Official Jason Karmanos Hired as Sabres Associate GM

Brawndo

26 minutes ago, inkman said:

I have no problem with Chad.  I do have a problem with this weird desire to have information first.  I don’t care who reports things or when they report them.  

You’re not in journalism.  If you start breaking news first you get more regular clicks and followers which equals $$$

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

When KA was hired, TP still felt he was in charge.  The team had just finished the first year with the new coach and some credible vets were brought in.  I think KA tried to do his master's bidding but it just wasn't working.  RFK had already lost the room; I think Hall/Staal/Eakin/Irwin/Rieder never bought into the system because the system sucked. 

In order for KA to get TP to agree to change things, he had to do is level best to make things work, then when they didn't he brought the case to TP and got the okay for his plan forward.  I think KA understands TP as an insider, as one of his guys, and knew he needed to go through this process before TP would finally relent, if he has indeed done so (the Krueger firing was only one step, setting up hockey operations independent of ownership is the real goal).

If this is how it plays out then I give KA a lot of credit.  He played the long game and it might just work.

I don't think that is true with Hall, he knew exactly what he was getting into. His reason for signing here was because of Ralph, he played for him in Edmonton

3 minutes ago, Derrico said:

You’re not in journalism.  If you start breaking news first you get more regular clicks and followers which equals $$$

Yup, thats what its all about today, be the first to break the story

If your the first one reporting it, your going to get the clicks/ratings that bring the $$$

1 hour ago, inkman said:

The problem is they didn’t pull the rip cord fast enough.  They let this team twist in the wind this whole season when it was clear it was a dead team walking. 

I don’t necessarily think bringing in Karmanos and or Rutherford a couple months ago would have done much for the Sabres this season.  This is more important in terms of long term organization building than in terms of this season’s results.

Although I think these moves are overdue and should bring results quicker to be fair the team was at least competitive until the New Jersey Covid outbreak and the injuries piled up and then the organizations lack of depth really decimated the team. If this rumor is true it is 10 years in the making and hopefully will move the team in the correct direction. I like Granato, so I hope he continues with the team in some capacity.

Edited by jsb
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If we add Rutherford and Karmanos the Sabres (& Bills) transformation in Carolina North will be complete and that is likely a good thing.  

If we hire both it takes a huge amount of pressure off the coaching hire.  The odds with these guys in the front office of hiring the wrong HC again are dramatically decreased, but who is our Brind’Amour?  Grier? Someone else? 

The hiring of these two also change the perception of the organization for years to come.  It makes us a professional organization again.  My guess to helps settle Jack.  It also helps make sure KA does his job correctly and gets good return at the deadline.  My guess is we could see a 50% turnover in the roster by opening day next season.  

Ok players time to earn your job for next season. 

Hire the wrong coach? LOL the average coach in the NHL is employed for under three years. They are all wrong, except for the year or two that they aren’t. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Curt said:

This would be spectacular.  Not just because Rutherford would be great help to Adams, but also because this could be a sign that Pegula actually sees the need to take a step back. That feels like the single most important thing for this organization moving forward.

I didn't mind firing a lot of scouts and staff when they leaned out the organization.  The team was hemorrhaging money, and I don't personally believe that because you've had your job for 20 years that makes you qualified.  I'm just not sure if the ones they kept are any good. 

Someone needs to be evaluating who they bring in, who should be let go etc.  In 1-2 years they can really make some changes across the organization aside from specifically the players on ice in those seasons.  Pro talent evaluation, true analytics department, scouting, and talent development all need to improve.  Even some of the non-hockey things like PR, talent relations, marketing and gameday experience all need improvement.  

I'd sort of forgotten that The Buffalo News had reported Karmanos was on KA's short list of FO additions back on 3/17.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sources-ex-penguins-hurricanes-exec-jason-karmanos-on-sabres-radar-for-assistant-gm/article_b88b8b98-8741-11eb-98ed-179bddd473e3.html

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think that’s true if Carolina will pay in the same ballpark as what Rod can get by leaving, but he’s not going to take, say $2MM x 3 years just to stay there when he can probably get a guaranteed $18MM or so elsewhere.  

