2021 Sabres: Worst NHL Team of All Time?

Kruppstahl

17 hours ago, pi2000 said:

10 month layoff 

Covid outbreak 

Injuries 

No real training camp or preseason 

Ridiculously poor puck luck 

Playing in an 8 team super league 

No, dis isn't the worst team ever, it's not a fair comparison, not even close.

It can be true when you have tactic, passes, shots on goal - game picture and will to win, but opponents stronger and play better. Sabres have nothing of it. No game picture and tactic at all. Everything looks poor.

What makes it so much worse is that there are many talented players on the team, and the ownership and front office are actually trying to build a winning team. Not saying they are doing a good job, obviously, but this was not supposed to be a rebuilding season. 

I don't think it's fair to compare this Sabres team to expansion teams from other eras. Back then, expansion teams were very likely to be horrid while they built up their teams. This is a team that has had consistent ownership and a will to win for seven years running, and they suck out loud. 

It's not a stretch to say they are the worst team of the last 30-40 years, and maybe ever. They are definitely the biggest embarrassment. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Skibum said:

What makes it so much worse is that there are many talented players on the team, and the ownership and front office are actually trying to build a winning team. Not saying they are doing a good job, obviously, but this was not supposed to be a rebuilding season. 

I don't think it's fair to compare this Sabres team to expansion teams from other eras. Back then, expansion teams were very likely to be horrid while they built up their teams. This is a team that has had consistent ownership and a will to win for seven years running, and they suck out loud. 

It's not a stretch to say they are the worst team of the last 30-40 years, and maybe ever. They are definitely the biggest embarrassment. 

Yep. 😡

I've been keeping track of this for the last few weeks.  Not surprisingly, if you push numbers around, we keep creeping up this dubious list.  Obviously, a lot could change over the course of an 84 game schedule, but this is what it would look like if the season were to end today.   A couple games with New Jersey on the horizon, so we could work our way off this list completely with an actual win, or heaven forbid, two!!  Even after the two games against Jersey, it is quite possible that we don't win again this season.  Don't think we'd get close to the Capitals of 74-75', but we could easily approach Ottawa and San Jose of 92-93'.  The majority of the teams on this list are expansion teams, so even with our layoff, Covid, injuries, 8 team super division, there's no way a team with this much talent should be anywhere near a list of first year squads.  We may not have the worst team of all-time, but absolutely, without question, the most disappointing!

NHL Worst Seasons.JPG

This is certainly my worst team of all time. I could give a rats ass about any of the other historically bad teams. This team is a disgrace and Terry and Kim should be embarrassed that they are in charge. Its unacceptable on every level. The worst damn owners in this league. You suck.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 3/27/2021 at 8:42 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Well it's hard to compare eras and circumstances but we are poised to have the longest winless streak ever and there's nothing special to tank for compared to Pitt with Sid so I think it's the worst ever. Hard to argue against that. 

Sid and Ovie could both be in this draft, and we’d turn them into Curtis Brown and Ales Kotalik.

Hell, at this point, I’d draft both Brown and Kotalik if I could. Massive upgrades over this.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

lol these reporters love pushing the idea that the Rangers could "restock our cupboards quickly in a trade" when in reality they can't. 

The Kings and Rangers are always being mentioned but I think that's just speculative. Both of those teams seem like they are already on an ascendency back to competing for the playoffs and have lots of young talent waiting so the only way they toss that aside is if they can fleece us for Eichel and we presumably aren't giving him away................hopefully. 

I could see a Boston trade if we accept mostly draft picks as they are desperate to rebuild offense and Krejci's just about done and they love Boston guys but that isn't likely either. 

33 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Go on...

I'd keep him.

But if the team decides to move him I'd prefer they send him out west.

The return would likely dictate that but I don't think I would want to face him as much as they would in the east.

On 3/30/2021 at 8:27 PM, Kong said:

Wawrow looks like a bum. Almost as bad as Steve Bannon, who seems to have mold growing on him. 

I made the conscious decision to rebel against those who bitched about not being able to get their hairs cut because of the coronavirus pandemic. And I've stuck to it. If that makes me look like a bum, it makes you look far smaller for being appearance driven.

Oh, right. We don't get to see what "Kong" (really, i'm having a discussion with someone who calls themselves "kong," fart my life) looks like so we can poke fun at all his/her blemishes.

Good lord.

jw

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.