as they take place. Those negotiations fall apart a lot and sometimes reporters get used by agents/teams to push certain agendas in negotiations. Sometimes it’s impossible but others we need to be better at deciphering what’s happening.

Then you have Eklund: “Sabres Trading Reinhart and Dahlin for McDavid.”

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Then you have Eklund: “Sabres Trading Reinhart and Dahlin for McDavid.”

Eklund is like all those weird Facebook websites your racist uncle shares that everyone with half a brain realizes is completely fabricated yet somehow still sneaks into the conversation here and there.

8 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Eklund is like all those weird Facebook websites your racist uncle shares that everyone with half a brain realizes is completely fabricated yet somehow still sneaks into the conversation here and there.

He used to be quoted all the time here. Now the only time he’s ever brought up is once or twice a year. I assumed he was gone.

27 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Tage and Mitts cannot handle NHL crunch time yet.

But the amount they can handle in the NHL is slowly increasing.

They should both still be in Roch.   They're in over their heads right now and are on the verge of nervous breakdowns due to the losing and their role in it..  i fear permanent brain damage.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, pi2000 said:

They should both still be in Roch.   They're in over their heads right now and are on the verge of nervous breakdowns due to the losing and their role in it..  i fear permanent brain damage.

I disagree. They still have a way to go but they're both playing much better than they used to.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He's a business man first and foremost. Harold Ballard said he was a Leaf's fan but ran that team into the ground for years because he was still making a buck. 

so the 'no salary cap' on scouting and other things he said about the purpose of the team is to win championships was just BS?

18 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He's a business man first and foremost. Harold Ballard said he was a Leaf's fan but ran that team into the ground for years because he was still making a buck. 

Harold Ballard is not the ownership comparison we want.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, pi2000 said:

True.  Sad thing is Bots had both of them on the NHL roster after that pitiful ROR trade.  They still aren’t quite ready.  Last night they were key contributors to the loss because the vets are so terrible.  

1 hour ago, mphs mike said:

I keep remembering that there is only one team Bowman didn't take to the Finals

True.  But he retooled the team, drafted a couple HOF players and put a very competitive team out there.   The team was fun to watch.  The Islanders were loaded and better than everyone else, then came Edmonton with another dynasty ... 

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

so the 'no salary cap' on scouting and other things he said about the purpose of the team is to win championships was just BS?

Harold Ballard is not the ownership comparison we want.

Dude. He was a brand new owner and that was 10 years ago. For better or worse, life has changed.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.