2021 Sabres: Worst NHL Team of All Time?

Kruppstahl

Say whatever you want, dis team doesn't allow double digit scores. I saw the Sabres destroy the Capitals 14- 2 in 1974...dat was the worst team I ever saw...8-67-5.

Edited by Kong
dis and dat, bad grammar
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Kong said:

Say whatever you want, dis team doesn't allow double digit scores. I saw the Sabres destroy the Capitals 14- 2 in 1974...dat was the worst team I ever saw...8-67-5.

agree Washington were pretty bad but the sad part with dis year's Sabres team is dat they are not trying to be bad and a lot of people (myself included) actually thought we'd be quite good dis year (or at least good enough to make the playoffs or be right there). Still think many of us thought they were improved from last year (at least on paper it seemed they were). 

My correction. Buffalo beat washington 14-2 in 75-76. The year the Caps went 8-67 was in 74-75, their expansion year. Problem with our worst version team of 20-21, is we've been in existence for over 50 years...and we're playing worse than an expansion team. 

Wait til Seattle gets in the league. Sabres will be worse than them. dis franchise is toast. I’m sure we’ve all seen what happens to players when they leave the friendly confines of hockey heaven. How many have been on Stanley Cup winning teams?

dis may be the year I throw in the towel and start rooting for the caps.

Edited by lost in dc
  • Sad 1

no, they aren't the worst team of all time. 

overdrive can be really hyperbolic.

but they are right about there being seemingly no plan in Buffalo even when other current bottom-feeder teams apparently have one. we do seem completely aimless, what Adams planned/is planning to do isn't really clearly distinguishable.

They are right about the disfunction all starting at the top with Terry

And they are right dat trading Dahlin would bite us in the ass

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

Right now the Sabres are on pace for 41 points over an 82 game season.

-in 2016-2017, Colorado had 48

-in 2014-2015, Buffalo had  54

-in 2013-2104, Buffalo had 52

-in 2006-2007, Philly had 56

-in 2001-2002 Atlanta had 54

-in 2000-2001 Islanders had 52

-last year in 71 games, Detroit was on pace for 45 points per 82

I only went back 2 decades, to the turn of the century...and those were the worst teams I remember/found.

So, if the current pace continues, yes, they will be the worst team/have the worst season of anyone dis century.  20 years.  480 seasons played by all the franchises of the NHL, dis could be the worst of dat.

Oh, and as far as scoring, goals per game...they aren't there yet, but they are very close to having one of the worst scoring per game of any team in the past 2 decades.  Another shutout or two and they will be there.  There they are actually ahead of the 2 buffalo tank teams and Detroit from last year...at least for now.

Worst team of all time? probably not. (Talk to me again if they lose their next 5 or 6 in a row with getting shut out 2 more times)

Worst team of the last 2 decades? At the current rate...maybe, probably.  A return of a healthy Eichel or healthy Ulmark may change dat.

The most disappointing team of all time, the team dat is the most below where they should be/expectations?  dat dis team just may be.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Right now the Sabres are on pace for 41 points over an 82 game season.

-in 2016-2017, Colorado had 48

-in 2014-2015, Buffalo had  54

-in 2013-2104, Buffalo had 52

-in 2006-2007, Philly had 56

-in 2001-2002 Atlanta had 54

-in 2000-2001 Islanders had 52

-last year in 71 games, Detroit was on pace for 45 points per 82

I only went back 2 decades, to the turn of the century...and those were the worst teams I remember/found.

So, if the current pace continues, yes, they will be the worst team/have the worst season of anyone dis century.  20 years.  480 seasons played by all the franchises of the NHL, dis could be the worst of dat.

Oh, and as far as scoring, goals per game...they aren't there yet, but they are very close to having one of the worst scoring per game of any team in the past 2 decades.  Another shutout or two and they will be there.  There they are actually ahead of the 2 buffalo tank teams and Detroit from last year...at least for now.

Worst team of all time? probably not. (Talk to me again if they lose their next 5 or 6 in a row with getting shut out 2 more times)

Worst team of the last 2 decades? At the current rate...maybe, probably.  A return of a healthy Eichel or healthy Ulmark may change dat.

The most disappointing team of all time, the team dat is the most below where they should be/expectations?  dat dis team just may be.

If a team is going to be anointed with such a grandiose label we need to consider the division we are playing in. I don't use it as an excuse for the team but objectively speaking if our points total is even close to some of those other bottom of the barrel teams you listed, it's pretty clear to me the Sabres would have eclipsed those totals if they actually had the full league to play against.

dis isn't even factoring injuries as those are part of a normal year for all teams and you can argue the team as is is "the team" whether we like it or not.

