Sabres Trade Eric Staal To Montreal for 2021 3rd and 5th Round Picks

Brawndo

12 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

The minor league team is bare. Picks are good. Staal was expendable with Cozens advancement 

Hopefully that concludes our trip through the no-2C desert, 2018-2021

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

The minor league team is bare. Picks are good. Staal was expendable with Cozens advancement 

I wouldn’t consider the the Amerks as “bare.” They are 6-3-1. Players on the team include Quinn, Ruotsalainen, Samuelsson, Laaksonen, 6K, and Bryson, Borgen and Asplund before they were brought up. I could also see Murray as a solid bottom line player, as well as Pekar with the right development. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

10 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Not exactly.

Routsalainen was the leading scorer in Finland before moving to NA this year and he's 22 (and should be in Buffalo)

Also the following draftees are in Rochester

Murray, Samuelsson, Laaksonen, Fitzgerald, Quinn, Bryson (recalled), Borgen (recalled), Asplund (recalled), Quinn, Pekar and of course UPL.  

Quinn (2020 1st)

Samuelsson (2018 2nd)

Pekar (2018 4th)

UPL (2017 2nd)

Laaksonen (2017 3rd)

Bryson (2017 (4th)

Asplund (2016 2nd)

Fitzgerald (2016 3rd)

Murray (2016 4th)

Borgen (2015 4th)

Other guys coming include Johnson (2019 1st), Portillo (2019 3rd), and probably Weissbach (2017 7th).  Maybe JJP makes the jump also next season.  

Don't be surprised if UPL, Murray and R2 get a look see soon.

On 3/27/2021 at 2:47 PM, triumph_communes said:

I don’t think he trade had to do with anyone other than Eric Staal.   He was ass.  Glad they got anything for him.  Now do the same with Montour, Miiler, Hall and Eakin.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

The dis and dat thing is killing me.

Please make it stop.

I'm pretty sure that I am not the most pedantic among us and I'm ready to sip some hemlock tea already.

It’s been off almost two days. This and that. 

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

We're tired of excuses so we haven't put much stock in it, but there is truth in the COVID thing marking the start of this season's fall into the pit.

Lot of new players, and it lulled the team's ability to jell. Affected enough of them physically that it slowed their overall game. Couple that with the fact they weren't talented enough and were incredibly fragile mentally given the team's history. Add in their franchise centre, their top defensive defenceman and their only competent goalie all pulling up lame and the snowball turned into an avalanche.

Good teams survive, but this team isn't strong enough to deal with regular adversity, let alone what they faced this year.

Edited by dudacek

On 3/27/2021 at 1:15 PM, Huckleberry said:

Personally I think the play of the entire team went downhill after the covid19/devils fiasco.   But even those first 10 games It always feeled he was a step behind the play.

The way Staal laid it out certainly sounds like it was a much bigger deal than most of us are thinking.  Maybe he was just making excuses.  The season was lost once Eichel got hurt. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

***** Staal. That's all I have to stay.  You were brought in to be ***** veteran leadership and that was too much for you.

I'll say it again, he's my most hated Sabre of all time.   He failed miserably at everything he was brought in here to do.... and gave zero F's .   

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I'll say it again, he's my most hated Sabre of all time.   He failed miserably at everything he was brought in here to do.... and gave zero F's .   

If only one could have predicted such a thing during that interview after he became a Sabre.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I don’t know.  He’s not exactly lighting it up on a better team.  He might just be done.  

He’s  no Kozlov.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.