No doubt.  But I don't see Condon low balling RB'A.  He's been with the organization for nearly two decades in some capacity.  Which is why I think you're seeing the push from Carolina to sign him now.  If Condon can get RB'A to re-up his contract now at a team friendly number, that prevents him from getting to the point to where he's competing with Pegulabucks.

Just now, WildCard said:

Maybe they're letting go of scouts in anticipation of the new top guys bringing in their own? Idk just hoping

That would be my guess. With the OHL not currently in session, if you are going to add a bunch of scouts now is the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bringing in a Rutherford would also open the door to a larger amount of quality scouts willing to come.  He probably knows most of the vet scouts around the league.  Rutherford and Karamanos would bring respectability to the front office and would change the narrative and view of many from tire fire to those guys know there stuff, I am more willing to consider going there now. Having these guys to support Adams would be big.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

I get that. Why do Sabrespace posters care so much about it?

I don’t think “we” care about whether or not Chad had something first.  I think “we” care about whether or not the information that Chad shares is credible.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

If and it’s a big IF, Rutherford and Karmanos are hired, I wonder how Adams ego will handle it? More experienced guys above and below him.  Does he use it as a learning experience to help with his growth, or does he go running to Kim if he feels he is being overruled too much?

Enquiring minds want to know!

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

In order for KA to get TP to agree to change things, he had to do is level best to make things work, then when they didn't he brought the case to TP and got the okay for his plan forward.  I think KA understands TP as an insider, as one of his guys, and knew he needed to go through this process before TP would finally relent, if he has indeed done so (the Krueger firing was only one step, setting up hockey operations independent of ownership is the real goal).

This really looks to me like this is something Adams has engineered, rather than had handed to him. It also seems like Karmanos would be his assistant and Rutherford his advisor, so any overrruling would be coming from Kevyn.

44 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I am not a huge fan of Chad's Twitter account, but I gave the podcast a listen and he is much more tolerable there.

Twitter as a venue seems designed to bring out the worst in people.

My initial exposures to Chad rubbed me the wrong way because his style struck me as "I'm smart, you're not, analytics duh"

The more I've seen, the more that has faded. I don't think there is any doubt he is connected, and I think he has become the best media source for Sabres news.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 6

10 hours ago, SDS said:

I think by now, most reasonable people should just agree that future success is not guaranteed, these people my succeed spectacularly or fail spectacularly and just hope for the best. 

There ain’t no saviors in sports, just keep your fingers crossed. 

Well yeah. This seems to go without saying. The real tantalizing part of this story is the Pegulas' extracting themselves from hockey ops, which increases the chance of success.

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Please wave to me on your victory lap.

Would you settle for a flash of man boobs?

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'd sort of forgotten that The Buffalo News had reported Karmanos was on KA's short list of FO additions back on 3/17.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sources-ex-penguins-hurricanes-exec-jason-karmanos-on-sabres-radar-for-assistant-gm/article_b88b8b98-8741-11eb-98ed-179bddd473e3.html

Anyone could write that. They don't have the smoke turning into fire part.

39 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This really looks to me like this is something Adams has engineered, rather than had handed to him. It also seems like Karmanos would be his assistant and Rutherford his advisor, so any overrruling would be coming from Kevyn.

Twitter as a venue seems designed to bring out the worst in people.

My initial exposures to Chad rubbed me the wrong way because his style struck me as "I'm smart, you're not, analytics duh"

The more I've seen, the more that has faded. I don't think there is any doubt he is connected, and I think he has become the best media source for Sabres news.

The only question would be whether he's a good old fashioned gumshoe reporter, meeting under the Skyway every night with "Dick Duff," or whether his brother in law works for the Sabres or something. People who work in and around the Sabres leak worse than West Wing staffers. I mean, by now, everyone's also heard the rumors about the injured player.

Can we just hire these guys already and let them do what needs to be done.  

I think TP is beginning to realize that lean and mean in the scouting area when their is a whole world that plays hockey to a recipe for failure.  Was Jbot's group to large and expensive? Probably, but the shoestring he operated on this year has certainly contributed to the mess on the ice.

If we are going to trade players for picks and prospects at the deadline having more then one pro scout and 5 amateur scouts is a necessity.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Buffalo should have more scouts then any team in the league. Like I said years ago, Buffalo needs to build through the draft because not many veteran players want to play there.

Until ~6 months ago, they did, for almost 10 years they did.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.