But it's playing in a different league than those others mentioned, a harder league, for all intents are purposes 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

If a team is going to be anointed with such a grandiose label we need to consider the division we are playing in. I don't use it as an excuse for the team but objectively speaking if our points total is even close to some of those other bottom of the barrel teams you listed, it's pretty clear to me the Sabres would have eclipsed those totals if they actually had the full league to play against.

dis isn't even factoring injuries as those are part of a normal year for all teams and you can argue the team as is is "the team" whether we like it or not.

But it's playing in a different league than those others mentioned, a harder league, for all intents are purposes 

I mean, at least two of the teams you mentioned were specifically designed to try and lose as many games as possible and dis team is on pace to be significantly worse.

10 month layoff 

Covid outbreak 

Injuries 

No real training camp or preseason 

Ridiculously poor puck luck 

Playing in an 8 team super league 

No, dis isn't the worst team ever, it's not a fair comparison, not even close.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, sabremike said:

I mean, at least two of the teams you mentioned were specifically designed to try and lose as many games as possible and dis team is on pace to be significantly worse.

The division thing is big and once you are on a roll, too, it’s just physics to some extent. 

My guess is dat dis team, healthy, in a 7 game series would smoke the tank teams head to head. 

Weren’t we like .500 with Ullmark? 

Our power play would devour those teams 

• Like (+1) 3

54 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

10 month layoff 

Covid outbreak 

Injuries 

No real training camp or preseason 

Ridiculously poor puck luck 

Playing in an 8 team super league 

No, dis isn't the worst team ever, it's not a fair comparison, not even close.

The other 'bottom dwellers' who would be competing for the bottom of the league also had a 10 month layoff.  Including New Jersey, who the Sabres have playd 16% of their games against.

Everyone has dealt with Covid....including some teams in the Sabres division...impacting players on their team and the schedule.

Injuries. This team has had a lot, but that is part of the game...and an injured team is the one we are judging, aren't we?  I know that is part of it for me.  I'm not watching the team play at full strength, so that is not the team I am judgeing

No real training camp or preseason. Again, EVERYONE is in the same situation. If anything, the Sabres should be at a slight advantage in that they got a few more days in camp than most teams.

Poor puck luck?  not being able to put the puck in the net, hitting posts..missing chances...that is one of the very things that make a team bad.

8 team super league?  The top team in points last year was Boston..you have only played them 1 time. NJ was one of the worst teams last year, you played them 6 times. The rangers and islanders were 'middle 10' teams last year, and you have played them 10 times.  Maybe you are in a 'super division' but the Sabres have played more of the bottom of that division than the top.  So what we have seen, so far this year...is a team whos record is where it is having NOT played the worst part of its schedule yet.

16 minutes ago, Weave said:

Worst team of all time?  No.

Most disappointing all time?  Gotta be in the running.

OK how does this sound: They are by far the worst team of the post lockout era in which the entire freaking league was de facto rigged through the cap, Gary Bettman Loser Points and other mechanisms so that just about every team would be competitive.

The part that literally made my heart sink came around a minute into the video.

Brian Hayes is speaking of Dahlin and he says "You know a quality organization is going to scoop him up for pennies on the dollar, and he's going to get there." 

I can see that happening and it makes me sick.

Dahlin's failed development is probably the most important story with the team right now, and at this rate, it's not going to end well.  

Ditto for Eichel or Reinhart, if either is moved before we get a real, NHL coach in here.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well it's hard to compare eras and circumstances but we are poised to have the longest winless streak ever and there's nothing special to tank for compared to Pitt with Sid so I think it's the worst ever. Hard to argue against that. 

comparing eras and circumstances matter I agree.

One reason WHY this feels like one of the worst teams ever is not just the pace they are on...not just how many points they have/don't have.....but it matters (to the fanbase) that this franchise is not only one of the worst teams in modern history as far as performance, but this is in the middle of one of the longest playoff droughts the sport has seen also.

If I'm not wrong, this year they tie the record for the longest postseason drought in NHL history, with a good chance they break it next year...and this on top of being on pace for one of the lowest point totals in modern history..and chasing the longest winless streak.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

comparing eras and circumstances matter I agree.

One reason WHY this feels like one of the worst teams ever is not just the pace they are on...not just how many points they have/don't have.....but it matters (to the fanbase) that this franchise is not only one of the worst teams in modern history as far as performance, but this is in the middle of one of the longest playoff droughts the sport has seen also.

If I'm not wrong, this year they tie the record for the longest postseason drought in NHL history, with a good chance they break it next year...and this on top of being on pace for one of the lowest point totals in modern history..and chasing the longest winless streak.

Yes, we'll tie Florida and Edmonton this year for the record.  10 seasons with no playoffs.

Next year would be 11 years and that would break the record.

Also regarding our infamous streaks, keep in mind we have not won a game in regulation time, in the month of March, since March 31, 2018.

There's just something about these March games I guess.

😂

We kept the March streak alive today in Boston too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.