Add ESPN to the list.

deluca67

There seems to be a real genuine consensous about the Sabres this year. 13th place seems to be where they will fall.

A clip for the review :

"Signing a veteran, scoring forward -- and the market was flooded with them -- might have been nice, but the Sabres stood pat. When a team doesn't make a move, especially when all the teams around them at least give the impression of having made improvements, it sometimes has a negative impact on the dressing room."

There seems to be a real genuine consensous about the Sabres this year. 13th place seems to be where they will fall.

A clip for the review :

"Signing a veteran, scoring forward -- and the market was flooded with them -- might have been nice, but the Sabres stood pat. When a team doesn't make a move, especially when all the teams around them at least give the impression of having made improvements, it sometimes has a negative impact on the dressing room."

While I would definitely liked to see the Sabres keep Zhitnik and, considering that Lindy and Miro didn't seem to be able to work together and Lindy wasn't going anywhere, would like to have seen the Sabres get ANYTHING for Miro and even would have liked to see the Sabres bring in an Adrian Aucoin - I don't agree with the ESPN assessment. The Sabres only picked up 2 guys, but except for Z, M, and Patrick; they didn't LOSE anything. I mean I hope I'm not the only one not crying that Eric Boulton is now a Thrasher and Brad Brown is a Leaf.

ALL the teams around them cannot have improved themselves vs where they were 2 years ago. Take the Isles for example. 2 years ago they snuck into the playoffs. They had a good, but not great team. To that team they added Sopel, York, Z, and Miro. Wow, that should make them top 4, right? Wrong, because they also lost Aucoin, Hamrlik, Jonsson, and their captain Mike Peca. The Isles have roughly the same team they had last time out. They gave the IMPRESSION of making the team better, but now that Alexei friggin Yashin is the LEADER of this team - can that have a positive impact in the dressing room? I'd say the level of play is roughly equivalent to what it was last time out, maybe slightly better; and yes Z and Miro have worn A's (and the odd C), but they aren't the leaders, Yashin is. I was watching the Isles rah-rah show the day I couldn't watch the Sabres game. Kvasha had a telling quote: "When I heard Peca was gone, it was a great day for Alex." If guys like Alfredsson and Peca can't get Yashin to play with heart, I don't think Miro and Parrish can do it. Now this is Yashin's team, that can't be a good thing for Isles fans.

For the most part, the other teams that made splashes in free agency also lost players in free agency. There is no way in the world that the Sabres are worse than the Rangers, and unless Alison and Lindros have huge seasons, there's no way the Leafs are better either. As I've posted before, I see Buffalo between 6-10, most likely #7.

Dave.

yea i would agree with a 7-9th place finish IF!!!!!!! the goaltending is consistant and solid all the way through without if were screwed big time and well be back in the basement... but lets face it... if we don't make the playoffs this year aren't ruff and regier fired? isn't that the way it works?

Guest Kristian
if we don't make the playoffs this year aren't ruff and regier fired? isn't that the way it works?

Yeah, Quinn says that's the way it works .... EVERY year :-)

Guest Kristian
Now this is Yashin's team, that can't be a good thing for Isles fans.

Hmm, even though I obviously knew that Yashin was... Well, Yashin ... I never really thought of it the way you're putting it.

You're right, Isles fans must be feeling a bit like Sabres fans when Tiny-Tim and Mascara Man came to town, riding on the mule that is Darcy Regier.

hmmm i suppose that is true... its been a few years now... hopefully golisano will step in and at least fire ruff and regier... or even at least ruff... one... anybody... somebody... just shake it up and let everyone know there jobs aren't secure...

A clip for the review :

I'm going to have to diagree with this. All media members do is look at where the big names went and pick them as the good teams. I think the Sabres will sneak up on a few people this year and shut some of these experts up. I hope. :rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...john&id=2179950

Buccigross said some decent things about the team.  He ranks them at 10th but said he wanted to put them in the top 8.

Of the columnists that cover hockey, Buccigross is definitely the 2nd best; right behind Jim Kelley. I don't always agree with them, but both produce very well thought out columns. Reading Buccigross' columns you can really tell that the guy loves this sport.

The only problem I have now is, I can't FIND Kelley's column. I know he's on the radio sometimes on The Fan 590 out of Toronto, but haven't found an online column since last year.

If anyone knows where to find his stuff, please let me know.

Thanks,

Dave.

Of the columnists that cover hockey, Buccigross is definitely the 2nd best; right behind Jim Kelley. I don't always agree with them, but both produce very well thought out columns. Reading Buccigross' columns you can really tell that the guy loves this sport.

The only problem I have now is, I can't FIND Kelley's column. I know he's on the radio sometimes on The Fan 590 out of Toronto, but haven't found an online column since last year.

If anyone knows where to find his stuff, please let me know.

Thanks,

Dave.

You can read Kelley on ESPN.com

He did some of the hockey previews. I'm not sure if he has a column.

I'm going to have to diagree with this. All media members do is look at where the big names went and pick them as the good teams. I think the Sabres will sneak up on a few people this year and shut some of these experts up. I hope. :rolleyes:

Your're right.

The Hockey News rarely puts in any effort :P

Archived